Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #1

Engine brake and trailer brakes

I heard a couple times, but nothing official, that if you are running your engine brake and it engages, it applies your trailer brakes.

Those people said it would lock up their trailer tires.

Any truth or tips on this subject?

We traveled from from Fort Worth to Nashville yesterday then back home tomorrow hailing a kitchen trailer. Might use it in the hills of Tennessee.

2021 Dynamax Force HD 37BD
TexasChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:05 AM   #2

No, the engine brake is just what it implies, an engine brake.

The eb uses the back pressure of your engine to slow you vehicle. Just like downshifting but added back pressure to slow you down.

I’ve traveled some long down grades out west and using eb never touched the brakes. The eb did the braking.

I use cruise control and as I reach the crest I adjust the speed to much lower than I want to go as the truck overshoots the set speed by 5+ mph or so but then eb sets in and brings you down to the set speed. You then can bump up the cruise by mph increments.

If you don’t like using cruise then tap your brakes to cause your truck to downshift until you get the speed you want

Use it, you will love it

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #3
Insert witty title here

What ^^^^^ said.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:46 PM   #4

Yes, the m2 turns on the brake lights when the jake brake applies which in turn applies the trailer brakes.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Yes, the m2 turns on the brake lights when the jake brake applies which in turn applies the trailer brakes.
This is a contradiction to earlier comments. Yes or no, it applies trailer brakes?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:33 PM   #6

Engine brake

2011 Chevy duramax, I use my engine brake as well using the cruise control, next time I am going to monitor the trailer braking on my dash, it should show braking anytime trailer brakes are applied.
Daniel.mullins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
This is a contradiction to earlier comments. Yes or no, it applies trailer brakes?
The trailer has brakes.
TexasChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:29 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
The trailer has brakes.
I think it will depend on the brake controller and truck setup.

On the M2, as do many larger trucks,the brake light some on when the eb activates. On my Chevy 2500 they do not.

Why it might depend is my Chevy uses a built in brake controller and does not activate the trailer brakes once the eb activates with the built in brake controller.

A vehicle might have a brake controller that is wired into the brake lights so if they were to activate when the light come on (ex the eb activates them) then yes the trailer brakes will activate. (Had a put that was wired to the brake lights once for a Hopkins brake controller)

So it will depend on your setup.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:54 PM   #9

Who in the world would have trailer brakes hooked into the brake lights been wiring trucks for years for trailers and have never wired into brake lights.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:26 PM   #10

Sounds like you need to give more details about the tow vehicle and type of trailer brakes.

For example, my old popup had surge brakes, if the engine brakes hard enough they WOULD apply no need to touch the brake pedal. My 28' camper I tow today has electric brakes and they will not apply only from engine braking.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:06 PM   #11
TRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
Who in the world would have trailer brakes hooked into the brake lights been wiring trucks for years for trailers and have never wired into brake lights.
Are you setting up air brake systems?

I've used the Prodigy brakes on many of my pickups and on my DX3, and yes, they use the brake light to activate the trailer brakes. However, the trailer braking is proportioned using an accelerometer within the Prodigy unit, so the faster you are slowing, the more trailer brake you get. When I use the brakes in my DX3, I see the Prodigy system activate and then the amount of brake being applied to the trailer is proportional to the deceleration rate of the tow vehicle.

I've never noticed the brake proportioning numbers appearing on my prodigy when EB activates, likely because the deceleration rate is not great enough to activate the trailer brakes. I'll look tomorrow when I'm traveling.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-116456.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake controller.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	275178  
Old 06-19-2022, 08:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Me for one. I am one of the thousands, if not millions of people that has an aftermarket proportional brake controller (installed in my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan) that uses the brake light switch for activation. I had a timed style controller installed there before, which used the brake light switch for activation. I installed a Curt Spectrum controller in my Dodge Durango which activated from the brake lights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	capture1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	275179
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:46 PM   #13

The original post is in the Dynamax forum, so the question is specific to the Freightliner chasis, not a pickup.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 08:47 PM   #14

I’m confused. The op asked about his engine brake not his brake controller. Maybe different on a MH but I doubt it.

EB downshifts engine and used engine back pressure to slow vehicle.

Do your brake lights come on when you downshift? Mine don’t nor as far as I know no one’s does?

Engine brake just brakes the engine tranny speed. I even use tow/haul when not pulling our 5th wheel. It is not connected to brake controller.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I’m confused. The op asked about his engine brake not his brake controller. Maybe different on a MH but I doubt it.

EB downshifts engine and used engine back pressure to slow vehicle.

Do your brake lights come on when you downshift? Mine don’t nor as far as I know no one’s does?

Engine brake just brakes the engine tranny speed. I even use tow/haul when not pulling our 5th wheel. It is not connected to brake controller.
Motorhome or truck does not matter. It depends upon what the trailer brake controller uses for activation.

Also, see this post:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2483472

Lots of forum posts state that brake lights with engine braking is a programmable function. So, if the brake lights are programmed to come on with engine braking, and the brake controller installed uses the brake light function to activate, then the trailer brakes would be applied with engine braking.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:03 PM   #16

Let me simplify this entire thread

If your brake controller apply a brakes (you see it on its screen) when only engine braking, install a separate pressure switch for just trailer brake controller. Very easy to do, 10 min job.

If it does not apply the trailer brakes on engine braking then forget about it - your fine.

—John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:06 PM   #17

I had to do away with the surge brakes on my boat trailer because I live up the mountain and going down to the lake with EB on the surge brakes cooked the trailer brakes.
Not sure that is what OP is referring to. Like others said the pendulum type actuator can also apply the trailer brakes from the deceleration provided by the EB.
aircommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:06 PM   #18

Quote:
I heard a couple times, but nothing official, that if you are running your engine brake and it engages, it applies your trailer brakes.

We traveled from from Fort Worth to Nashville yesterday then back home tomorrow hailing a kitchen trailer. Might use it in the hills of Tennessee.

Be very careful listening to "internet experts"!!

I googled your question since I have no experience with a Freightliner motorhome and it seems that yes your trailer brakes would apply just from engine braking. That question also came up on this forum.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ke-250521.html answer #6

good luck and remember "we are not experts but play one when online"
Old 06-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #19

Quote:

!!! The op has a 2021 Dymamax Force maybe Brian can help.

I know on a pickup the engine brake will not activate the trailer brakes but on a bigger truck I have no idea. Technology changes often.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 09:51 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Apparently everyone but yourself

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, trailer