Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Dynaquest XL - Cracking Tile and Grout

Anyone else having problems with this? Just had the dealer replace 6 cracked tiles and re-grout the floor. After only 6 months and 3K miles the grout is disintegrating again. The sub floor does not seem rigid, as I can feel the floor "give" in front of the refrigerator. Looking for insight or advice that anyone may have on this issue. Thanks PSUNATE
Psunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
2018 Dynaquest 38TS

I had the same problem, you need to get it back to the factory they put a steel plate under the floor to keep the slide rails from pushing up on the bottom of the floor. Had mine repaired in spring, no problems after repair.
DR Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:43 AM   #3

What he said ^
Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psunate View Post
Anyone else having problems with this? Just had the dealer replace 6 cracked tiles and re-grout the floor. After only 6 months and 3K miles the grout is disintegrating again. The sub floor does not seem rigid, as I can feel the floor "give" in front of the refrigerator. Looking for insight or advice that anyone may have on this issue. Thanks PSUNATE
The other issues is that sometimes dealers will replace the tiles and use standard grout. We ONLY use the sandstone PU grout as it is the most flexible. If they use standard grout, it will just chip out.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #5

A highly comforting thread...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The other issues is that sometimes dealers will replace the tiles and use standard grout. We ONLY use the sandstone PU grout as it is the most flexible. If they use standard grout, it will just chip out.
They did use the flexible grout on the repair. However, this is a much bigger issue than grout.

What DR Quest mentioned makes sense. (Slide rails pushing up on the floor from below). Seems like a design issue to me.

I'm in San Diego. Unfortunately, not an easy trip to Elkhart to get the steel reinforcing installed.
Psunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:51 AM   #7

We have a 2018 37rb with same issue, dealer was advised by Dynamax to replace entire floor and sub floor after we brought it in for warranty work and counted 12+ cracked tiles and many seams with failing grout. Have not seen this reported on earlier models with tile floors. I'm wondering if there was a change in process or product.... or installer issues. Both dealer and Dynamax have been supportive in addressing the issue.
Dynapoppy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #8

I was told by Longhorn RV they had to replace a couple of floors as well and install steel plating for the same reason...

Brian is this a common failure? I wouldn't call this "Attention to Details"...there must be a lot of cracked tiles that folks are not reporting as well, especially the Dynamax do-gooders that think Dynamax can do no wrong....

It is really unthinkable that this isn't already addressed at the manufacturing level?
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #9

My understanding is that it’s been addressed but there are obviously a lot of rigs on the road so they’re retrofitting as necessary when problems arise. Tiles have been a headache for me but I’ve been taken care of every time by dynamax so no real complaints here. Coach is perfectly functional with cracked tiles so I choose to have them taken care of in the off season rather than lose valuable RV days

I’m sure a nearby dealer can also perform the repairs but I’d be looking at a trip East. Just trust the boys at the factory more. Depends on your level of comfort with the dealer I guess
Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
They did use the flexible grout on the repair. However, this is a much bigger issue than grout.

What DR Quest mentioned makes sense. (Slide rails pushing up on the floor from below). Seems like a design issue to me.

I'm in San Diego. Unfortunately, not an easy trip to Elkhart to get the steel reinforcing installed.
You can reach out to the service rep for your area to discuss options. We have instructions we can send to the dealer if it is an issue that seems to be "beyond the norm".

And this is not directed at you.....but my job as GM is to manage this facility, build a good product/brand/loyal customer base, minimize warranty issues and turn a profit. Notice, that monitoring this forum and live blogging my daily decisions, meetings and processes was not one of those. SO while I understand that my participation here reveals a sometimes too "behind the scenes look at things", just because I am not broadcasting every meeting and thought process, does not mean that those things are not taking place.

Let me be very clear....IF I find ANY and I mean ANY items, whether it is a customer suggestion/complaint, warranty item or part failure, rest assured IT IS being addressed at the manufacturing level. Sometimes, in regards to "customer suggestion, it may go no further than discussing and saying..."yeah but, no one else is asking" and sometimes it goes all the way to full implementation, but it will always at least get discussed. Even the crazy ones. The PRIMARY reason that I am on this forum is to fast track a better product. To find and prevent things maybe when they happen ONCE and not have to wait for them to happen 10 times to see a trend.

It would be completely ignorant for me to not address warranty items that come up when my ultimate goal is to eliminate them.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #11

Quote:
I’m having same problems on my 2018 Force HD
JedWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #12
Commercial Member

When you say "the floor gives" please be clear what you mean there. Does the actual "sub floor give" (as in you are standing on that and not the tile? Or are you standing on the tile?

The reason I ask, is as I have mentioned, we do not use "thin-set". We use a product called "snap-stone". So the tile is laid into a lego-like track that joins together. Then only the edges are grouted. So the floor really floats and handles the vibrations better.

What I have seen happen, is there is some framing for the slide rams below the floor. There are carriage bolts that come up through the floor to secure that and if they get overly-aggressive when tightening those carriage bolts, it can create a "dip" or low spot in the floor. When the snap stone is laid, as I said, they join together with a snap-in track. If they don't catch this low spot, the track goes right over top and sort of creates a bridge....it does not follow down into the low spot like normal tile would. So when standing on the tile in that low spot it may feel like it gives.

Sometimes a dealer might replace the tile and it could happen again, what needs to happen is the carriage bolts loosened up to let the floor lay flat naturally, or filled in, but it might mean taking a few more tiles around it loose. I don't see if all that often, but we have changed the install process so that they are taking an 8' level across to make sure there are no valley's.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #13

tile floor/grout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
When you say "the floor gives" please be clear what you mean there. Does the actual "sub floor give" (as in you are standing on that and not the tile? Or are you standing on the tile?

The reason I ask, is as I have mentioned, we do not use "thin-set". We use a product called "snap-stone". So the tile is laid into a lego-like track that joins together. Then only the edges are grouted. So the floor really floats and handles the vibrations better.

What I have seen happen, is there is some framing for the slide rams below the floor. There are carriage bolts that come up through the floor to secure that and if they get overly-aggressive when tightening those carriage bolts, it can create a "dip" or low spot in the floor. When the snap stone is laid, as I said, they join together with a snap-in track. If they don't catch this low spot, the track goes right over top and sort of creates a bridge....it does not follow down into the low spot like normal tile would. So when standing on the tile in that low spot it may feel like it gives.

Sometimes a dealer might replace the tile and it could happen again, what needs to happen is the carriage bolts loosened up to let the floor lay flat naturally, or filled in, but it might mean taking a few more tiles around it lose. I don't see if all that often, but we have changed the install process so that they are taking an 8' level across to make sure there are no valley's.
bcclemens, Thanks for getting back to me I appreciate your quick response. Im not sure what gives under the tile. The tile does not appear to have cracked yet, but if you step on the tile it seems to flex down some a couple millimeters. Enough to cause the grout to start breaking up along the sides. The surrounding tiles do not flex just the center one. As you can see from the photos I have attached the flex is causing the grout to break up around a few other tiles (i assume).

I believe I read somewhere about this same problem and you said most competent people can easily replace and re-grout tile themselves. To avoid my rig being in the shop I would rather just do it myself if possible. I live in Salt Lake, Utah and I think the closes Dynamax Dealership is either in Las Vegas or Arizona. If you could advice/help me out with needed supplies that would be great.

Regarding underneath the tiles, I guess we will figure that out when I pull out the tile floor. Would it be possible to email you or somebody at Dynmax, so I could send them some photos of under the tile to determine the best solution for repair? Or do you think I should take it to a dealership for the repair?

Thx.
Jared
Old 10-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Here is the Snapstone site.
SnapStone | Snap: Tile Instructions - Installation
There is some info on install and repair.

What it sounds like, is that yes, if it is only one tile, then they over tightened the carriage bolt which can draw the plywood down around the carriage bolt. Typically in a 12" diameter depending on how tight they drew it. We've talked about in addition to the level, using a torque wrench instead of an impact.

The repair is do-able by most people with any skill. The messy part is chipping or grinding out the grout so you can cut the tabs on the tile tray. You need tools, replacement tiles and grout. The main thing is to make sure that the low spot is filled in and leveled out. So you may need to pull a few of the surrounding tiles so you can feather that in.

You're welcome to reach out to your service rep. They may ask to have it taken to a dealer, but I can discuss this with the warranty manager to see if it is something we would send parts for if you chose to do that.

The tricky part is normally a dealer would be responsible for the work. In that case it is you, so in theory the repair warranty is your own. I personally would not have a problem with this if it were my rig....but I don't like taking anything into a dealer or having people at my house if I can avoid it. I sometimes enjoy the peace and quite of being in my garage doing some work.

Dynamax Contact Us (contact info for your area).

And just to be clear, as I am not taking sides in this matter, I simply want you to do what you are most comfortable with. If that is dropping it at the dealer, then so be it.

The one thing I ask of my people is to be understanding. And that means being understanding of your time. So in return, we try to be as flexible as possible when it comes to these things. Sometimes, people find a way to look at that in a negative light (not saying you, but posts like this tend to draw them out)....because it is not what they would do. We are not suggesting they do the same thing...just trying to accommodate your individual request that may be best for your scenario.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:13 PM   #15

Tile/ grout crack

bclemens, I totally understand the disclaimer on your part and if I didn't live so far out I would take it to a dealer. I'll go ahead and contact Dynamax from the link provided to get this taken care of.

Once again I appreciate your quick response and help. I used to stock this forum group before purchasing our Dynamax and seeing your promptness to help out was a big reason why we purchased a Dynamax. Im sure you get that alot so dont get a big head but Its great having someone to help out. We previously owned a Gulfstream Supernova and when we had problems it was like being stranded out in the middle of the desert, literally!

-Jared
Old 10-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #16
Commercial Member

lol...trust me. There are plenty of people that keep me humble.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #17

I’m new to the Dynaquest XL family. My new 2018 is experiencing the same issue. I have several areas where the grout is coming out and now one tile cracked from one side to the other. It’s going back to the factory in December for other warranty work so I hope they fix the carriage bolt if that is what is causing the problem.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #18

Factory is the best place you can go for that repair. You’re in good hands
Old 11-27-2021, 08:01 PM   #19

In August, we purchased a used 2018 Dynamax DX3 37TS so we are new to the Dynamax family but so excited to be here.

Sadly, this 2018 had some heavy use (dealer is helping us to replace leather upholstery/furniture due to animal claw damage). The heavy use includes 6-8 cracked tiles and some cracking grout.

We are working with our dealer and they are doing their best but the extra 12x24 Natural Wood ceramic tiles by Snapstone that would have come with the new RV weren't with it when it came to the dealer under consignment. We are hearing via the dealer that Snapstone went out of business and that they can't find the tiles via either Forest River or through ebay and other sources.

Does this group have any ideas how we might find locate some of the "snap stone 12x24 natural tile" for repairs?

Otherwise, they are quoting us thousands of $ to do various floor fixes even with the few thousand they will pitch in.

Happy to take any suggestions from this group given the expertise with both the product and the manufacturer (who we have not talked to directly)!
LaVonne Copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:30 PM   #20

Thought

Any one tried installing a vinyl wood look floor OVER the ceramic tiles?
fred555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack