Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Dynamax Mower Advice

I only put Dynamax on there to make it relevant to this site.

Someone on here, I thought owned a landscaping business??? can't remember who.

Anyway, after moving, I find myself in need of a mower. Dealing with 14 acres, but only 2 acres are cleared. Just over one acre being finished lawn. Having said that, I have a 200ft driveway I need to mow on either side AND the first 36" or so around the cul-de-sac we live on. Most of it is fairly flat...but might be a little bank around the drive and road.

My initial though was a zero turn dedicated mower. Then I thought I might want to clear some trails, so tractor...but it might be a waste for a tractor in that I don't have the space to store it yet and I might only clear trails, once every few years and I can rent for that purpose.

Right now, I have just looked at a John Deer 540R...the only downside being, in the fall, the largest bagger I can put on there is 6 bushel.

Anyway, just looking for some advice/suggestions.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:14 PM   #2

We have a Kubota BX23 that gets split amongst 3 family households that live fairly close to one another. There is a mow deck attachment but we do not own it. We have the loader and backhoe attachments. So, I can’t address your specific question(s) about mowing, I CAN say that “Kubby” has been ULTRA reliable ULTRA easy to service. I have never owned/operated a Deere or anything else in this size or price point, so it’s hard for me to compare, but BX23 has been virtually flawless for many years now.

https://www.kubotausa.com/docs/defau...rsn=c4a4e85b_8

Bringing this back around to Dynamax relevance, we just picked up our Isata 5 from Longhorn RV in Mineola TX and they are also a Spartan Mower dealer. Now, I live in the Rocky Mountains and mowers don’t exactly do me any good, so I don’t pay much attention. However, I’m a curious soul and like to ask questions. That means that when I am in an RV Dealership and I see mowers, my curiosity spikes pretty hard. Much to my wife’s dismay, I asked a lot of questions and they were VERY happy to talk to me about these mowers. They claim that they simply put all others to shame. Anyway, rumor has it that you know “Coop” at Longhorn pretty well, so it might be worth a call to him.

https://www.longhornpowersports.com/...t=lawn%20mower
Old 07-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Commercial Member

I know those guys and those mowers....but Its not a wide open field and I don't see my mowing my lawn at 65mph lol. Those are some pretty wicked mowers.

And while its not about the money...it is somewhat about the money.

As I look at tractors, I see new ones start in the $13k range plus attachments. If I used it, I could justify that cost. But if I only ever use it to mow, then for half the price, I can have a really nice mower that is a decent amount faster. Therein lies the dilemma. I don't want a Ferrari to use as a golf cart, nor a back hoe to dig 3 post holes.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

I can vouch for John Deere. I have a 314 from the early 80's I use on my small farm that just won't quit. I tow one of these behind it in the early spring when the grass is really thick and heavy, and again in the fall for leaf pickup.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...yABEgIEuvD_BwE
Old 07-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

My friend has this: https://www.dixiechopper.com/

I hope when my 48" zero turn Toro grows up it will turn into a Dixie Chopper.
Go Gators
Rrzasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
Commercial Member

And its a larger grass catcher that makes me lean tractor over zero turn. But then I need to store a garden tractor and the catcher.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #7

I have the 1025R John Deere Tractor with a 60 inch deck. My only regret is that I did not get it a few years sooner.

Having said that the 60 inch deck does not have the center roller an can scalp places in the yard if not level (the yard), the salesman told me to go with the bigger deck as the 54 inch is at the same line as the wheels. But the drive over deck is nice but as mentioned you loose the center deck roller the other mowers have.

I have the loader option but it is an expensive wheel barrow Makes taking my fifth wheel hitch in and out easy though.

You can get a catcher but big $$

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #8

We use our tractor primarily for snow clearing. We have 6000 sq ft to clear and even though we're in SoCal we can get nasty Pacific storms that can dump 2' overnight. One storm about 3 years ago dumped 3' in one storm. https://mahindrausa.com/tractors/150...s/1526-4wd-hst
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160121_115928_001.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	180049  
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #9

We have a zero turn John Deere. Nothing like a Deere
This is used to mow our 25,000 sq ft lawn.

I have an old Ford 58 Jubilee with a brush deck to do the rough areas around the ranch.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #10

The 540R is more of a residential mower. It will not last a fraction of the time a commercial zero-turn will. If you want a Deere, something like a 930M is what you'll be glad you did years from now. Yes, commercial ztr's are expensive but this is a huge example of "you get what you pay for". I've told people many, many times, if your budget is limited to homeowner prices, buy a good used commercial mower with 500 hours and it will still far outlast a homeowner machine.

The BX Kubota tractors are really good tractors. You can do a lot with them, include mow with either a belly mower or a finishing mower. Other manufacturers are making similar machines these days. I would strongly look at some lesser known brands such as Kioti, TYM, and LS. Fantastic tractors without paying for the name.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Yes, the guy said the 540R was the high end residential, we also looked at the entry ZTR, but I don't recall which...it may have been the 930. It just seemed a lot bigger and I was a bit concerned about storage. He did say, that deck would hold up much better.. it was clearly more robust on construction. So maybe the ZTR is back in the mix.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #12

My initial though was a zero turn dedicated mower. Then I thought I might want to clear some trails, so tractor...but it might be a waste for a tractor in that I don't have the space to store it yet and I might only clear trails, once every few years and I can rent for that purpose.

Break down and build (from a kit) or buy a preassembled small shed big enough to drive the tractor into, they aren't that big. Keep the fuel and accessories in the shed. I like your tractor idea too, you could eventually get a snow blower for it and other tools.

I used to mow 4 acres and used a high speed zero turn mower, I think it was about $10k new, but that was 20 years ago.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #13

For someone like you that lives in the great white north, I would get something that mows in the summer and can clear 200' of driveway in the winter.

2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU toad
Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
Commercial Member

I was thinking about that too, but I was already going to get a side-by-side to haul some mulch and let the kids ride trails in. I figured I could use that to plow..enclosure and heater are pretty innexpensive. Or maybe I can just splurge on the tractor (skip the side by side) and have them drive that around. The wife would prefer that speed over the side by side.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #15

Whatever tractor you get, check to see if they have a mulch plate option for the deck, I installed mulching blades and pop on the mulch plate in the fall and whenI drive over the leaves they disappear completely! I haven’t bagged leaves for 20 years, I used to bust my tail with those bags LOL, now I chuckle watching my neighbor fight them.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #16

I was in the mowing business for 30 years, and also owned a store selling mowing equipment. Have a look at the Grasshopper front-deck ZTR machines. They have a fantastic line of baggers for their machines. Grasshopper front-deck machines can use other Grasshopper attachments, like a snow plow or a snow blower in place of the mower deck. Really easy to hook up and unhook. You can even get an enclosed winter cab if you want one. Grasshoppers come in a variety of sizes, both diesel and gasoline. Their machines will last a lifetime. If you buy one, it will probably outlast you.
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #17

I send 16 mowing crews out every day!
There are a number ways to go:
1. Small tractor w belly mower or rear mount mower
2. Res or comm ztr
3. Comm walk behind...fast and good for exercise
4. Front mount commercial mower
5. Stand on commercial mower

We run all stand on mowers (we have some walk behinds that we use as trim mowers)

These mowers are fast, safe, and do a great job.

Go to an equipment store and try a bunch of different units.

Consider buying a well maintained used commercial unit of your choosing. Then buy the tractor clearing and other work.
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #18

Nothing is more fun than helping someone spend their money!!

So, you need something that can bush hog (pto says tractor), and will mow and bag, and also maybe plow or blow snow, I’ve heard that can be an issue in Elkhart, and the kids can drive.

I’m thinking a visit to the John Deere dealer to test drive the 1025R should be in your future!

Tractor shopping is right up there with RV shopping.

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	180080
caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #19

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	180084

This is what you need, 85 JD HP and 22’ of finish mowing!!
mikew968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by caswelld View Post
Nothing is more fun than helping someone spend their money!!

So, you need something that can bush hog (pto says tractor), and will mow and bag, and also maybe plow or blow snow, I’ve heard that can be an issue in Elkhart, and the kids can drive.

I’m thinking a visit to the John Deere dealer to test drive the 1025R should be in your future!

Tractor shopping is right up there with RV shopping.
Attachment 180080
As I mentioned earlier there are pros and cons but I would buy mine again. Esp when removing the 5th wheel hitch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tractor1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	180086  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote