Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Canyon View Post
Yes. I keep it plugged in to 20 amp at home when not in use. I think this charges only the house batteries. I have two shut offs. One for the house and one for the truck.
I get 3 errors
SA: 11 ABS SPN: 803 FMI: 4
And
SA: 3 Trans SPN 2003 FMI 31
And
SA 3 Trans SPN 168 FMI 4
And today, a new one
SA: 33 Bulkhead SPN 524255 FMI 7

Doesn’t seem like these are battery errors, but the only thing that seems to be wrong is a sluggish start when it hasn’t been started in a while.

I believe you will get those codes when you chassis batteries are low.
Maybe try using the boost switch on dash if MH has been sitting for awhile.

If you have been plugged in to shore power the whole time sitting idle and you have a sluggish start up then very likely the BIRD is suspect.

Will see you in Granby Western Dynamax Gathering.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:38 PM   #22

Thanks. It’s looking like that is the problem.
Cactus Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 05:08 AM   #23

When I am driving, the readout says Inverting. If I understand correctly, and the BIRD is working properly, then it should be charging. Is this right?
Old 01-31-2021, 08:24 AM   #24

Quote:
When I am driving, the readout says Inverting. If I understand correctly, and the BIRD is working properly, then it should be charging. Is this right?
That's correct. The function of the inverter is separate from the BIRD though. The inverter is pulling power out of the house batteries and making 110V for all the outlets while you're driving. The function of the BIRD when you're underway is that it sees the charge coming from the alternator and connects the house batteries to that alternator power so that they charge too. Point is that the BIRD could be dead and you'd still be inverting like normal while driving. You would just be running the batteries down because they're not getting the alternator charge. If you aren't running them down that quickly you may not notice by the time you get where you're going and plug in, which would then re-charge the house batteries (but not the chassis battery if the BIRD is dead).

Does the Force have a button on the dash to use the house batteries to start the engine?
WeQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:48 AM   #25

Yes. It does have that switch on the dash, but so far I haven’t had to use it.
Is it possible that I have something set incorrectly?
Thanks.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Yes. It does have that switch on the dash, but so far I haven’t had to use it.
Is it possible that I have something set incorrectly?
Thanks.
It is a momentary switch, which means you have to hold it down. I'd be curious if you held it down for about a minute before starting the engine does the engine start easier? If the BIRD is bad it may not do anything, but worth a quick shot.
WeQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:23 PM   #27

This may help in checking the BIRD for proper operation

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...em-219943.html

There is another thread on this also. Will have to find.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:35 PM   #28

found the other thread:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...li-200367.html

within this thread Mr. C provided some pdf's on the BIRD. This should answer most of you questions about the BIRD.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:20 PM   #29

Just finished driving for the day. Now plugged into 50 amp. The engine restarts just fine now. Assuming this means it was getting a charge from the alternator.
I checked the BIRD, and it’s flashing green. Could this still be the problem? Might it be flashing green because the chassis batteries are fully charged now, and don’t need anything further from the BIRD?
Old 02-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #30

Batteries

Get a simple volt meter......

Measure battery voltage when you park it. When you go back to restart check voltage before starting. For a real check disconnect one battery before checking. Typical problem when one battery is marginal. It takes two good batteries to start a diesel.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Just finished driving for the day. Now plugged into 50 amp. The engine restarts just fine now. Assuming this means it was getting a charge from the alternator.
I checked the BIRD, and it’s flashing green. Could this still be the problem? Might it be flashing green because the chassis batteries are fully charged now, and don’t need anything further from the BIRD?
This from the BIRD sales flyer " LED is flashing green all the time" "No problem this is normal operation".
Old 02-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #32

Well I sure hope the dealer will be able to figure it out. It’s there now, and I am hoping to hear from them this week.