Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2024, 11:55 AM   #1

Exhaust pipe?

Just curious and have a question about the exhaust.

I have seen other rigs, including the same exact Europa that I have that have an exhaust pipe that runs back and discharges out the right side by the rear tires.

Mine has no pipe. It simply has a dump pipe right at the back of the after treatment module that dumps the exhaust right out the bottom middle of the vehicle. I have also seen other rigs with the same floor plan built the same.

Is there a reason some don't have the exhaust pipe and should there have been one installed?
Europa32KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 01:04 PM   #2

I don't have experience with this issue. However, I would be concerned about exhaust not being piped out to the edge of the body. Commercial vehicles using that chassis do not have living space over the exhaust tip and are typically higher, allowing more air flow to dissipate the exhaust when sitting in traffic or otherwise idling.
Tlmgcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 01:07 PM   #3
Commercial Member

They all come with an exhaust pipe from Freightliner. What is the last (6) of the VIN?

That is dangerous and should be correct immediately.

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 03:35 PM   #4

Interesting. When I was looking at them at MHSRV before I bought this one all the ones I looked at were like this without the pipe out the side.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:42 PM   #5
Commercial Member

can you post a picture of what you are talking about?

Old 06-13-2024, 04:02 PM   #6

There is a diffuser tip on it which leads me to believe it came from the chassis builder like this. I have seen others like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240613_205816650.MP.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	300935  
Old 06-13-2024, 04:12 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Well, that's not good. I have informed our guys as well as Freightliner. We'll see what we can find out and get it corrected ASAP.

And yes, the diffuser gives me the same impression.

Old 06-13-2024, 05:07 PM   #8

While this is clearly not the same problem as original poster, our XL's exhaust had all the U-bolts loose back when we got it and the exhaust rotated itself down and ended up being lower to the ground than even the stabilizer jacks. I noticed when we got it home and just rotated things into shape and cranked the bolts down. Not sure who's doing the exhaust modifications/extensions Brian, but they may need some talkin' to

Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:25 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Edit: I am now told that because it is a diesel, this is compliant. I was also told some OEM's leave theirs like this on all their stuff?? If it was not sealed properly, then CO2 detectors would be going off.

I am going to continue to gather info...but early feedback, is this is not as big of an issue as I would have thought. Learn something new every day.

Old 06-14-2024, 08:02 AM   #10

Ok thanks for the prompt reply.

I noticed this on pickup but since I have seen both configurations, I was just curious and figured it was the design. My reason for starting the post was out of curiosity since I have seen same year Europas with a full exhaust pipe and without.

At first it did give me pause but I climbed under and looked carefully and could not see anything close by that would be damaged by the hot exhaust. Maybe the batteries, since they are about abeam the exhaust, but they are over 2 feet away and there is a diffuser on the end so I figured it wouldn't get that hot.

It has the CO detector obviously and it has never alarmed.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:23 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa32KD View Post
Ok thanks for the prompt reply.

I noticed this on pickup but since I have seen both configurations, I was just curious and figured it was the design. My reason for starting the post was out of curiosity since I have seen same year Europas with a full exhaust pipe and without.

At first it did give me pause but I climbed under and looked carefully and could not see anything close by that would be damaged by the hot exhaust. Maybe the batteries, since they are about abeam the exhaust, but they are over 2 feet away and there is a diffuser on the end so I figured it wouldn't get that hot.

It has the CO detector obviously and it has never alarmed.
Good to hear. My primary concern was safety. I still think the perception is that it does not look right, so we'll have some sort of resolution for it. Just happy it can be something simple and not have to go through the formality of a recall.

Old 06-14-2024, 11:18 AM   #12
Retired

OP's setup with the defuser would actually be my preference. No exhaust pipe means one fewer item to worry about hitting/knocking off when boondocking down unimproved roads.
Tucson Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa32KD View Post
There is a diffuser tip on it which leads me to believe it came from the chassis builder like this. I have seen others like this.
It would interesting to see if there are any issues with heat build-up under the coach in the event of a parked regen.

The bracing under the storage bins caught my eye. Is the factory now installing that, or is it an owner modification.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:48 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by png31 View Post
The bracing under the storage bins caught my eye. Is the factory now installing that, or is it an owner modification.
We started adding at the factory.

Old 06-16-2024, 10:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Steve View Post
OP's setup with the defuser would actually be my preference. No exhaust pipe means one fewer item to worry about hitting/knocking off when boondocking down unimproved roads.
Mine was black but dinged up pretty good already and the chrome was showing through it. Seems like they don't remove or prep the chrome before spraying them black, which explains why the factory coating comes off so easily. I took it off, sandblasted it and then applied C-series Jet Black Cerakote to it. Looks brand new and much harder finish.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:51 AM   #16

Happy to see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We started adding at the factory.
So glad to hear this, I noticed my bins definitely needing that strapping before I sold my last coach.
JoshB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 05:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
So glad to hear this, I noticed my bins definitely needing that strapping before I sold my last coach.
For sure, ours doesn't have this and the bins all sagged pretty quickly, I ended up putting a 3/4" plywood sheet inside to help keep it flatter.
1998 Monaco Windsor 34PST
gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:18 PM   #18

Since the thread is officially hijacked, how are the new factory bin straps tied in? It is something that can be available to upfit?

My other thought is using unistrut and all thread, mine are substantially sagging and I would rather not put plywood inside for wash out reasons. The all thread would need holes in the square tubing which may be a pain to get up there and put washers and nuts on.

I also noticed the chassis builder doesn't like to paint stuff you can't see while standing, I will also convert the rust and paint where necessary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240618_180109.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	301102   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240618_175916.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	301103  
malmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:47 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Factory is welded in, but there are a few threads on here how others have done it with threaded rods and angle.

Old 06-22-2024, 10:10 PM   #20

My version, In did the 3 worst ones today. 3/4" deep superstrut, 24" x 1/2" all thread, top nuts with red locktite and lockwasher above the steel tube, nut cinched up below the tube. Fender washers any nylocks below the strut. Drilling above your face with cuttings going down your sleeves, priceless. 100% better though.

Exhaust tip content, hard to work around the side pipe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240622_195831.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	301243   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240622_123754.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	301244   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240622_123740.jpg
Views:	15