Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2021, 11:33 AM   #21

Add another one to the esp issues, drove home in strong cross winds last Friday and our light came on. Went for a drive Saturday and the light cleared and all seems fine. Might just be a drive when there is now wind kind of motorhome.
Mike946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:51 PM   #22

I tried several key cycles (yes opened the door, waited 30+sec) to clear mine and it remained so I went to my next destination. Bought a code reader and was not able to see error or clear. Next morning drove to a close Ram dealer and asked them to look at it. The code is in a “weird” place (tech showed me) where it’s part of the body section (I think that’s what it was). He reset it and set for calibration which was me driving down the road a couple miles. Haven’t had the error since but I’m very aware of the steering wheel position when I’m in wind and I try to keep correcting to keep the error from coming back. Probably 8K miles without the error after that trip. Also, my steering wheel has always been level going straight (not in wind).
I think the sensor programming is overly sensitive and Ram didn’t expect them to go off so easily on a big build.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #23

A generic reader may not work on the Ram exclusive codes, but OBD Fusion has an in-app purchase for 9.99 that adds all the Ram codes. You can see soft codes that have been captured but not triggered a light.

It provides dashboards that let you monitor all engine parameters.

I am still fine tuning my main dashboard, but this is what it currently looks like (took this screen shot just after a regeneration had started):

And there is nothing like the comfort of being able to quickly read a code when on the road to know if it is a just nuisance or a stop driving right now, for instance when you are 3/4s up the grapevine on a hot day (happened). My two prior TVs threw codes early although both eventually got software updates that pretty much stopped the nuisance ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7789.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	255773  
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:12 PM   #24

I guess we got lucky. Ours cleared after stopping for food on the way home, but then came back in 5 minutes down the road. Also cleared on Saturday when we went for a test drive and stayed off as it was not windy.
The steering does seem very loose on the 5500 ram. I have a 3500 and it is tight. The Isata seems to wander a lot with what seems to be a lot of steering input to bring it back straight. Even with little to no wind.
Might have to get me the app if this does become an issue.
Mike946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:07 AM   #25

Just an update, 800 miles after the dealer centered the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link, I have had no ESC error codes. The steering wheel is now nicely centered.

Desert Boat, I bought the OBD reader you suggested and downloaded the Fusion app. First time it connected, it popped up the option to buy the RAM codes for $9.99. I feel like now I can deal with any issues that come up. Thanks!
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light