Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2024, 07:52 PM   #1

Electrical Issue 2021 Isata 5 36DS

Hi,

This is my first post, I am slightly panicked and am hoping somebody can help. My Chassis battery is not showing up in Precision plex correctly (0,1v). Also, my steps dont work, my equalizers dont turn on there is 0V going into the BIM from the chassis, I have a battery warning light on in the cab, but both chassis batteries read 12.83v at rest with a multimeter. I cant figure out what is going on, help please!!! The steps work and the equalizers power on when the engine is running. When I push the start assist button on the dash, the warning light goes away for a brief moment. the voltage reads 14.2v (in warning red) when the engine is running, but precision plex always stays at 0v. Its almost like a switch is not working correctly somewhere between the engine area and the BIM. I changed the BIM, no change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	levels.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	300433  
Nickwva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 05:40 AM   #2

Can somebody please send me the correct Magnum settings for my dual Intimidator AGM battery setup, I mistakingly reset to default, which changed everything to flooded and The rest doesnt look right to me. Thanks
Old 06-01-2024, 10:32 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwva View Post
Can somebody please send me the correct Magnum settings for my dual Intimidator AGM battery setup, I mistakingly reset to default, which changed everything to flooded and The rest doesnt look right to me. Thanks
There should be an AGM setting. It is not terribly far off of flooded.

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 10:48 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Here is a thread about the midi module going out on the Precisions plex.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ge-272393.html

Though in that case, both batteries said low voltage.

Also, this guy is also shwing zero chassis battery. I do not see where he found a solution, but it seemed to point to the BIM. See if you have a BIRD or a BIM (I assume BIM)

Old 06-01-2024, 11:30 AM   #5

Thank you. Slightly unrelated question- Do the main power cables attaching to a regular BIM need to swapped around when installing an Li-BIM?
Old 06-01-2024, 11:33 AM   #6
Commercial Member

If you search "conversion" I post the instructions on a BIRD to BIM (or LI-BIM) conversion. Advanced search, that keyword and my user name. (I think)

Old 06-01-2024, 11:36 AM   #7
Commercial Member

OK scratch that. I searched BIRD and came across this thread where I post several pdf's, including the BIRD to BIM (improperly spelled BOM)
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...li-200367.html

post #5

Old 06-01-2024, 11:44 AM   #8

I dont have a bird, i have a bim….the regular bim doesnt seem to care about which side the power cables are attached, the LiBim specifically says chassis and coach, not sure if left or right is coach or chassis
Old 06-01-2024, 11:52 AM   #9
Commercial Member

There is another diagram on here for the M2 that I have posted that will list wire color. Should be able to find the chassis wire as it will come off of the chassis post on the back wall.

I still think we wire chassis to the left side.

Old 06-02-2024, 10:31 AM   #10

BIM to LiBIM on 2021 Isata 5 36DS

Brian,

I have taken a picture and labeled the main power cables for the existing BIM, please let me know if you have somebody that could look at this and tell me I'm not cray cray!!! To me, it looks like Cable A and Cable D must be swapped around, and then do cables B&C follow Cable D? After that is done, what happens to the smaller cables above, I assume the outer cables must be swapped too, leaving the middle one in place?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Isata536DS_BIM to LiBIM.pdf (407.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #11
Commercial Member

What exactly are you trying to do?

I assume things were working? Then suddenly stopped working? So why would the cables be wrong now?

Old 06-02-2024, 01:52 PM   #12

I received the ZCase fuse at noon and everything is back to normal!!! It is very difficult to tell if those fuses have blown, it is not apparent visually, you have to physically check. I noticed the voltage above and below the fuse were very different, which initially confused me, as I have never encountered these fuses before, that lead me to take it out and study it closely.

Thank you all for helping, it is very reassuring that there are so many helpful people out there, again thank you!!!!!

Brian, special thanks to you, it is rare to see such concern and involvement in a product, very refreshing.

To answer your question, nothing is wrong now, all fixed. However, this situation has me looking at converting to Li batteries, I have been looking and studying what is involved, just by virtue of looking at the wiring, tackling the thread issue.

Here is a summary of what I think I know:

Step 1 - Select Li battery sizes and types
Step 2 - Decide on Li-BIM vs. DC2DC charger (I choose Li-BIM)
Step 3 - Disconnect Shore Power, turn off coach battery switch
Step 4 - Disconnect Chassis batteries and Coach Negative terminals
*Step 5 - Replace BIM with Li-BIM (this is where my cable question comes in)
Step 6 - Replace AGMs with Li and replicate the battery connections
Step 7 - Contact Magnum, they can help program your Li battery bank parameters in remote, then reset Invertor
Step 8 - Program GoPower Solar controller for Li parameters

That's about it. What I am trying to learn now is the cable move on the 2 different BIMs. Once I know this, I will move forward.
Old 06-02-2024, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
I dont have a bird, i have a bimÖ.the regular bim doesnt seem to care about which side the power cables are attached, the LiBim specifically says chassis and coach, not sure if left or right is coach or chassis
Chassis connects to AGM battery(s) on the engine side, coach connects to lithium battery(s). I had to mount my LI-BIM upside down to do this without moving large cable wiring.
Previous RVíing:
2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2604WS, 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS, All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:34 PM   #14

Quote:
I received the ZCase fuse at noon and everything is back to normal!!! It is very difficult to tell if those fuses have blown, it is not apparent visually, you have to physically check. I noticed the voltage above and below the fuse were very different, which initially confused me, as I have never encountered these fuses before, that lead me to take it out and study it closely.

Thank you all for helping, it is very reassuring that there are so many helpful people out there, again thank you!!!!!

Brian, special thanks to you, it is rare to see such concern and involvement in a product, very refreshing.

To answer your question, nothing is wrong now, all fixed. However, this situation has me looking at converting to Li batteries, I have been looking and studying what is involved, just by virtue of looking at the wiring, tackling the thread issue.

Here is a summary of what I think I know:

Step 1 - Select Li battery sizes and types
Step 2 - Decide on Li-BIM vs. DC2DC charger (I choose Li-BIM)
Step 3 - Disconnect Shore Power, turn off coach battery switch
Step 4 - Disconnect Chassis batteries and Coach Negative terminals
*Step 5 - Replace BIM with Li-BIM (this is where my cable question comes in)
Step 6 - Replace AGMs with Li and replicate the battery connections
Step 7 - Contact Magnum, they can help program your Li battery bank parameters in remote, then reset Invertor
Step 8 - Program GoPower Solar controller for Li parameters

That's about it. What I am trying to learn now is the cable move on the 2 different BIMs. Once I know this, I will move forward.
Iíd add - disconnect temperature sensor on old battery(s) from battery and magnum network. I just unplugged mine from the Magnum and all was fine.

You should contact your lithium manufacturer for the Magnum settings, not magnum. They will most-likely tell you to also disconnect the temperature sensor.
Previous RVíing:
2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2604WS, 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS, All pop-up and tent camping before...
Old 06-03-2024, 06:06 AM   #15

Thanks!!! Which one is the temp sensor? Is it plugged into the inverter via RJ11?
Old 06-03-2024, 07:55 AM   #16

Also, can you post a picture of your LiBIM installed for me?
Old 06-03-2024, 08:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Also, can you post a picture of your LiBIM installed for me?
Later today when I am home I will take a picture of the LiBIM and the temp sensor unplugged.
Previous RVíing:
Old 06-03-2024, 01:51 PM   #18

Photos attached, one shows LIBIM and you might be able to see the battery temperature sensor coiled up and disconnected above it. The other two are showing the BTS (battery temp sensor) unplugged from the magnum. I made no changes to the magnum to disable this sensor and havenít had any issues unplugging it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9737.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	300499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9740.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	300500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9741.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	300501  
Previous RVíing:
Old 06-03-2024, 04:32 PM   #19

THANK you very much, I knew I wasn't crazy, that is perfect!!! I am also about to splice in the diode.....wish me luck!
Old 06-04-2024, 09:58 AM   #20

It lloks like you may have a battery monitor hooked up, which one do you have? And are you happy with it?

Tags
2021, electric, electrical