Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #1

EGT and Boost gauge?

I'm used to looking at both in my previous 2 Duramax P/U's. They were add on gauges. I'm wondering why there isn't at least an EGT gauge. It is simple enough to tap the exhaust manifold to add the pyrometer, at least on the Dmax. My fear would be voiding the warranty. Has anyone done this? Or had Cummins do this?
hook47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #2

I installed a pyro on my dodge. I drilled and tapped the manifold pre turbo, is was pretty easy. I monitor boost, trans temp and EGT on my Edge Evolution tuner . It pulls boost, trans and a bunch of other readings through the OBD2 port. The newer Dodges do monitor EGT with the ECM factory and you can pull it out via the OBD2.

Honestly, if you are not tuned, there is probably no reason to monitor the stuff. The factory tuning is safe which should prevent any type of damage.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Team

I have an Edge Insight, lots of data and you can choose what to display and how.

I monitor both sides of EGT as well as trans temp and turbo temp

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

If you go on Edge's web page, it will show what PID' s can be monitored through the OBD2 by year and make. EGT may be an ECM input on the newer GM and Ford trucks too.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #5

My first p/u Dmax I used the Edge system, second the Banks system. As I said, easily done. Now I've got a L9 Cummins in a Freightliner chassis. Don't want to mess up anything including warranty.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

Didn't realize what section this was. No clue what the L9 ECM monitors or what electronic monitor is available for it.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook47 View Post
I'm used to looking at both in my previous 2 Duramax P/U's. They were add on gauges. I'm wondering why there isn't at least an EGT gauge. It is simple enough to tap the exhaust manifold to add the pyrometer, at least on the Dmax. My fear would be voiding the warranty. Has anyone done this? Or had Cummins do this?
If you are asking why there's not a stock EGT gauge... the answer is, It costs a lot of money and its not needed. Stock tunes won't get you into the danger zone, at least mine wont.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #8

If you have a 2011 or newer Duramax all you need is one of the plug n play touch screens and plug into your OBD2 port and it will display whatever you want, I use Banks IQ , if your Duramax is older then 2011 get a drill its not hard to do and the dealer will never know
Shejam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #9

Coracer said: "If you are asking why there's not a stock EGT gauge... the answer is, It costs a lot of money and its not needed. Stock tunes won't get you into the danger zone, at least mine wont."

By your signature can I believe you have a P/U? Others have responded about Light Duty diesel engines, also. I am asking only about the L9 Cummins engine in the ForceHD/DX3 Freightliner chassis. But to your comment, how do you know you don't get into the danger zone without a gauge? Cost a lot of money? On a rig MSRP'd at over 300K, most wouldn't notice a $100 add on.

In the Cummins engine manual on page 1-16 it warns not to use full throttle below peak torque rpm for more than 30 seconds because it can shorten engine life, cause "serious engine damage" and is considered engine abuse. At one time we only had to worry about alcohol abuse, now it is engine abuse. There is a warning light that can illuminate during regen or normal operations. So, taking both these situations into account, full throttle/low rpm and a warning light that can illuminate during normal ops indicating high exhaust temps it would be nice to have a real egt gauge to monitor.

So, back to my original question: why not a gauge? and has anyone installed one?
Old 01-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #10

You didn't say that in your first question, so you went from a Duramax to a Freight shaker with a cummings and you wanna know why it doesn't have a gauge ,.........um there ya go
Shejam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #11

Ooops and a sorry. Usually type posts in Word, copy and paste so I can make fewer mistakes. Apparently that isn't working for me on this post! I replied thinking that I had pasted all. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

My post yesterday did include the L9 part.

So now that the correct info is posted, anyone put in an egt gauge?
Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #12

Stock tunes

With newer trucks stock tunes WILL get you in the DANGER ZONE......I know from experience.....All the emissions crap on these newer trucks make the engines run way HOTTER....
Old 01-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #13

Stock tunes

Stock tunes WILL get you in the DANGER zone....the newer trucks with all the emissions make the motors run HOTTER....GET AN EGT...
Old 01-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #14

Quote:
An Edge Insight CS2 or CTS2. Either will let you read the EGTs and boost
Old 01-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Coracer said: "If you are asking why there's not a stock EGT gauge... the answer is, It costs a lot of money and its not needed. Stock tunes won't get you into the danger zone, at least mine wont."

By your signature can I believe you have a P/U? Others have responded about Light Duty diesel engines, also. I am asking only about the L9 Cummins engine in the ForceHD/DX3 Freightliner chassis. But to your comment, how do you know you don't get into the danger zone without a gauge? Cost a lot of money? On a rig MSRP'd at over 300K, most wouldn't notice a $100 add on.

In the Cummins engine manual on page 1-16 it warns not to use full throttle below peak torque rpm for more than 30 seconds because it can shorten engine life, cause "serious engine damage" and is considered engine abuse. At one time we only had to worry about alcohol abuse, now it is engine abuse. There is a warning light that can illuminate during regen or normal operations. So, taking both these situations into account, full throttle/low rpm and a warning light that can illuminate during normal ops indicating high exhaust temps it would be nice to have a real egt gauge to monitor.

So, back to my original question: why not a gauge? and has anyone installed one?
To be clear, I am not arguing against an EGT or boost gauge, just trying to help you make an informed decision.

First, modern ECM controlled diesels do run hotter for emissions but they are designed for that. The exhaust valves and pistons are now made to routinely endure up to 1500 degrees temperatures as that is what occurs during active regeneration of the DPF system.

The comment in the Cummins manual is somewhat generic regarding WOT operation. Your rig has an automatic trans and it is electronically controlled, it will usually keep down shifting until it hits first gear to avoid any lugging scenario that would harm the engine. In fact, most of the ECM controlled engines get their best fuel mileage when they are in the WOT/lower RPM as long as they are within their power band range. You would have to be grossly over loaded in a rig with a manual transmission and intentionally lugging it to produce those conditions.

The biggest reason today to not consistently lug the engine is you need to achieve the higher RPM's/temperatures to allow passive regeneration of the DPF system. This way the filter stays clean just through routine driving and minimizes the need for active regeneration, which impacts MPG because it injects fuel into the exhaust system.

If you go to the Raney's website they sell various pyrometer gauges with the sending units. They also sell the boost sensors that install on the turbo if you want to read turbo boost. These should be straight forward installs that should not void any warranties, just check with the Cummins dealer for recommended locations for installing the pyro.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #16

In my post about seats, Brian had responded to this thread also. This was my response which is relevant here:

"Thanks, Brian. Appreciate your insight and further follow up with Freightliner. Also, thanks to RV Randy and all that contributed. I do basically understand ECM's control of almost all modern power plants and drivetrains and I also have a similar understanding of ECM's not working as planned. Recalls, updates, flashes are conducted by OEM's because things didn't go as planned. Yes, there are many systems in place to mitigate these types of issues but they don't always prevent problems. I also know that you can have a cockpit full of gauges that you can't possibly monitor all the time..stuff happens. Mostly curious about this one particular gauge; I feel it gives a lot of useful info on what's happening.
I'll wait for Brian's update from Freighliner and then probably check with local service center to have one installed or do it myself. Would be great if there were already provisions in the exhaust manifold. Rig is in storage an hour away, so can't check for a while."