Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #1

Electrical “Chain” Under Slide

Does anyone know where this “E-Chain” slides into? 2022 Dynaquest XL 3801TS. This is under the dining slide, comes in and out with the slide itself with a bundle of electrical wires inside of it. Seems after about only two dozen times in/out, the “chain” seems to have folded on itself. Danielle sent me a new one as some of the “master links” popped, but cannot figure out how the heck I’m supposed to replace it without disconnecting all the wires and feeding it through the chain? Ugh.

If you know….you know! Can’t describe it any other way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8E7A0C53-2016-4BA7-A415-EA7958C4E122.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	284194  
Blue Ox
Air Force One
TX_Dynaquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:27 PM   #2

Found this using the google, not sure if this exact chain is included. There are a few videos on replacing it as well.

https://www.igus.eu/info/energy-chai...rview-e-chains
Old 02-23-2023, 07:32 PM   #3

Mine does not have the E-Chain, but I have used various versions before. That said, don't take this info to the bank, but it should get you headed in the right direction. They all generally have one side you can remove/open to then lay your loom or bundle of cables inside.

I think these are the Clip Points for your chain.

Name:	Clip Points.png
Views:	78
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	284199

And then they will pop up individually per link, or come off in a strip similarly to this.

Name:   E Chain Access.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  14.9 KB

Good luck
11FT Triton ATV Trailer / Artic Cat SXS
Retired: 2011 Dutchman Aerolite/2015 FR Heritage Glen
FORCE of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:44 PM   #4

Thank you for getting me in the right direction. Seems looking at the end links, the name is KableSchlepp. I'm not sure whats on the other end of this grouping of wires - something pushed back causing it to bind on itself and collapse a few of the top links. I'm just not sure if I can undo the links that are there and slide the new one in its place and simply press in all of the master link clips on top - or if there is something the very last link is supposed to be attached to? Can't see up there with a flashlight and need to feel more confident before I remove the old one and end up a bunch of wires pulling on something. But at least y'all gave me days of searching YouTube to find this out!
Blue Ox
Air Force One
Old 02-24-2023, 04:58 AM   #5
Steve & Linda M.

Had the same problem with our 2022 Force 34KD. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2786114

Dynamax put a band aide on the chain by wrapping tape around the "chain". I believe that will be a short lived fix. I'll check it as soon as the weather improves. But suspect that the tape will likely fail, eventually.

Brian noted that there may be a new chain design :
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2786534

There was a question about the updated slide chain and date when put into production. Don't recall hearing anything about it, after that point.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2788004

In any case, it would be good to know if our tape wrapped chain would be elligible for replacement, under warranty.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 09:44 AM   #6

Thank you MevetS - That picture of your E-Chain hanging out under the slide is exactly what mine looked like. I taped it, didn't work. I duct taped it, didn't work. I have to be on my knees, holding the E-Chain to feed it into the slot while simultaneously using the app to retract the slide. Even after taping, it wants to fold on itself - as if something in the tunnel is blocking its path. Thats what I'm trying to find out. Dont know a way in there. But thank you, thank you. I am experiencing the same issue. I've searched and didn't come across it anywhere? Maybe you should have made individual posts instead of 52 at the same time? JUST KIDDING!
Blue Ox
Air Force One
Old 02-24-2023, 11:50 AM   #7

Ours failed at the factory during its build, and we were told a new chain was being installed. Not sure about the "new" part as we received our coach with an e-chain that had electrical tape wrapped around it. I don't see how this is going to hold for any lengthy period of time as the tape is already getting rubbed, torn, and folded from going in and out of the tunnel - Only a matter of time. This is one of the items on our list that we've sent to Dynamax.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Dynaquest View Post
Thank you MevetS - That picture of your E-Chain hanging out under the slide is exactly what mine looked like. I taped it, didn't work. I duct taped it, didn't work. I have to be on my knees, holding the E-Chain to feed it into the slot while simultaneously using the app to retract the slide. Even after taping, it wants to fold on itself - as if something in the tunnel is blocking its path. Thats what I'm trying to find out. Dont know a way in there. But thank you, thank you. I am experiencing the same issue. I've searched and didn't come across it anywhere? Maybe you should have made individual posts instead of 52 at the same time? JUST KIDDING!
TX, is your e-chain tunnel rectangular pvc tubing? Ours is but has the bottom and part of the rearward side cut out, which may help keep it from snagging while traveling inward.
-Demco Air Force One
Old 02-24-2023, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToTheForce View Post
TX, is your e-chain tunnel rectangular pvc tubing? Ours is but has the bottom and part of the rearward side cut out, which may help keep it from snagging while traveling inward.
Ours is definitely rectangular pvc I believe. It seems that as the slide goes in, the chain wants to cock sideways or gets hung up on something. Not smooth at all, which causes it to buckle and fold in on itself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EChain.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	284232  
Blue Ox
Air Force One
Old 02-25-2023, 07:16 AM   #10
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
I'm familiar with sitting on the ground and feeding the wiring harness chain into the cavity the goes into the slide. Unfortunately, when ours happened before the Dynamax tape job, the Mira App for the Force was not released. I had to have my "1st mate", work the slide. Fortunately, she has a sense of humor.

Exactly why I resurrected our event. This is not an event I would like to revisit in the future. I would imagine that it should be a warranty item.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:21 AM   #11
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Best I recall ours is also a rectangular channel in the slide. I didn't sit around long enough to determine if it was fiberglass, PVC or some other material. A more slippery material, such as Delrin or HD Polyethylene might be possible.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORCE of Nature View Post
Mine does not have the E-Chain, but I have used various versions before. That said, don't take this info to the bank, but it should get you headed in the right direction. They all generally have one side you can remove/open to then lay your loom or bundle of cables inside.

I think these are the Clip Points for your chain.
Attachment 284199

And then they will pop up individually per link, or come off in a strip similarly to this.
Attachment 284198

Good luck

Thanks Force - I tried popping some of the clips, but it seems once they have been compromised there is not a way of snapping them back on without losing the integrity of the clip as it appears to be a one and done snap? More tape I suppose. Ugh. Has anyone stumbled upon a solution for this? Thanks!
Blue Ox
Air Force One
Old 02-27-2023, 02:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks Force - I tried popping some of the clips, but it seems once they have been compromised there is not a way of snapping them back on without losing the integrity of the clip as it appears to be a one and done snap? More tape I suppose. Ugh. Has anyone stumbled upon a solution for this? Thanks!
We have not made changes just yet, but here are some pictures of how the factory taped ours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E-Chain_03 - 31%.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	284339   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Chain_04 - 31%.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	284340  
-Demco Air Force One
Old 02-27-2023, 02:23 PM   #14

Quote:
We have not made changes just yet, but here are some pictures of how the factory taped ours.
Hypothetical... but that picture makes it seem like the ridges on the hinges get stuck up against the leading edge of the white cavity entrance. They taped all the high "catch points" on the sides of the chain. That leads me to believe if the chain had SMOOTH SIDES it would not have the issue you guys are seeing. The natural lateral play back and forth likely manages to get a link caught on the leading edge of the cavity while sliding in, causing the binding. Alternatively, that leading edge of the white cavity should have some kind of beveled or flared edge allowing the chain to glide in and not get caught.

Name:   Capture.PNG
Views: 254
Size:  101.7 KB

Just theory, but that last picture says a lot in my opinon.
11FT Triton ATV Trailer / Artic Cat SXS
Retired: 2011 Dutchman Aerolite/2015 FR Heritage Glen
FORCE of Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Hypothetical... but that picture makes it seem like the ridges on the hinges get stuck up against the leading edge of the white cavity entrance. They taped all the high "catch points" on the sides of the chain. That leads me to believe if the chain had SMOOTH SIDES it would not have the issue you guys are seeing. The natural lateral play back and forth likely manages to get a link caught on the leading edge of the cavity while sliding in, causing the binding. Alternatively, that leading edge of the white cavity should have some kind of beveled or flared edge allowing the chain to glide in and not get caught.

Attachment 284341

I think you may have something there. I will try to put a piece of flexible edge guard along both sides, tape the hell out of the track and see if that works. But its worth a shot. I've searched all over to find other solutions to this, maybe using the wrong words, but are Steve and I the only ones experiencing this?

While the thought of traveling to Elkhart to see numerous Amish flea markets is appealing, I have a short list that I'm trying to work through, but Indiana may make the spring time travel plans.

Embarrassing as it is, we've only had this out locally for a few excursions. While I understand its normal to come across oddities from a new build, I just want the surprises to be over and have a trouble free trip. We leave next week for a 4,000 mile trip, crossing my fingers that everything is a pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Milage.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	284344  
Blue Ox
Air Force One
Old 02-27-2023, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:

Attachment 284341

You mean like this? :-)

It's on our list that we've sent to Dynamax. We are hoping for a more permanent solution (New version of chain). There isn't much to do on the far side, other than smooth it out a bit. The near side is going to have to be flared and rounded, though I think it'll still rub. I see these as only near term bandaids to a larger issue. Maybe some type of tapered round tubing sleeve would fix the issue...just not sure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E-Chain_01 - 32%.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	284348  
-Demco Air Force One
Old 02-28-2023, 04:07 AM   #17
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
Looks familiar!
Old 02-28-2023, 04:14 AM   #18
Steve & Linda M.

Quote:
You mean like this? :-)

It's on our list that we've sent to Dynamax. We are hoping for a more permanent solution (New version of chain). There isn't much to do on the far side, other than smooth it out a bit. The near side is going to have to be flared and rounded, though I think it'll still rub. I see these as only near term bandaids to a larger issue. Maybe some type of tapered round tubing sleeve would fix the issue...just not sure.
Agree with your assessment. Specifically the "only near term bandaids to a larger issue".

Even if the larger issue is in the future.
Old 02-28-2023, 03:37 PM   #19

Ok granted, this is far from a real world problem. But is there a real fix for this or just keep adding a roll of electrical tape every few RV parks down the road? It just seems others must have encountered this other than the 3 or 4 that are living it.

How long has this e-chain been a part of the build process? Is it still being used? Were there any modifications to the build while using this? What was used prior to the e-chain set up?

My back is surely not going to agree with me if I need to be on my knees feeding this in the tube for much longer.

Appreciate guidance on a more permanent solution.

Thanks
Blue Ox
Air Force One
Old 02-28-2023, 04:02 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Just call service please. Use the tape as a temporary solution until the E-chain can be replaced with the new version.

I gave this direction on a previous thread. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...-256102-2.html

At some point we could not get what we were using (not sure exact date), on 8/31/22 we changed from Kabel to IGUS.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, slide