Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #21

The possibilities are endless, I've seen everything that was mentioned and then some, even metal filings clogging the fuel system. Don't keep trying, you'll drain the batteries and eventually damage the starter, let the Freightliner guys fix it.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #22

Be sure and post up when you determine what the issue was and the solution.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #23

What engine model do you have, and year. I saw the make.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
What engine model do you have, and year. I saw the make.
2018 DX3. The chassis is a 2017 Freightliner M2-106 with the 8.9L Cummins.
mookieblaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #25

He has the 8.9 ISL, 1000 ft-lbs torqued, 2018
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
The possibilities are endless, I've seen everything that was mentioned and then some, even metal filings clogging the fuel system. Don't keep trying, you'll drain the batteries and eventually damage the starter, let the Freightliner guys fix it.
That's pretty much where I'm at. Going to figure out the logistics of getting it towed to Freightliner first thing in the morning. Have to figure out the warranty part of tow...who to call, how the process works, etc. Then there's the fact that the air has been dumped from rear suspension, and I'm concerned that the coach is going to drag once it's behind the tow truck.

Anyone know if there's an external valve/input to manually inflate the rear bags without the engine running?
Old 01-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #27

You were given a one year membership to Coach-Net with your rig. Call Coach-Net and have them tow you to the Freightliner shop. Your membership number might be in your paperwork, or else call MHS and the guy that did all of your paperwork. It's all FREE.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #28

I believe I read in the Freightliner manual that you don't want to drive the rig with the bags deflated because it will damage them. Might want to check if this is true. I would guess there should be a way to inflate the bags from another source like the tow truck. Then, again, they may send a low boy. Good luck and please do let us know the outcome..
Another 2018 DX3 owner.
hook47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
You were given a one year membership to Coach-Net with your rig. Call Coach-Net and have them tow you to the Freightliner shop. Your membership number might be in your paperwork, or else call MHS and the guy that did all of your paperwork. It's all FREE.
Thanks, Bob. That's what I expected, and I have their number ready to call in the morning. I'm certain we filled out that paperwork at MHS when we were completing all the warranty items they were going to file/submit on our behalf, but I couldn't find a copy of it in our paperwork this afternoon. I'll call them in the morning and get the info.

Per the recommendation of the Freightliner shop foreman, I still want to at least try to talk to a Cummins tech in the morning before scheduling the tow...just to make sure I'm not missing something. I also have an e-mail into Brian Meeks at Dynamax to verify I'm following the protocol for this sort of warranty work.

Thanks for all the feedback today, folks. We'll get it sorted out, and I'll be sure to post the results as they unfold...even if they end up being something stupid the new owner did or overlooked

JT
Old 01-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #30

Thanks for that info on the model, first is a shut off solenoid is used on mechanical injection engines, not yours as far as spraying ether that won’t tell you anything because on a diesel it is always a fuel problem, the difference with the common rail fuel system is that electronics control the fuel. Check all electrical connectors that you can see on the engine if one wasn’t snapped in good and it pulled apart it will shut off like you described. When your in reverse the engine torque moves the engine in the opposite direction than when in a forward gear, sometimes I have found when the wiring is strapped tight it pulls on the wires and plugs that aren’t fully engaged and locked can pull apart in reverse but not in forward. So when inspecting the wiring plugs look close at them because they can be pulled apart enough to disconnect the current supply but still look connected.
Hope this helps. Diesel experience over 50 years.
Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner I had to go on the road.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #31

Thanks for the reply. I'll go over all the connectors I can see/lay hands on again first thing in the morning before proceeding. As I mentioned in the first post, the bracket securing the batteries in position in the storage bay did break loose on the drive home and the batteries moved around quite a bit. Everything is extremely secure down there though, wiring/battery cable wise, and I couldn't find a single loose, broken or dangling wire in the bay.

While crawling under coach tracing all the fuel lines this morning I did see a single milspec type connector dangling out of a harness along the frame rail. It definitely looked out of place, but I couldn't for the life of me find a mate for it. Eventually I gave up and just assumed it was a connector in a generic harness that just wasn't used on this chassis. Your post makes me want to look into this a bit deeper, but, for what it's worth, this was near the transmission on the driver's side of the chassis vs. in the engine bay or around any of the fuel components. I'll check it out.

Thanks again for the follow-up.

JT
Old 01-29-2018, 01:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookieblaylock View Post
Thanks, Bob. That's what I expected, and I have their number ready to call in the morning. I'm certain we filled out that paperwork at MHS when we were completing all the warranty items they were going to file/submit on our behalf, but I couldn't find a copy of it in our paperwork this afternoon. I'll call them in the morning and get the info.

Per the recommendation of the Freightliner shop foreman, I still want to at least try to talk to a Cummins tech in the morning before scheduling the tow...just to make sure I'm not missing something. I also have an e-mail into Brian Meeks at Dynamax to verify I'm following the protocol for this sort of warranty work.

Thanks for all the feedback today, folks. We'll get it sorted out, and I'll be sure to post the results as they unfold...even if they end up being something stupid the new owner did or overlooked

JT
You may want to check your Freigthliner docs to see if they have roadside assistance under warranty. There is a possibility that they may send a service truck to you and not have to tow.

Our Ford chassis has roadside service under warranty via Ford.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #33
Commercial Member

We purchase with a chassis a towing add on along with the coachnet. Better would be to figure it out while still in the driveway if possible.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:29 PM   #34

A proper tow truck for that rig will be prepared to hook into your air system to pressurize it. That is need to release the air brakes as well as get minimum pressure into the rear suspension.

It should the same fitting that is on the rig that you hook to if you want to air up your tires.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:27 PM   #35

The short update is that the rig has been towed to the Freightliner service center.

The more lengthy update:

I feel like I did all I could possibly do to avoid having to get it towed including exhausting my own troubleshooting capabilities (which didn't take very long), talking with service techs at the local Freightliner and Cummins service centers, and reaching out to two different independent techs/diesel mechanics.

The local Freightliner shop had no mobile service/road side assistance offering and said I'd have to have it towed in before they would look at it.

The Cummins shop does have a mobile service offering, but, based on the code I was able to retrieve from the basic diagnostics they said 1) the list of possibilities was pretty long and it would likely take a couple of days to sort out the actual problem (not something they wanted to do in my driveway, and 2) they only had a single mobile tech, and the earliest he could come out was next week. Like Frieghtliner, they highly encouraged me to have it towed to their shop.

One reputable local independent no longer maintained the Cummins diagnostic software subscription, so he recommended another. I called them, but they didn't have a road side assistance offering either.

I called Freightliner back and made sure they knew I was about to head that way for warranty work. He looked up the VIN, confirmed that wouldn't be a problem, and, as Brian pointed out above, also mentioned that this particular warranty included towing up to $550. I called their recommended towing company, which happened to be one we had experience with and would have chosen on our own if given the chance, and they came and got it. Unfortunately, they charged $650, but, if I'm only out 100 bucks when all of this is sorted out, I'll put this one in the win column.

As Randy mentioned, tapping into the air system was not a big deal and was obviously something they do all the time. He removed one of the blow off valves from the rear air tank, screwed in a temporary air hose fitting, and plumbed a temporary air line to his truck. The suspension aired right up (after I flipped the rear dump switch back to it's normal position). He dropped the drive shaft, and took off.

They only had 5 or 6 trucks in the shop, so there was an open bay for the coach. Apparently, when the dealer sells the coach, they have to notify Freightliner of the sale so they can update the chassis in their system with an 'in service' date. This essentially starts the warranty period. They cannot perform any warranty work until this has been done, and, as of this afternoon, MHS had not done that for our coach yet. I chatted with them briefly, and the service writer went ahead and opened the service ticket. Hopefully, before they have to do any actual warranty work (after diagnosis) all of this will be sorted out.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 PM   #36
Commercial Member

That was a very nice and detailed update. Bclemens would be proud.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #37

thanks for the update. Hope it is an easy fix. keep us posted.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #38

I am interested to hear what is the culprit to this issue. Who knows, one of us may need it in the future.

We need some kind of database with issues and fixes. Ah that would make life a little easier.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

It took a week of checking before my GMC dealer found a defective flare on the injector line. I guess the new diesels are real sensitive to things.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #40

I'm currently preparing myself for the call tomorrow letting me know that this was both operator error and something that could have been resolved...by me...in the driveway.