Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2023, 12:45 PM   #1

Extending Slides what should be on?

Just did a walkthrough for our Europa 31ss and the tech told us that to operate the slides the engine had to be running, they wouldn't work on shore power or generator, I think I heard that somewhere else as well, but can't find that reference. It seems counter intuitive to me since it seems like if you have power you should be good. I think they also said you should have the levelers down first, so is it

1) Engine Off
2) Level
3) Engine On
4) Deploy Slides

thanks!
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Just did a walkthrough for our Europa 31ss and the tech told us that to operate the slides the engine had to be running, they wouldn't work on shore power or generator, I think I heard that somewhere else as well, but can't find that reference. It seems counter intuitive to me since it seems like if you have power you should be good. I think they also said you should have the levelers down first, so is it

1) Engine Off
2) Level
3) Engine On
4) Deploy Slides

thanks!
I think you got it down pretty good. We dont have a driving RV but have traveled over 27 states and east coast twice now, have seen and meet people with driving ones, and what we saw, they do what you mentioned from steps 1-4.
2015 RAM 2500 HD 4x4 4DR 6.7L Diesel

jimspencer741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post

1) Engine Off
2) Level
3) Engine On
4) Deploy Slides

thanks!
If it's the same as the Force...
1) Engine key position off
2) Generator on or shore power
3) Level
4) Engine key position on
5) Extend slides

I don't think alternator power is considered completely reliable for slides and levelers.
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:33 PM   #4

Exclamation

BUT - in my coach, the slides won't budge at all if the engine is running or even if the key is in the "on" position. My old class C was the same way. All depends on how your particular rig is set up.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:40 PM   #5

Our procedure on Isata 5 30FW:

1) Engine Off
2) Level
3) Engine On with RPM at 1100 via cruise control set to hold RPM level
4) Deploy Slides

The reason for the 1100 RPM is to get the slide motors operating with 14.1V alternator output. We operate the slide via the Firefly APP, and while sitting in the cap pressing the accelerator slightly and or use cruise control.

You might want to read the sticky forum post for the slide operation and or trouble shooting. Lots of great learning info to be found to avoid operator errors.
msusslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:41 PM   #6
Commercial Member

The leveling jacks are 12V so will operate off of the house batteries. We recommend extending the leveling jacks prior to running the slides to ensure the rig is level during slide operation.

While certain models in the past have had slide out operation locked out with engine running, that is no longer the case. To help ensure against any low voltage issues with the house batteries, we recommend having the engine running, generator running, OR connection to shore power prior to operating the slides.
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
JGraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGraber View Post
The leveling jacks are 12V so will operate off of the house batteries. We recommend extending the leveling jacks prior to running the slides to ensure the rig is level during slide operation.

While certain models in the past have had slide out operation locked out with engine running, that is no longer the case. To help ensure against any low voltage issues with the house batteries, we recommend having the engine running, generator running, OR connection to shore power prior to operating the slides.

^^This is how our 2021 XL is setup. The tech was obviously misinformed.

1. Engine off
2. Level
3. Operator choice:
A. Connect to shore power, ignition on but engine not cranked
B. Generator on, ignition on but engine not cranked
C. Engine cranked
4. Extend slides
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGraber View Post

Okay so I'm hearing to extend/retract the slides you want to either have the engine on, the shore power 50 AMP connected, or the Generator running, that is more in line with what I've seen in other rigs (although we could usually do it with full batteries in our previous rigs without a problem it seems that is not the case on the Dynamax, which is good to know).
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:46 PM   #9

We have an Europa and have never run the slides in or out with the engine running. We either have the generator on or we are connected to shore power, then with the ignition key turned one click to the right, not the left and not all the way to the right to engage the starter, we engage the slides. That said, our slides will go in and out with just the ignition key turned one click to the right. We just (accidentally) did this last month while on vacation in Florida. While the 50 amp cord was physically connected to the shore power pedestal, I forgot to turn the breakers on. We have since added this step to the checklist so we don't do it again.
AZFoxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:51 PM   #10

slide motors , stabilizers or levelers are all powered by the battery

The reason behind running motor or generator especially during boondocking....
is to make sure you don't drain the house batteries ... too much
Saving all those good electrons for the important stuff ... keeping beer cold

If boondocking ... no shore power let the motor /generator run a bit longer after slides jacks are deployed, making sure you get as many of those electrons back as possible.

BUT be warned... don't setup in a crowded campground at 2am.... if possible
Old 01-04-2023, 10:20 PM   #11

The alternator running boosts your battery voltage up and makes the slides operate a lot easier, these things take some juice. The leveling jacks will also not operate with the ignition on, doesn't matter if the engine is running or not.

MoJoe is spot on and matches the process(es) you should follow. If anyone in here is commenting and does not have a Dynamax super-c, I realize they're trying to help, but they are likely throwing false info out there..

Thanks,
Jim
CyberShanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:34 AM   #12

Re: operating levelers off house batteries.

The levelers are typically connected to the truck batteries, not the house batteries. This is for safety - if there is power to start the engine, there is also power for the jacks not retracted with engine on alarm to sound.

Same logic why the steps are also typically connected to truck power.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Strict rules and procedures are not there to protect the "knowledgeable", but the "unknowledgeable".

A full battery "would" be just fine....but we could not depend on all owners to actually verify what that meant. Too MANY think a battery with 12V's is perfectly fine (and not 50% depleted as the knowledgeable would point out)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:17 AM   #14

Slides and Engine Running

We have a 2021 Isata 5 36DS and our slides will not operate if the engine isn’t running (or starter in “run” position). It actually says that on the bottom of the screen on the Precision Plex and that’s what we were also told during our walk thru. Levelers go down first (engine off) (they won’t operate with engine on). Once level, the engine goes on, we operate the slides, engine gets turned off once slides are in or out, then we hook up to shore power or turn on gen if Boondocking.
HappyCamperI536DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:18 AM   #15
Norwood Auto Italia

Note that the slide motors put a significant load on the battery so that's the reason for needing shore, generator or alternator support. But these are of little benefit if the voltage drop from slide operation lowers the voltage to the slide motors into the low 12 or sub 12 region. So many of us increase the Float charge rate on the Firefly before hitting the slide switch, to 14V or 14.4 for LiPo, wait 30 seconds for this to take effect and then operate the slides. Returning the charge rate in Float to the normal 13.6 or 13.8 immediately thereafter.

The slide motors will not see 14v because of the power losses in the system and their effective voltage will not drop below 12.5.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:25 AM   #16

Extending Slides what should be on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamperI536DS View Post
We have a 2021 Isata 5 36DS and our slides will not operate if the engine isn’t running (or starter in “run” position). It actually says that on the bottom of the screen on the Precision Plex and that’s what we were also told during our walk thru. Levelers go down first (engine off) (they won’t operate with engine on). Once level, the engine goes on, we operate the slides, engine gets turned off once slides are in or out, then we hook up to shore power or turn on gen if Boondocking.

Just to clarify, the engine does not have to be “running” if connected to shore power or the generator is running.
The ignition just must be in the “ON” position, regardless. If not connected to shore power or the generator is not running then the engine must be or should be “running”.

See my post #7 above.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #17

As a general rule if your slides don't work with nothing more than your house batteries, then it's time to do a draw test on your batteries.
BPFox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoe1003 View Post
Just to clarify, the engine does not have to be “running” if connected to shore power or the generator is running.
The ignition just must be in the “ON” position, regardless. If not connected to shore power or the generator is not running then the engine must be or should be “running”.

See my post #7 above.
Well, we level and put slides out with the key in the off position. Same with our previous Force. Here's our process:

Line up in site.
Check level with manual level tool.
Engine off and key in off position
Plug into shore power or generator on
Level either automatically or manually
Slides out.

Never had to have key in "on" position.
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC70 View Post
Well, we level and put slides out with the key in the off position. Same with our previous Force. Here's our process:

Line up in site.

Engine off and key in off position

Plug into shore power or generator on

Level either automatically or manually

Slides out.

Never had to have key in "on" position.

The slides in my 2018 worked without the key on like yours. My 2021 requires the key to be on for the two front slides but not for the bedroom slide. Not sure exactly when Dynamax made the change but I thought it was prior to the 2021 model year. Yours must have slipped through without the ignition interlock.
Old 01-14-2023, 02:25 PM   #20

Could be. Ours got caught in the middle of COVID and all the supply chain issues. Sat on Dynamax's lot for about 4 months after mostly complete waiting for remaining parts (awnings). Took 11 months from time of order to get to the dealer. Maybe production process was somewhat interrupted.
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slides