Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

Electrical Problem - 2017 Force HD

I leave the Forced plugged into my home 120V plug with GFI, to help charge the batteries, keep the fridge cold, and run some lights before and after trips.

I just had a water leak under the bed. I plugged a fan into the outlet on the right side of the bed to help dry the carpet. After about 2 hours, something tripped the home GFI switch. It did not trip the RV GFI.
When I run the generator, the plug does still work. It did not blow any RV fused or trip any of the RV breakers. But now every time I plug into the 120V, it trips the HOME GFI plug.
I did the breaker process of elimination, and have it narrowed to the fridge and the pole 2 breakers.
It seems the water might be the source of the problem, or did my fan possibly damage something farther down the line from the plug. I read a few generic posts and all seem to point to grounds, but I dont know where to start looking.
The fan does still work too; the motor did not burn up.
Thanks in advance for any help and guidance.
Gas-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

Residential fridge?
If so those suck up a lot of current ( more than 15 a ) at start up

Anything above the fridge that is olugged in will for sure exceed the 15 a and trip the circuit
Our building codes here dictate a dedicated 15amp breaker for the fridge alone
myhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:39 AM   #3

Presumingly it is tripping the GFCI because it senses a current path to ground. I think that you have been lucky up till now as plugging RVs into GFCI circuits is hit and miss and often results in the kind of issue that you are experiencing. I bet the water on the floor changed something and right now your GFCI won't put up with it. I would try to plug into a non GFCI circuit on your house and forget it.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #4

GFCI receptacles don't play well with each other and often will trip when one GFCI circuit is plugged into another. Like Scott said, try plugging into a non-GFCI circuit. Also, check all connections to be sure they are snug. Loose connections will also play havoc with GFCI circuits.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 AM   #5

I would get one of those GFCI diagnostic tools..$4-5 and check home and RV. I would check polarity on the rv circuit(prolly nothing there). The next I would check connection on the RV connector. This requires breaking the seal to the wall, but it could be repaired easily enough. These are pretty common bad connection points.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhorse View Post
Residential fridge?
If so those suck up a lot of current ( more than 15 a ) at start up

Anything above the fridge that is olugged in will for sure exceed the 15 a and trip the circuit
Our building codes here dictate a dedicated 15amp breaker for the fridge alone
He is tripping a GFCI, not a breaker. That has nothing to do with heavy load. As others explained sometimes it does work with two GFCIs on the same circuit.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #7

misread - Thanks
myhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I would get one of those GFCI diagnostic tools..$4-5 and check home and RV. I would check polarity on the rv circuit(prolly nothing there). The next I would check connection on the RV connector. This requires breaking the seal to the wall, but it could be repaired easily enough. These are pretty common bad connection points.
X2. Plug into shore power on a non GFCI controlled receptacle then check your RV circuitry with a GFCI Tester (as mentioned above).
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #9

You did not indicate weather the GFCI was also a spark sensor. Some of the GFCI breakers made in the last 10 years or so trip if they sense a spark. A motor with brushes or a 110 volt light bulb burning out can trip one of these. Like the suggestions above, try a none GFCI source to see if your symptoms change.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy7159 View Post
You did not indicate weather the GFCI was also a spark sensor. Some of the GFCI breakers made in the last 10 years or so trip if they sense a spark. A motor with brushes or a 110 volt light bulb burning out can trip one of these. Like the suggestions above, try a none GFCI source to see if your symptoms change.
GFCI outlets sense a current imbalance. What you are talking about is called an Arc Fault Detector, I believe.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
GFCI outlets sense a current imbalance. What you are talking about is called an Arc Fault Detector, I believe.
You are correct. My mistake.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #12

Dual Function AFCI/GFCI Circuit Breaker
Two state-of-the-art technologies combined in one device

Enlarge
The Dual Function Circuit Breaker combines Class A 5mA GFCI and Combination Type*AFCI, protecting against both Arc Faults and Ground Faults. This, along with the new Self-Test feature, makes it the first in class in electrical safety for homeowners.
The 2014 National Electrical Code (NEC®) now requires both Arc Fault and Ground Fault protection on kitchen and laundry circuits. Before the release of Dual Function Circuit Breakers, the only option to comply with this code was to pair an AFCI circuit breaker with a GFCI receptacle. The Dual Function Circuit breaker combines these two devices into one solution that provides both cost savings and less hassle in installation and maintenance.

Maybe one of these is in the circuit. A bad or corroded/mineralized connection (water leak) could also trip a GFCI under the right conditions.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:43 PM   #13

It is a residential fridge.
I don't have any non-gfi plugs here, but I will look into testing somewhere else.
I need one of those testers anyway. I'll try both.
Thanks
Gas-man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical