Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Entry Handle Doesn’t Light

Finally got around to checking out the entry handle and why it isn’t lighting. It’s definitely got power to it. One side is connected to the green wire for the entry light and the other side is connected to the white wire for the coach disconnect indicator light. Assuming that when the coach is turned on and the entry light is on that the outside handle will come on? Not sure. So is the only alternative at this point is that the light within the handle is defective? It all appears to be wired up correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entry handle light.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	178518  
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
Retired Army Paratrooper

Andy,
I had the exact same problem with mine. Everything was wired and connected but no light. I took the inside handle off and seen that it is the exact same they had just cut to wires for the connection off. I took and spliced into the wires on that one plugged it in and bam I have light.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Andy,
I had the exact same problem with mine. Everything was wired and connected but no light. I took the inside handle off and seen that it is the exact same they had just cut to wires for the connection off. I took and spliced into the wires on that one plugged it in and bam I have light.
Took the inside handle off this morning. It doesn’t have any wires to it. Not even a hole drilled accommodate wires. Only the outside handle has wires to it and they are all connected. Time to get out the tester.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #4

Definitely have power to the handle. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530969617.387150.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	178552
Old 07-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Think I found the issue. Outside handle top seal wasn’t on properly. There was water inside the handle. The electronics was wet and corroded. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530970082.723468.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	178554
Old 07-07-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

One of the wires was completely corroded off. Cleaned up the board and soldered the wire back. No go. Power to the bulb now but no light. Time to replace. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4414.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	178556Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4416.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	178557
Old 07-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Think I found the issue. Outside handle top seal wasn’t on properly. There was water inside the handle. The electronics was wet and corroded. Attachment 178554
😬 oops
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #8

Gotta Love Amazon.com

I was able to find the light on Amazon. Gotta love Amazon. I flipped the metal brackets so that the better gasket is on the top and repaired the gasket for what is not the bottom bracket. Here's the link to the bulb just in case anyone else ever needs one. Also, for you Blue fanatics...it comes in blue! Red too if you fancy that color over white.

ITC (86430-LED ASSEM-DB) Cool White Replacement LED Light Assembly for IllumaGrip Handles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle light.png
Views:	96
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	178696  
Old 07-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Think I found the issue. Outside handle top seal wasn’t on properly. There was water inside the handle. The electronics was wet and corroded. Attachment 178554
That is exactly how mine was when I removed it, poorly sealed. Made sure it had a good seal when I replaced it.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
Commercial Member

PS. the interior handle was never meant to be lit. But if we ran out of the non-lit, they would sub the lit.

I had someone note it as a warranty item, when I said it was not. The dealer made it be lit anyway to appease the customer, then they wrote up the fact that it was not bright enough during the day.

Are you kidding me?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #11

Entry Handle Doesn’t Light

That fixed it! My handle now lights! Hurray!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4427.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	178883
Old 07-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #12

So who has mastered this problem? New 2021 unit, not light in handle. Took it off and about a cup of water came out of bottom. Was well sealed with rtv around edges and moderately acceptable gasket. I'm thinking condensation might be the bigger culprit rather than leak. Planning on drilling drain hole in bottom of handle. Who has the best solution for gasket/sealing the mounting points? My light has power but bulb/puck is dead. Ordering new one. Looking for the master that has solved this problem and how?
red_georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #13

Had the same issue with my 2018. I resealed with rv sealant and haven't had any issues since. My gasket was also corrupted so moved bottom gasket to the top. I also bought the light for the handle inside. Works great!

Drilling a drain hole in the bottom won't help. The light is solid plastic (if I remember correctly) between the mounts.

Old 07-26-2020, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
Had the same issue with my 2018. I resealed with rv sealant and haven't had any issues since. My gasket was also corrupted so moved bottom gasket to the top. I also bought the light for the handle inside. Works great!

Drilling a drain hole in the bottom won't help. The light is solid plastic (if I remember correctly) between the mounts.

thanks for the reply.... if middle acrylic plastic handle is solid, then it has to be condensation otherwise no way a cup of water gets to bottom of handle? Drilling hole solves problem at bottom but not sure of fix for top???
red_georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #15

Maybe water entry is through gasket fit to side of coach AND where the plastic connects to the chrome mounts. Not sure.

I just went through 3.5"+ of rain a couple of months ago in Iowa in 22 hours. Haven't had any issue regarding the handles.

I did seal all joints in the handles and sealed the mount to the coach. RV sealant at all positions.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #16

Quote:
I was able to find the light on Amazon. Gotta love Amazon. I flipped the metal brackets so that the better gasket is on the top and repaired the gasket for what is not the bottom bracket. Here's the link to the bulb just in case anyone else ever needs one. Also, for you Blue fanatics...it comes in blue! Red too if you fancy that color over white.

ITC (86430-LED ASSEM-DB) Cool White Replacement LED Light Assembly for IllumaGrip Handles
Thanks for the link. I have filed that away for future use!

Anybody know if a replacement gasket is available separately?

Tags
light