Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2021, 08:29 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to MarcGoldstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
The propane furnace isn't modified. https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/add-on-system.
I didn't see the price for the add on system, but even without the added cost of installation it will be a whole lot more than one or two small $35 ceramic heaters.
MarcGoldstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcGoldstone View Post
I didn't see the price for the add on system, but even without the added cost of installation it will be a whole lot more than one or two small $35 ceramic heaters.
How do you control your ceramic herters at 3AM? The "Cheap Heat" system uses the stock thermostat and heats everything that the propane furnace heats. That includes the undercarrage and other places that the furnace is designed to keep from freezing.

It is a more elegant system but I guess not for everyone.
steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:19 AM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to MarcGoldstone
I only care about heating the interior not the basement storage so the ceramic heaters are more than adequate for situations we will encounter. For those traveling through the northern tier states in the winter then propane heat may be the better alternative.
MarcGoldstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Don't you have a heat pump or heat strip? If you set the set point low enough (5 degrees above) you can normally trick them into running full time. If a heat pump/heat strip does not reach the set point in 10 minutes, it will turn on the furnace (could be 5)...but if you slowly build it up, it will try and prevent that. Or once you get it to set point with the furnace, try and use the heat pump again.

Of course under 40, heat pump will not work, but a heat strip still might.

Disagree heat pump should still work under 40 deg F. The efficiency is lowered at 40 deg F, therefore having to work harder, but it should still work. If the air is full of moisture the use at 40 and under is minimal as it is much harder to remove the cold moist air. At about 27 degrees F is where you won't get much removal of cold air.
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
How do you control your ceramic herters at 3AM? The "Cheap Heat" system uses the stock thermostat and heats everything that the propane furnace heats. That includes the undercarrage and other places that the furnace is designed to keep from freezing.

It is a more elegant system but I guess not for everyone.
You control your portable heaters with a, line voltage, thermostat. I did this years ago so that I would not have to scrape frost from my car windows.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyjj View Post
Here is a link that may be an option. https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/add-on-system

I have the fireplace as well but it will not heat coach alone without the furnace assisting when temps drop near freezing at night. One problem with fireplace is it is located in the rear where the living and dining area is. We have a mid bunk and the bath and master bedroom are in the front part of the coach.

That "Cheap Heat" is a pretty cool option if thats what you choose. I looked at the web site and cost is approx $850 depending on which one you choose. If you're comfortable with doing the install yourself, you can probably save a chunk of change because they quote labor to be as much as 8 hours. If you've got Coleman Mach a/c units, you might want look into adding the optional 1500 watt heating coil that is mounted in the supply airstream a few inches in front of the a/c cooling coil. Its pretty much a plug and play install and is available on Amazon. Thats what I installed in the ftont a/c unit of my 5th wheel and in conjunction with the electric fireplace, it keeps the entire camper comfortable. FYI, the heating coil is controlled by the a/c units thermostat. Of course when the outside air temp falls below 32 I will enable the furnace to run as needed. Good luck.
440scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, furnace, propane