Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 02:28 PM   #21
Consumer of Space

There are a new wooden slatted vent covers in a 37BH. Someone might pull out the screws and epoxy high strength magnets in their place and put a safe in there for quick access. I know it can be done.

I've had a firearm in my RV for as long as I can remember. I've never had to pull it out. It's like a spare key or a condom, you never need it until you REALLY need it.

My non-violent gun story:
I had a neighbor, years ago, who was a problem. Always screaming at his girlfriend, doing drugs, and blasting music. After asking him to turn it down one night, he turned it up even higher. I called the cops and they made him turn it down. As soon as the cops were gone he came banging on the door cussing and screaming, threatening me and my family. I got out the gun and asked the wife to open the door. I'll tell you, I've never seen someone sober up so fast. Just the fact that it was in front of me on the table was enough to get a polite apology and a quick exit. He moved out within two weeks after that.

I doubt it, but I can imagine a similar situation in a campground.

My 5th wheel broke a spring on the way out of Barstow, CA. I was unable move, after dark, in one of the worst parts of town. A police officer came by and advised me that it was a high crime area and to call him if anyone was messing with the rig. In the conversation it came up that I was armed. He nodded and told me to only use it to discourage bodily harm.

I don't worry about animals, in general... I worry about the humans.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #22

I bolted a safe to the closet floor of my RV much like Jammer151 did (may even be the same safe). But, I left a little space on the side and the rear of the safe, and found a box from a big case of baby wipes - I cut the bottom out of the box, and used it to fit over the safe. So, it looked like I had a case of baby wipes on the floor - not a safe...

BTW, my 2015 Forest River Charleston came standard with a safe mounted in the rear closet wall. Nice, but I needed a bit more space...

Carl
(NRA Endowment Member...)
Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM   #23

Wait till you get bit by a zombie then see who's crying.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
I agree. I don't believe the average person has enough natural ability to handle a firearm in a situation where it would be required. Police train extensively to learn how to react to violent occurences, how could an untrained individual cope?

I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN and to be able to own and carry and protect my life and the lives of my family if needed. Apparently in Canada there is no crime.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttg View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something here. ( Possibly because I'm Canadian ? )
I find it rather disturbing to think that everyone feels a need to have guns with them when out and about on vacation. What are we all so afraid of ?
Honestly I would feel safer thinking that the camper next to me isn't armed and ready.
That's kind of like asking "Why do people use anti sway bars? Why check tire pressure? Why have a fire extinguisher? What are they afraid of?" They aren't, because they've taken every reasonable precaution.

I accept responsibility for my own safety and that of my family. If me or one of my loved ones comes to harm it won't be because I was waiting on the cops to show up or lacked the means to intervene. It pretty much boils down to that. I don't limit my preparedness just to firearms. CPR, self defense, first aid, you get the picture.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
Old 08-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
That's kind of like asking "Why do people use anti sway bars? Why check tire pressure? Why have a fire extinguisher? What are they afraid of?" They aren't, because they've taken every reasonable precaution.

I accept responsibility for my own safety and that of my family. If me or one of my loved ones comes to harm it won't be because I was waiting on the cops to show up or lacked the means to intervene. It pretty much boils down to that. I don't limit my preparedness just to firearms. CPR, self defense, first aid, you get the picture.

Thank you sir.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:56 PM   #27

I installed this begining of this season. It fits like a glove and has alot of storage. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170709_182040.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	150059
Old 08-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Stack-On Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock : Cabela's

This should fit under most bed storage areas; or behind/under a drawer in a cabinet.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Steve View Post
I installed this begining of this season. It fits like a glove and has alot of storage. Attachment 150059
LOL the way these campers are built you are likely to wake up wearing that for a hat

Seriously though pretty cool addition. Is it fire resistant?

Old 08-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Steve View Post
I installed this begining of this season. It fits like a glove and has alot of storage. Attachment 150059
Yep; that is the one I was talking about.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
Wait till you get bit by a zombie then see who's crying.
Seriously! Don't these people watch Walking Dead??

Old 08-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
LOL the way these campers are built you are likely to wake up wearing that for a hat

Most, if not all, of these small item safes are not fire resistant.
Having said that a liner made of 1/2 inch "fire rock" (fire resistant sheet rock), could give the contents some degree of fire resistance.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epat View Post
One would have to have something worth stealing. Luckily, I don't.
X2, I started with nothing and I still have most of it left...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 08-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #34

Quote:

I would say fire resistant not proof as it is not insulated like the big expensive safes. One thing i didnt like was the door was loose when closed. I went to lowes and got 1/4 inch rubber weather striping and installed in door channel on the lock side and now door is tight with no shake.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
As a matter of fact......

Just ordered these from Cabelas, on sale for $119 (US)

Stack-On Personal Fire-Resistant E-Lock Safe : Cabela's

Waiting for free delivery to store for pick up in a few days. Or they will ship.

These can be secured from the back or bottom and small enough to fit in a cabinet.

That's the exact one I have. Bought it many years ago. I can only remember replacing the battery's in it once.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #36

I have two, one bolted between the cabinets by the coach door and one bolted to the floor under the lower drawer in the slide (Can't be seen unless drawer unlatched and pulled part way out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gun safe.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	150063   Click image for larger version

Name:	gun safe 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	150064  
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 08-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #37

Hi,

For the most part, safes of these types are only good for keeping honest people honest.

Once a dishonest person is inside, even a modest pry bar will dislodge them for carrying away. And of course, the fact you have one at all signals where the valuables are.

Having said that, the best ideas here seem to me to involve camouflage and clever concealment.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 08-29-2017, 03:59 PM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
I agree. I don't believe the average person has enough natural ability to handle a firearm in a situation where it would be required. Police train extensively to learn how to react to violent occurences, how could an untrained individual cope?

Let's just say, that little ole me....without any training, beat a police officer in a shooting contest on multiple occasions. First, I beat him weekly in our lunch competitions, we like to call "Big Buck Hunter". Of course he scoffed at my gaming skills and said it wasn't "real".

Well, later, we were at a vendor event at a gun club, shooting clays, rabbits, doubles...13 different stations in the back woods. I came out the victor there as well. So I seemed to cope OK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final-os-42-rendering2-final_whtbcksmall.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	150065  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 08-29-2017, 04:13 PM   #39

Quote:

Difference of opinion. Some of us train diligently to protect ourselves and in the U.S. it is a right guaranteed by Our Constitution.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 08-29-2017, 04:14 PM   #40
King of the Road

Quote:

As we say down here in the Land of the Free, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.....

And as an FYI, I agree an untrained individual with a gun could be a problem. So can a kid driving a car that hasn't taken driving lessons. There are laws requiring both to have training.

Maybe I should cancel the insurance on my house. It's never burned down and probably won't. I'm not in a flood zone, so I should be good without it.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Closed Thread