Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #1

Dynamax Satellite dish question

Hello everyone! My name is Fred and I'm from Branchburg, NJ. I'm a newbie to RV'ing (and forums for that matter!) and we just got a pre-owned 2019 Dynamax Isata 3. I bought it down in Ft. Myers and picked it up a few weeks ago, right before everything started shutting down. So I at least got to use it for 1200 miles and man - did I love it! My wife and I have been dreaming about doing this for a long time. We didn't even rent - we went straight for it. We got a good deal - I just hope we get to use it sooner than later. It looks pretty good in my driveway though!

I've been researching a lot (since Rv'ing is completely new to me) and one thing I have not been able to figure out has to do with the satellite and antenna connections on the roof. I've attached a couple of pictures of my vehicle.

I see on the roof an area where I think a satellite dish would go - it has a coax and power connector and a metallic-base of some sort. This vehicle also has a Winegard RoadTrip T4 satellite system. Is it possible the prior owners added a second satellite connection for some reason? Or is this standard?

Anyway thanks for reading and I look forward to RVing and learning for you all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DynamaxIsata3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	377.5 KB
ID:	227052   Click image for larger version

Name:	DynamaxIsata3-roof.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	227053  
bruska7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Team

I copied this post over from the welcome mat subforum and am giving it a little bump to boot. Hopefully everyone here can get the new member to the Dynamax club squared away.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruska7 View Post
Hello everyone! My name is Fred and I'm from Branchburg, NJ. I'm a newbie to RV'ing (and forums for that matter!) and we just got a pre-owned 2019 Dynamax Isata 3. I bought it down in Ft. Myers and picked it up a few weeks ago, right before everything started shutting down. So I at least got to use it for 1200 miles and man - did I love it! My wife and I have been dreaming about doing this for a long time. We didn't even rent - we went straight for it. We got a good deal - I just hope we get to use it sooner than later. It looks pretty good in my driveway though!

I've been researching a lot (since Rv'ing is completely new to me) and one thing I have not been able to figure out has to do with the satellite and antenna connections on the roof. I've attached a couple of pictures of my vehicle.

I see on the roof an area where I think a satellite dish would go - it has a coax and power connector and a metallic-base of some sort. This vehicle also has a Winegard RoadTrip T4 satellite system. Is it possible the prior owners added a second satellite connection for some reason? Or is this standard?

Anyway thanks for reading and I look forward to RVing and learning for you all!
Very strange, definitely not factory or at least not that I have seen. Since you already had the T-4 satellite and Winegard Connect, I cant think of what they might have added and that far to the front of the roof is strange. Is the prior owner not available to ask?

Welcome to the Dynamax forum, hope you find us to come back for help when you need it.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #4

Looks like there was a bigger satellite up front and then removed maybe it was tracvision or something similar.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #5

That footprint looks like a Winegard Traveler sat antenna installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ppp.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	227062  
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum.

I agree Winegard Travler antenna
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Agreed, I have the Dish Winegard Travler on my Mercedes Solera, same imprint & location.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #8
jkoenig24

Welcome Fred! I can't help re your sat-dish question but, since you told us you're new to RVing, I have two bits of advice that will make you a safer, smarter RVer. Once RVers can gather again and, RV rallies are permitted, find and attend an RV Boot Camp. The Escapees host an EXCELLENT RVBC that is usually run either the weekend before one of their major Escapade rallies or, periodically at the Escapee's HQ in Livingston, TX. Other groups also offer this important training, some being week long events (more social activities). FMCA, RVSEF, RV~Dreams are groups that quickly come to mind. Online, Mark Polk of RVEducation101.com has most of this training available on DVDs and, Chuck Woodbury at RVTavel.com is also a wealth of information. Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. At RVBC, all of the systems found on a modern RV are explained and demystified. RVBC also explains all the "numbers" affecting RVs (GVWR, GCWR, axle, wheel, tire, hitch etc, etc, etc ratings). These confusing numbers cause trouble for many RVers and, understanding how these numbers "work" is the first step in protecting you and your rig. You'll also get to meet MANY other newbies at any RVBC you attend. Ideally, you would have taken this important training before your purchase but, it's still a well worthwhile investment of your time and money for your future RV lifestyle. The second tip is to get a "Smart Weigh" done on your RV. Smart Weigh accurately measures the weight at EACH tire position after which a trained technician will sit down with you and go over your numbers. This is generally a modest one time expense (unless you make MAJOR changes to your rig). Smart Weigh is MUCH better that weighing your rig at a CAT Scale. Smart Weigh is available at many major RV rallies and costs between $50 ~ $100 (depending on how many wheel positions are weighed. Again, WELCOME!, Regards, John
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #9

Excellent!

Thanks to wmtire for moving my post somewhere it will be seen.

To milkman55 - I'm glad i wasn't the only one thinking this setup was a bit strange. The prior owner isn't available (i got it used from a dealership down in Ft. Myers) so I couldn't really ask anyone. I'm still confused as to why someone would need or want two satellite systems attached but at least I know what was there before - even if I don't know why.

Thanks to the others who help'd ID what was there before.

To jkoenig24, thanks for the welcome and the advice on boot camp and weighing. For the boot camp, yes, it would've been better/smarter to learn a number of things before buying and picking it up! Since I'm locked up like everyone else, i'll use the time to research one of these online flavors.

As for weighing, I am looking into a device called BetterWeigh Mobile Towing Scale by CURT. It seems like it could give me fairly accurate readings on my own.

I was really surprised at how low the amount of cargo i could bring (including passengers) actually is. I envisioned bringing "everything" on my trips and packing every nook and cranny with "something i'll need." But the reality is that i only have about 1000 lbs between the dry weight and the GVWR. It seemed like a lot at first until I realized that most of that will be used up by the weight of the passengers, fuel and water tanks.

Like all of you, I can't wait to hit the road already!
Old 04-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #10

" I'm still confused as to why someone would need or want two satellite systems attached but at least I know what was there before - even if I don't know why."

It could be that they started with the front Traveler - which is only used when the RV is parked. The kids complained and wanted to watch TV on the road. So, they gave in and installed the (in-motion) Roadtrip to keep the kids quiet.

When they sold the RV, they removed the redundant Traveler for use on their next RV or to be sold.

Just a guess...
Old 04-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #11

I believe the owner had "DISH" satellite and the front traveler is a large dish with 3 horns so it could better tolerate interference from obstacles (trees etc.) that the smaller aft traveler, with it's small dish (like a carryout) could not. The owner would have the best of both situations; in motion and camping site. Maybe.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:36 PM   #12

Curious if you have the list of options that came with your coach. If not, I am sure that you could get that from the helpful staff at Dynamax to see if the T4 was installed from the factory on your rig. It would be useful to see what was added as an option if you don't have that info.

My guess (and it is only just that) is that your coach came with the T4, which is a standard option for the Isata 3. The T4 only receives SD for DirecTV. My guess is that the previous owner had DirecTV at home and wanted a dish that would receive a DirecTV HD signal.

...Hence the need for the Winegard Traveler. When they sold the coach, they probably kept the Traveler. The fact that it was at a dealership for sale used might indicate that the previous owner traded it in on another coach that they were planning to install the Traveler on.

Good luck with your new to you coach. I am in a similar position having just bought mine used in MO. and am chomping at the bit to take it on my maiden voyage. The 1700 miles home was a breeze. Enjoy!!!
Old 04-18-2020, 08:26 PM   #13

Dynamax will email you a copy of the original options list for your vin if you ask them. They sent me one for a 2010 Dynaquest I was looking at a while back.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #14

Ok so I was able to get the original price sheet for when it was purchased by the prior owners. Like jneum525 pointed out, the Winegard systems (both satellite and wifi-extender) were part of the original vehicle from the manufacturer. The Travler you guys ID'd was added afterwards.

Jneum525 - you're probably right. They added afterwards b/c of the better quality and/or the better reception. That makes sense. (They also took the HDMI 4x4 that came with it.) I would've too i guess!

I didn't know that you only get SD from that satellite. I'm not looking to really watch too much TV on these travels but WHEN I do - I sure would prefer it in HD! So for now, and definitely for this year - I won't bother with satellite usage.

I just hope I get to travel a lot sooner than later with my new wheels! But ... we must be patient. I'm just grateful to be able to have these dreams put on hold. Unfortunately, many out there are losing their dreams outright.

Thanks for your help guys! Be safe
Old 04-20-2020, 12:48 AM   #15

Glad to hear you have some more insight as to what was installed and when.

As an fyi, you can get HD from Dish network with the T4 Dish using a Wally receiver. Take a look at the Winegard manual.

https://winegard.com/products/satell...dtrip-t4-white

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...0t.html#manual

My earlier guess was based on my own scenario. I too would love to have HD in the Motorhome, but have DirecTV at home. Hate to get another service when I can just continue paying $7 a month for the SD box I have. In actuality, the SD is not terrible coupled with the OTA, which is much better than I had expected.

Agree completely. Much to be grateful and blessed for with all that is going on...
Old 04-20-2020, 05:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post

That's exactly what it is. I had it installed by the dealer on 2 previous Class A motorhomes for my DirecTV. When I traded my first one in, I had the dealer transfer the actual dish over to the new one, which left the old mounting plate and cable on the roof of the old one.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:02 PM   #17
Señor Miembro

I'm about to do the same to my RV. I'm taking off the winegard satellite antenna, that I've never used, to make more room for more solar panels. My camping style is more boondocking than TV oriented. I'll keep the wifi extender/cellular unit though. So I'll have the exact same outline on my roof soon.
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, lite