Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2022, 08:54 PM   #1

Echomaster firmware/software update procedure

I know I talked w/ Brian at the Eastern gathering, he said he has a file available, possibly on dropbox. Does anyone have a link to this discussion, how to patch/update the camera, and where the firmware/software file may be living? For the most part the camera system on our XL was working, but the passenger side view was trimmed ~3/4" and constantly in black & white. Many of them blipped out when going under an overpass, or meeting/passing another semi during travel.

I know it involves taking the display off of the dash and removing back panel, not scared of that one bit.

Thanks,
Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:52 AM   #2

I followed the thread, downloaded the file, and then did the install. When it was all said and done my system had the latest file already but I didn't know this until I completed the surgery. I still have the same issue you describe. I tried getting in contact with River Park and Echomaster numerous times but had no luck. I was hoping someone would come up with a better contact email or phone number. Now I just leave the camera view on the rear (not rear hitch) view. M_I_A thinks it may be the sensor so may try covering it. It will probably be stuck in B&W mode but the flickering may stop. I would take that. Here is the thread, good luck.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...EIH45CNiT5LqJg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberShanks View Post
I know I talked w/ Brian at the Eastern gathering, he said he has a file available, possibly on dropbox. Does anyone have a link to this discussion, how to patch/update the camera, and where the firmware/software file may be living? For the most part the camera system on our XL was working, but the passenger side view was trimmed ~3/4" and constantly in black & white. Many of them blipped out when going under an overpass, or meeting/passing another semi during travel.

I know it involves taking the display off of the dash and removing back panel, not scared of that one bit.

Thanks,
Jim
AZFoxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:36 AM   #3

Thank you very much, doesn't sound too promising. Odd thing is, upon startup to leave the Eastern gathering the pass side camera looked fine, about 5-10 minutes later the right side disappeared again and B&W was back. I really do like having the cameras, even black & white on one of them is worth it. It is nice to see blind-spots and whatnot to confirm what I'm seeing in side mirrors is accurate. Even though we have the shortest M2 XL, it's still a lot of rig going down the road (especially with trailer in tow).

Jim
Old 06-17-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
Commercial Member

I agree. My channel 1 &2 (side cameras) kept cutting out, but then came right back up again.

When I first start out on a trip I use my mirrors more, but by the end of the trip, when I lock in what screen is what I end up relying on the cameras more for sure. That's why we went to the quad camera...it was just far more functional than turn signal cameras (in my not so humble opinion)
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:35 AM   #5
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoxes View Post
I followed the thread, downloaded the file, and then did the install. When it was all said and done my system had the latest file already but I didn't know this until I completed the surgery. I still have the same issue you describe. I tried getting in contact with River Park and Echomaster numerous times but had no luck. I was hoping someone would come up with a better contact email or phone number. Now I just leave the camera view on the rear (not rear hitch) view. M_I_A thinks it may be the sensor so may try covering it. It will probably be stuck in B&W mode but the flickering may stop. I would take that. Here is the thread, good luck.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...EIH45CNiT5LqJg
I had the same experience. Contacted AAMP via the web site and started a conversation with the head tech: Josh Cramer. He was willing to help but needed me to have an hour or more of diagnostic time available which at present I cannot manage. Try him on 727-592-5991
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:37 AM   #6

Many thanks. I will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I had the same experience. Contacted AAMP via the web site and started a conversation with the head tech: Josh Cramer. He was willing to help but needed me to have an hour or more of diagnostic time available which at present I cannot manage. Try him on 727-592-5991
Old 06-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #7

Echomaster and RiverPark Inc were each dead ends for me so thankfully vlamgat had the golden nugget of information.

For everyone wanting to know and/or so you can round out your documentation, Echomaster is a brand of AAMP Global and AAMP is a brand of Riverpark.

I spent some time with Matt at AAMP troubleshooting. They don’t know what the issue is and by the sound of it this is something new to them. My software is up to date so that is ruled out.

As a way to determine if the problem is camera or display related, Matt asked me to swap out the rear camera leads with the side view camera leads since the rear cameras have always functioned properly. Since this requires removing the dash to get to the connectors I told him I would do it this weekend, then take the RV out for a test drive and report back to him on Monday.

I assume I will need to swap or cut the installed trigger wire(s) as well but don’t know for certain. I know the side cameras trigger wires are not connected to the turn signals and since the rear camera view comes on in reverse, I’ll also assume it is the only trigger wire connected. If so, I will probably cut it and leave 4 camera views up or just select the mode I want. Anyone see an issue with cutting the rear camera trigger wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Old 06-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Why would you need to cut the trigger wire? That only matters if you go in reverse...and for purposes of troubleshooting, everything will go back the way it was eventually.

Unless you do not want to trigger the single view, then, no, no problem cutting/capping the trigger wire.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 06-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #9

There was no need to cut it. The CH3 trigger wire (marked conveniently on the wire) just snaps into the blue wire snap-action wire block so I took it out, covered the exposed wire with electrical tape and secured the CH3 trigger wire.

Having all views on the display at all times is my personal preference. I couldn't do that before without getting aggravated due to the display issues I was having.

So far all cameras display properly but until I drive it tomorrow I won't know for sure if this little science project is successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Why would you need to cut the trigger wire? That only matters if you go in reverse...and for purposes of troubleshooting, everything will go back the way it was eventually.

Unless you do not want to trigger the single view, then, no, no problem cutting/capping the trigger wire.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:44 AM   #10
Norwood Auto Italia

Keep us posted...
Old 06-19-2022, 01:05 PM   #11

Test drive complete. The good news is I really like having the rear views on top. The bad news is the side view cameras, now displayed across the bottom, still randomly turn off and on and the dark stripe is still along the right side of the views. I tried covering the sensor with black tape and while the views turned to black and white it didn’t help the off/on issue. Lastly, half way through our test drive the right side camera developed a greenish hue. I’ll talk to the rep tomorrow to see what else he wants me to try but it does appear to be a side view camera(s) issue. MTF…
Old 06-20-2022, 10:11 AM   #12

I talked to AAMP Global today

With the troubleshooting I did over the weekend the problem doesn't appear to be with the display so our discussion focused on the side view cameras and associated wiring/connectors. He said the cameras are losing proper connection within the camera(s) or through the wires or the 4-pin connectors. If this was an older RV he would think environmental elements compromised the system but in that the RV is so new he thinks there is something else causing the signal reception loss issue. He did offer the opportunity to take it to a local Echomaster dealer for troubleshooting or service but since the warranty, in this case, is with the RV manufacturer, I would have to pay for it. Since I don't have a Dynamax dealer anywhere close to me willing to do work on a coach they didn't sell me, I'll continue to try to determine the problem but in the end, just schedule an appointment at Dynamax before my warranty year is up next March to fix the problem.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:53 AM   #13
Commercial Member

You would have to pay for it, but can get reimbursed by us.

We just had River Park in today and confirm that it appears to be the cameras. it is not going in and out when I hit bumps, it is more random even on very smooth surfaces. Their tech just headed out to the plant to investigate.

We would not likely schedule a unit here at the plant just for camera issues. We try to save our appointments for things a dealer can't handle that are more mission critical.

An Echomaster, would also be an option for reimbursement. We just charge back the supplier as long as there is a line of communication.

We don't want to be surprised with a $2000 bill to diagnose a loose wire.

Old 06-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #14
Norwood Auto Italia

One possibility for diagnosis purposes is to purchase a 4 pin cable (available on Amazon and connect each of the side cameras directly to the screen input cable at the connector behind the console. Run the camera cable through the passenger and driver doors respectively. See what difference that makes.

The camera output cables are accessible under the coach.

This is how I ID'd that my rear camera drop out was not a camera problem. I ended up with a 50' cable that I have no immediate use for but you never know!
Old 06-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #15

We just took a side camera off of the RV mounting plate (4 screws), removed the mounting plate to the RV (3 screws), then split the ball (3 screws), and finally lifted the circuit board (4 screws) to expose all of the wiring and connectors. Everything looked good under a magnifying lens. We went back out to the RV, connected the camera, and with my wife holding the two camera halves together I turned the coach on. While holding the camera in a steady position she jiggled the halves slightly. As soon as she did this the view on the display started doing exactly what it does when driving - off and on, color to B&W and back, greenish hue, and stripe down the right side. It’s like the camera went into demo mode of broken. When she stopped, the picture returned to normal and stayed there. We’re going to do the same thing with the other side camera to confirm but for now, it looks to me like my side cameras are not functioning correctly.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:11 PM   #16

We have other things to take care of when we come so it would not be just the cameras issue. That said, as you can see from my last post I determined it is the side camera but good to see River Park acknowledging the problem. Now that I’ve done this it is too easy to do myself. I just need two cameras. No need to be surprised by $2,000. I’ll do it for just the cost of replacement cameras which will be a sunk cost regardless of who installs it. I’ll reach out to Heidi.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:42 PM   #17

Thank you AZFoxes, here's hoping that all those experiencing this problem can get some sort of procedure to fix the cameras, or get them swapped out.

Let me know if there is any troubleshooting you would like me to do in order to help out.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-20-2022, 03:14 PM   #18
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoxes View Post
We have other things to take care of when we come so it would not be just the cameras issue. That said, as you can see from my last post I determined it is the side camera but good to see River Park acknowledging the problem. Now that Iíve done this it is too easy to do myself. I just need two cameras. No need to be surprised by $2,000. Iíll do it for just the cost of replacement cameras which will be a sunk cost regardless of who installs it. Iíll reach out to Heidi.
The fault simulation you describe is typical of a cracked PCB. The cracks put an interrupter in circuits you cannot see below the external surface. Most PCBs these days are multilayer. Much less expensive to design and produce than a chip.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:50 PM   #19

Over on the FB Dynamax (Official) Forum I posted an update to this display / camera saga. Bottom line is I installed new side cameras but that did not solve the problem. Someone there said to check the ground. It probably is something with the wiring between the cameras and the display. The problem is only with the side cameras so it shouldn’t be too difficult to track down. Since this isn’t an issue the factory will take the time to fix under warranty and since going to a dealer, if I could even get an appointment, will just mean time without the Europa, I’ll take the dash apart again, trace the wires for bad connections and try to fix it myself. I’ll report back if I stumble across a fix.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:56 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Why would we not take the time to fix it under warranty?

Nevermind. I reread that. Yes, we would prefer to have someone local to you. River Park is also in Elkhart, we can see if they have a tech that would look at it.