Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2022, 03:51 PM   #1

Equalizer Jacks Won't Go Down

I attempted to level my coach today multiple times to no avail. When I turn on the Equalizer power, all my lights light up, which is correct, according to the Equalizer video I watched. They all turn off except the four individual jack lights. That has usually indicated I need to do an "All Retract" first, then after it quits beeping and the lights go out, hit "Auto Level" and the jacks go down.

In this instance, the "All Retract" never stops beeping and the lights stay on. If I cycle the power button off then back on and push "Auto Level" all I get is a beep. Pushing the individual jack buttons I can hear them connecting to the jacks, like a little bump sound, but the jacks do not move.

After watching the Equalizer troubleshooting video on YouTube, the guy basically described my problem and said if this is happening then unplug both of the leads from the back of the Equalizer switch, wait 15 seconds, plug them back in and the system should reset. Not so much in my case. Still have the same issue, jacks will not go down. There is power to all leads at the motor and the switch.

Got any ideas?
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #2

Make sure your fluid level is full.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #3

When in doubt, perhaps a full coach power reboot. Shore power disconnect. Generator off. Inverter off. Main battery switch in battery compartment off. That should be everything. Then reverse order to re power. If that doesn't work, I'd refer to the leveler manufacturer or FR experts. Did you try manually leveling?
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 05:19 PM   #4

Equalizer Jacks Won't Go Down

Fluid is full…checked that. Yes, tried to manually level, just hear a electrical bump sound when each one is pressed, so I know they are getting power.

I will call Equalizer tomorrow. They don’t work on Sundays. Unfortunately, I will be away from the coach for the next 3 days, so if they ask me to try some diagnostics the call will be for naught. I tried to do as much of the suggested troubleshooting as I could, so I could answer their questions.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:33 PM   #5

Sounds like you will be in good hands.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Old 10-09-2022, 05:39 PM   #6

I will try the complete coach reboot. I think it’s a long shot since I already unplugged the control panel per the Equalizer video and it didn’t change a thing. But, heck, it’s worth a try, right?
Old 10-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #7

Sounds pretty much like what recently happened to me, in my case it was a bad motor but the jacks were down, of course. 😩

That thump sound is most likely the solenoid that’s strapped to the motor. You can test for a motor problem by looking for voltage on the motor, it’s a reversing motor depending on if your going up or down so polarity reverses controlled by the solenoid. With your Voltmeter check for voltage on the motor when attempting any operation of the jacks. If you hear a thump and see voltage on the motor than motor is bad, if thump and no voltage perhaps your solenoid or connections are bad, my ground (negative, black) was somewhat loose as well.

On my unit it was equalizer motor part # 3332, $206 on equalizers website.
It is a bit of a delicate operation to change that motor as you remove its bottom plate before replacing and aligning the drive shaft. Easy to drop the stator right out of the motor case, (ask me how I found that out &#128529.

If replacing motor the breaker is in the electrical bay back wall 80amp resettable breaker so it’s easy to turn off, push yellow button. Good luck! 👍
Old 10-09-2022, 06:35 PM   #8

Sure hope it’s not that! I’m leaving for a 9 day trip on the 21st.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:27 AM   #9

Best of luck with diagnosis Joe, keep us posted.

Here's hoping for an easy fix.

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:40 PM   #10

Spoke with an Equalizer tech this morning. He feels confident it is the contact switch or the pressure switch, maybe both. Since I am out of warranty, I purchased both and they agreed to a 100% refund if I only need one to fix it. Going to start with the contact switch first and see if that does the trick. I’ll keep you posted.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:16 AM   #11

One small item to keep in mind for solar systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
I will try the complete coach reboot. I think it’s a long shot since I already unplugged the control panel per the Equalizer video and it didn’t change a thing. But, heck, it’s worth a try, right?
For those of us with solar panels it makes a complete reboot of the RV a bit more complicated. One of the items I intend to add are some on-off switches in front of the two solar controllers. That way I can be sure that when all switches are off, the RV has no power.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #12

The solar power goes from the solar controller to the batteries. So when you shut the main battery disconnect off in the battery bay, its my understanding you will be effecting a full coach shut down, of the DC component. The solar controller will still show power, but only because it is being fed from the panels and not going past that.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Old 10-15-2022, 03:12 PM   #13

Update: Called Equalizer Systems. Tech was 90% sure it was a contactor. Reminded me that is what he gets paid to do…diagnose problems. So, since I am out of warranty I purchased a new contactor, which he sold me at about 50% off, which was very kind of him. He also sold me a new Pressure Switch, “just in case” the contactor did not work. He also agreed to take it all back for no restocking fee if it doesn’t work…again, very kind.

I didn’t want to install both at the same time because maybe just one part would fix it. So, I installed the contactor first since he was “90% sure”. Well, not so much. 4 hours later, including a trip to the hardware store for a new clamp (had to cut the original off) I have the same problem. Decided to tackle the pressure switch, but it requires taking the entire hydraulic unit/motor off of the mounting plate because the pressure switch is literally right up against the generator, leaving no room to unscrew the switch. Then I re-read the instructions and it says you must relieve the pressure before attempting to remove the old pressure switch. No can do, since the way you relieve the pressure is by putting the jacks down, according to the instructions. Well, my jacks are stuck in the up position making that impossible.

Bottom line, I’m exactly where I was before I installed the new contactor, lost 4 hours of my life and I will be back on the phone with Equalizer come Monday!
Old 10-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #14
JSaylor

Sunseeker MB jacks

Mine are not working also. What circuit are they on? All wiring looks good. I could barely move them manually until I pulled the motors. Where do I look. The rig is new to me. Thanks!
jsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsay View Post
Mine are not working also. What circuit are they on? All wiring looks good. I could barely move them manually until I pulled the motors. Where do I look. The rig is new to me. Thanks!

We are talking about the Equalizer Systems jacks on Dynamax Freightliner M2 based motorhomes. There is no way to move these manually. Do you have an Equalizer Systems unit? Just not sure we are talking apples to apples here.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:47 PM   #16

Update: before tackling the pressure switch, I called Equalizer Systems again. Got a different tech than the first 90% sure guy. This time I was told to first unplug the yellow wire with the black line on it from the pressure switch. If the lights on the controller go out, pressure switch is bad. If the lights don’t go out, then it is bad controller. Did that and the lights did not go out. So, I now have a $600 controller on order and I am returning the the contractor and pressure switch previously purchased.

I am now at the beginning of the 3rd week trying to get this issue fixed. Hopefully, the controller arrives today and the problem is solved.

To be continued…
Old 10-31-2022, 08:57 PM   #17

Controller arrived. Installed…no joy. Did further testing and now Equalizer believes the motor is bad. Call me frustrated after 3 weeks.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Controller arrived. Installed…no joy. Did further testing and now Equalizer believes the motor is bad. Call me frustrated after 3 weeks.
Bummer. Can you return the controller?
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
Bummer. Can you return the controller?

Yes, Equalizer has been really good to work with. They are allowing me to return the part without their normal 20% restocking fee and they are paying the return freight.

The new diagnosis is a bad motor and possibly the pump. The new assembly is being shipped today. Hopefully, this will be the final attempt and I will have working levelers.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Yes, Equalizer has been really good to work with. They are allowing me to return the part without their normal 20% restocking fee and they are paying the return freight.

The new diagnosis is a bad motor and possibly the pump. The new assembly is being shipped today. Hopefully, this will be the final attempt and I will have working levelers.
Nice to see some companies still actually care, probably why Dynamax chose them.

Tags
equalizer, jacks