Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 01:12 AM   #1

Equalizer levelers quit on auto

MY Equalizer levelers have been working, but not holding null, yet always attempt to work.

Today they would not work on auto level, only manually.

Any ideas before I try to call Equalizer?

I was supposed to get a new null device but I assume I need to call back to Dmax for this, and I wonder if that control unit is why auto was not working.
dannko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
Commercial Member

I would just go ahead and call them. They are normally pretty responsive and every time I have called they knew what it was within a minute or two of explanation. I know that if ANY of the lights are on, it will not auto level. You have to hit "retract all" before using auto level. In my cat, I had an O-ring failing and it let the jacks fall 1/2" which was enough to make them "think" they were down. So I could never get auto level to work, even though they did manually.

Once I figured out I could hit auto retract (even though they looked up) the lights went out and auto level worked again.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I would just go ahead and call them. They are normally pretty responsive and every time I have called they knew what it was within a minute or two of explanation. I know that if ANY of the lights are on, it will not auto level. You have to hit "retract all" before using auto level. In my cat, I had an O-ring failing and it let the jacks fall 1/2" which was enough to make them "think" they were down. So I could never get auto level to work, even though they did manually.

Once I figured out I could hit auto retract (even though they looked up) the lights went out and auto level worked again.
Yes all the lights were on. Of course I never pay close enough attention to remember if that's normal or not. It didn't seem like any were dropping, but I didn't inspect too close. I have performed the purge many times as I always get the down warning when they sit for a few hours or more. That purge has never changed anything, so I don't believe there is any air in my system.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannko View Post
Yes all the lights were on. Of course I never pay close enough attention to remember if that's normal or not. It didn't seem like any were dropping, but I didn't inspect too close. I have performed the purge many times as I always get the down warning when they sit for a few hours or more. That purge has never changed anything, so I don't believe there is any air in my system.
Well, I was cursing Equalizer too the first two nights I tried to level. That is why I added that tidbit into the leveling video, I figured if it threw me, it would throw others.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

Talked with Equalizer, of course when I drove out to the RV and had the tech on the phone, it worked. He walked me thru a few things just to check out, but we will have to wait to see if it happens again.

All my spool valves were a little loose, enough to cause fluid leaking back not sure. But snugged them up anyway.

FYI some have stated these operate in pairs and yes they do, but no they don't. When the system does the auto level it will operate one single jack for leveling. It's just that manual operation of a single jack cannot happen.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
Commercial Member

I seemed to think that one came down to start, but once it hit, then the other jack would start to drop as the fluid then flowed across the matching jack. But I never paid much attention.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I seemed to think that one came down to start, but once it hit, then the other jack would start to drop as the fluid then flowed across the matching jack. But I never paid much attention.
Mine come down in pairs, fronts first, if one touches first it stops and waits for the other half of the pair to touch, then the rears come down together. Then it starts it's dancing to level. Null was off when I first got the coach and on our inaugural trip I got lucky with a very level pad. I set the null and have been happy since with Auto Level. Occasionally on a really bad off level site I have to use manual to get close to level.
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseymyers View Post
Mine come down in pairs, fronts first, if one touches first it stops and waits for the other half of the pair to touch, then the rears come down together. Then it starts it's dancing to level. Null was off when I first got the coach and on our inaugural trip I got lucky with a very level pad. I set the null and have been happy since with Auto Level. Occasionally on a really bad off level site I have to use manual to get close to level.
That is also the way I understood it was happening. So still in pairs....but it can seem like singles as one can come down on its own, until it sees pressure, then the other starts.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #9

Did the tech have you try re-initializing control head location/orientation? This was what was wrong with mine and it acted like it just couldn't find null no matter how many times null was reset. The initialization tells the control head where it is mounted and whether it it mounted horizontally or vertically. After resetting, I then reset null and it has worked perfectly. Apparently it can lose this calibration if power is lost for awhile. On a perfectly level concrete bay at dealership, it would raise front wheels 6" off pavement to try to achieve level and never stop searching for null.

David
Battchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #10

As I said above the guy at Equalizer said they come down in pairs, when manually used they only work in pairs, but when auto level does it's thing it will operate a single to achieve level.

They had to quit single use because some fools would operate one jack all the way out causing windshields to pop out.

Tags
equalizer