Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Dynamax REV Water lines excess hole

Hi I have a 2017 Dynamax Rev that has a 9" round hole cut in the bottom of the flooring base under the vehicle. This is left from the factory without it being covered and because of that rodents can access the inside. I've used many things to cover this area and I've not been successful yet. I just wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions.
Super upset at Forest River for making this problem and for not having any help for me when I contacted them.
Thanks
Nancy
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Commercial Member

What is the last 6 of your VIN?

Who specifically did not help you?

Spray Foam would likely take care of that, but I would have to know more about what you are referring to.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #3

Did that

I've sprayed touch form and a rat ate thought. I've even used 2 part epoxy and metal mesh and after a few trips it fell off because the surface of the floor moves and I guess that caused the weld to break.
I wish Forest river would have taken care of this issue in the factory when they cut the hole in the flooring.
I'll take pictures and post them later.
Thanks
Nancy
Old 09-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Happy to give some advice and look back on the VIN notes and repair history once I have some pictures and last 6 of the VIN.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:18 PM   #5

Last 6 Vin #

Hi my Vin # 518353 2017 on a 2015 chassis Dynamax REV
I emailed Don Dobecki and he told me "yeah rodents can be tough" he offered no solution to the problem which was caused by them. He also had no solution for my recall issues either. However he did help with reimbursed me for replacing the bathroom faucet that was to short and water ran on the counters.
I also have no clear coat on the cap of my cab so it looks oxidized, when I spoke with Don about this he told me to buy Meguiar's Oxidation remover which I did and it is still not shiny or looks good. I was told my the professional RV detailers that its not clear coated.
Thanks
Nancy
Old 09-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #6

Here is some pictures

It's hard to see but it 9" round. This cage that I've built seems to be working right now but I'm sure it will fall off as well. I'm not sure how to post a picture. I don't know what the ULR of my picture is??

[QUOTE=bclemens;2411405]What is the last 6 of your VIN?

Who specifically did not help you?

Spray Foam would likely take care of that, but I would have to know more about what
Old 09-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #7

Pictures of hole

Here is some pictures. Thank you for help.
Do you have any information about the recalls? I'm also wanting to add leveling Jack's do you know who can help with that
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_112237.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	238914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_112156.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	238915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_112207.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	238916   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_112218.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	238917  
Old 09-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Commercial Member

My apologies that we didn't offer any advice on that. Mice can in fact be tough to control...they squeeze through holes we might not even be able to see. A quick google search will yield countless people trying to keep them out of RV and home.

Here is a quick article that covers most of the basics.

https://thedyrt.com/magazine/lifesty...s%20of%20entry

What we would offer up as a solution is what is shown there. Spray foam, but you might want to stuff steel wool in the hole first, then caulk or spray foam over that. I have never chewed on steel wool, but I am told it is not pleasant and that mice don't like it either.

As for recalls, if it was chassis related, he was correct. That has to be administered by Fiat/Chrysler, the maker of the chassis. There isn't a lot we can do there, but it does look like he had given you an email to the Mopar customer service side at one time. That may have been back when you purchased in March 2018, as it looks like you mentioned some rodent damage in the engine area at that time.

The front cap is not actually painted, so they are correct, no clear coat. Tt is just gray gel-coat fiberglass like the sidewalls and requires the same maintenance. However on horizontal surfaces in heavy sun areas, the cap oxidizes faster than the walls. Regular waxing helps. If the upkeep is too much, you can also have someone clear coat the cap. As I mentioned, it is the same material as the sidewalls but being vertical the walls hold their gloss longer.

I have attached a sheet on Fiberglass maintenance and restoring the gloss. I highly recommend an orbital buffer to make it much easier.

Once you load a picture of the area, I am happy to try to provide some additional options.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6998_RV_CareMaintenance.pdf (296.5 KB, 31 views)

Old 09-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
Commercial Member

As for recalls.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Just plug in your VIN here and it will give you the recall info. I did that for your VIN and it lists the recalls. You should have received a letter from FCA (Fiat Chrysler) on this as it is their recall.

At the bottom of the recall it said this...
Manufacturer's Notes
For more information, visit recalls.mopar.com or call 1-800-853-1403. Please have your VIN ready when calling.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #10

Thank you for your response.
The whole in the bottom of the RV is where the water PEX pipe go through the floor, this round circle is 9" and because of its size and the fact that it is hollow between it and the subfloor no amount of touch foam or copper mesh will fill that space it's a void. The only way to secure it is to cover it however the Pek pipe is sticking out from the floor so you don't have a clear place to adhere a cover over the 9 inch hole. I have used many things currently I have wire mesh adhered with adhesive and flex tape that is what you see in the pictures, up in the hole is a gallon paint cap lid, it's the size of the hole, then copper mesh is spray adhesive to the bottom to cover the hole, then the wire mesh you see in the pictures. But the PEK water pipe keeps you from being able to go all the way around it you end up with a small figure tip size gap. And as you know those rodents can get in the smallest of holes. I know this is the location of entry Because they chew through and you can see it. I'm just asking if anyone else is having this issue. Because you have it to adhere to the under insulation flooring and the floor moves everything you adhered to it comes loose. I was asking if other people are experiencing this and if anyone had a suggestion.
As for the recall I understand that it is the chassis that has the recall and yes I do know and did say I have contacted the dealer and that has been over a year. I was just asking who else is having this issue? And if anyone has gotten the repairs? I'm going on this long trip and I truly am afraid so I'm looking for advice from people who have this problem or have had it.
As for the cap faded color look thanks again for the advise. I have continued to pay professionals to use all the suggested supplies as I have since the day I bought it, I guess it's never going to be shiny😥
I'm looking for other REV owners that are having any of these issues. Just looking for soulutions I love my Rv.
Thank
Nancy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200911_112237.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	238919   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_112156.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	238920   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_112207.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	238921   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_112221.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	238922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_125839.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	238923  

Name:	20200911_125607.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	238924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_130944.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	238927   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_130713.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	238928  
Old 09-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #11

Thank you for your response.
The whole in the bottom of the RV is where the water PEX pipe go through the floor, this round circle is 9" and because of its size and the fact that it is hollow between it and the subfloor no amount of touch foam or copper mesh will fill that space it's a void. The only way to secure it is to cover it however the Pek pipe is sticking out from the floor so you don't have a clear place to adhere a cover over the 9 inch hole. I have used many things currently I have wire mesh adhered with adhesive and flex tape that is what you see in the pictures, up in the hole is a gallon paint cap lid, it's the size of the hole, then copper mesh is spray adhesive to the bottom to cover the hole, then the wire mesh you see in the pictures. But the PEK water pipe keeps you from being able to go all the way around it you end up with a small figure tip size gap. And as you know those rodents can get in the smallest of holes. I know this is the location of entry Because they chew through and you can see it. I'm just asking if anyone else is having this issue. Because you have it to adhere to the under insulation flooring and the floor moves everything you adhered to it comes loose. I was asking if other people are experiencing this and if anyone had a suggestion.
As for the recall I understand that it is the chassis that has the recall and yes I do know and did say I have contacted the dealer and that has been over a year. I was just asking who else is having this issue? And if anyone has gotten the repairs? I'm going on this long trip and I truly am afraid so I'm looking for advice from people who have this problem or have had it.
As for the cap faded color look thanks again for the advise. I have continued to pay professionals to use all the suggested supplies as I have since the day I bought it, I guess it's never going to be shiny😥
I'm looking for other REV owners that are having any of these issues. Just looking for soulutions I love my Rv.
Thank
Nancy
Old 09-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #12

I have a 2017 REV RB. The factory sticker on the door says it was built in April 2016 but the VIN is for 2015.

I have never seen the bottom of my REV and so far I am happy that I have not had a rodent problem.
I am not aware of any holes.

My cap also looks worse than the sides. As BC mentioned that is due to environmental conditions. I can’t get up there to wax it so I do my awkward best from the ground using a long pole. I used Dawn once to wash that area but I believe that made it worse. I use wash and wax products now.

My REV is uncovered outside year round. I am well into 4 years of ownership and still get compliments regularly.

There was a discussion of spray foam types a year or two ago. One was more resistant to rodents and may have been stickier.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:51 PM   #13

I have at least two open recalls. The dealers didn’t have the parts and Dodge didn’t have a solution. I had it in twice but the recall fix was not done. Strongly confirm with your Dodge dealer that they have the parts need to complete the recall.

I can’t tell from your photos the location of the hole. Is that the fresh water tank drain line or the low point drain?

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #14
Norwood Auto Italia

The oxidation problem with fiberglass is very common on boats. A product we use in the marine business that helps restore and maintain the gloss is called Poli Glow. It has to be applied consistently so you will need to be on a ladder or scaffold but it works.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water