Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Dynaquest Decision (2018 or new 2020)

Hello Everyone,
We are returning to RV'ing after three years following an electrical fire in our new 2016 Tiffin 44OH (complete loss). Scared us but so thankful we are safe.

We've decided on the Dynaquest and are debating between ordering a new 2020 or purchasing a used low mileage 2018 we have found. Any thoughts on the decision and insight regarding meaningful model year differences would be appreciated. I've listed what we have found comparing the 2018 vs 2020 brochure. Thank you in advance...

All opinions welcome and appreciated!

Potential differences between 2018 and 2020 Dynaquest:
2020 additions...
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- LED Headlights
- Kenwood Touchscreen system
- Mobileeye
- In Dash Garmin Navigation
- JBL Premium Cab Sound System
- Foil Lined Ductwork Throughout
- Remote Locking Exterior Storage (not sure if this is on the 2018)
- Remote Locking Entry Door
- USB Charging Ports
- Oxygenics Body Spa Shower Head
- LED Edge Lighting on Solid Surface Countertops
- 4x4 HDMI Matrix
- 2,800W Inverter/Charger vs. 3,000W on 2018
- Thetford Sani-Con Turbo Macerator System (not sure if included on 2018)
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #2

If you have the financial freedom to go new then go new. Some of the things you listed can be easily added to the 2018, but some are harder or impossible AND everything on the 2020 will be under warranty. Can't go wrong either way...Dynamax is great brand with even better people standing behind it to help. Let us all know what you decide. Welcome to the Dynamax Family!
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
If you have the financial freedom to go new then go new. Some of the things you listed can be easily added to the 2018, but some are harder or impossible AND everything on the 2020 will be under warranty. Can't go wrong either way...Dynamax is great brand with even better people standing behind it to help. Let us all know what you decide. Welcome to the Dynamax Family!
Thank you so much for your input... We are looking forward to the adventure and joining the family!
Old 11-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
X2
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #5

Smile Check chassis

For my two cents, I would check the chassis date. It could range anywhere from 2016 till maybe 2020. I purcheaed a 2020, and found that the chassis was a 2018, so I had to deal with brake lot rot etc. Not a big item, but something that I was not aware of. Anyway bottom line I love the Chassis now and have not had a problem.
Ronhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #6

FWIW, I'll take used every time.

A 3-5 yr old RV that has 10-20K mi will have been through all of it's "growing pains" (read QC defects) and system infant mortality issues, and has been driven enough to force the "issues" out.

Also, there is a $20K per year depreciation factor.

The only thing I wish ours had that was not yet available is Hydrohot and a rear window. But as we are planning on not going places that have temps below 50 F, we're not too worried.

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #7

We bought ours used. it was a 2017 and we bought it in 2018. It has a 2016 chaise. Saved a lot of money buying one used. I have had almost no issues with the rig. My guess is that you can buy an extended warranty for less than the amount of money that you will save. I know all the new options are nice but depending on the cost saved many of them can be added. Mine does not have the following.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I had one from our last rig.
- LED Headlights. I try not to drive the rig after dark much so not an issue.
- Kenwood Touchscreen system
- Mobileeye
- In Dash Garmin Navigation. Mine is a Sony unit.
- JBL Premium Cab Sound System. I have a good system but do not remember the Maf.
- Foil Lined Ductwork Throughout
- Remote Locking Entry Door. It has a keypad but not a remote.
- LED Edge Lighting on Solid Surface Countertops. I have see and it look nice but would not pay several thousand just for it.
- 4x4 HDMI Matrix

I hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
Señor Miembro

We just bought a new 2019 XL a few months ago. We looked for used but couldn't find one. The approximate 20% depreciation hit you take the first year is a lot.
I really wish we'd found a recent year, lightly used one. Especially from someone handy and that had already made some of the upgrades I've made and am going to make.

The biggest reason I'd recommend used is all the initial repairs are very painfully time and effort consuming. Like many others, our 3 month old Dynquest is now sitting in the shop for months waiting for lots of repairs. All the current and previous repairs are covered under warranty so it isn't the money but the time and headaches involved in dealing with it has definitely dampened the whole experience for us and our family. It often involves multiple calls to the manufacturer of the component, diagnosing, waiting for a return calls, waiting for warranty authorization, finding a local qualified/authorized repair person, waiting for parts, yadda, yadda, yadda.
After getting the jacks fixed twice, the aquahot replaced, the CB & antenna replaced, adding tpms, upgrading the radio to a nav version, etc, it's now in the shop 6 hours away for at least a couple months with a list of 32 warranty items to be repaired!
We may have to cancel our Christmas trip along with the other 3-4 trips we've already had to cancel due to problems and repairs. IMHO, even if the money isn't an issue, lightly used is the way to go.
Speaking of which, I may know of a 5-6 month old 2019 XL for sale soon at a big discount from new
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher Rob View Post
We just bought a new 2019 XL a few months ago. We looked for used but couldn't find one. The approximate 20% depreciation hit you take the first year is a lot.
I really wish we'd found a recent year, lightly used one. Especially from someone handy and that had already made some of the upgrades I've made and am going to make.

The biggest reason I'd recommend used is all the initial repairs are very painfully time and effort consuming. Like many others, our 3 month old Dynquest is now sitting in the shop for months waiting for lots of repairs. All the current and previous repairs are covered under warranty so it isn't the money but the time and headaches involved in dealing with it has definitely dampened the whole experience for us and our family. It often involves multiple calls to the manufacturer of the component, diagnosing, waiting for a return calls, waiting for warranty authorization, finding a local qualified/authorized repair person, waiting for parts, yadda, yadda, yadda.
After getting the jacks fixed twice, the aquahot replaced, the CB & antenna replaced, adding tpms, upgrading the radio to a nav version, etc, it's now in the shop 6 hours away for at least a couple months with a list of 32 warranty items to be repaired!
We may have to cancel our Christmas trip along with the other 3-4 trips we've already had to cancel due to problems and repairs. IMHO, even if the money isn't an issue, lightly used is the way to go.
Speaking of which, I may know of a 5-6 month old 2019 XL for sale soon at a big discount from new
Thank You so much for your very thoughtful note. This was incredibly helpful to my wife and I.
We decided to purchase the 2018 yesterday! Much of this decision was based on your input.
Thank you again!!!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #10

Congrats folks, please post pictures when you get your "new to you" coach.

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote