Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

Exterior Lights switch blows fuse every time on I5?

Everytime I try to turn on the Exterior Lights via the switch by the door or PP panel it blows the 7.5 amp fuse.

I imagine there's a short somewhere, and would be happy to try and trace but if this is a familiar problem to someone else and can't point me to the likely cause, I would appreciate any tips as to where to start.

The exterior lights worked when I got the coach but have not since it came back from the dealer.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Hmmmmm

Take it back?
You said it yourself....used to work before the dealer got his hands on it.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Hmmmmm

Take it back?
You said it yourself....used to work before the dealer got his hands on it.
Not an option ATM. On the road camping for the next several weeks.

Besides, we just got it back from the dealer who I would rather not deal with again and I prefer to fix things myself when I can.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 06-16-2020, 05:44 PM   #4

Highly likely the issue is at the light fixture itself above the door. You can pull the fixture and see if there is an exposed wire. It’s fairly easy to remove, just don’t know if there is a gasket or if you need to reseal with silicone.

I agree with you, much prefer to fix things myself if within my capability. I have yet to go back to a dealer with my first or second Dynamax over 3+ years of ownership.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

What was this fantastic dealer supposedly doing for you other than making your light inoperable?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #6

I pulled both fixtures - the illuminated Dynamax handle and the overhead exterior LED strip light. With both fixtures removed and wire ends capped, the fuse still blows, so it does not appear to be the lights.

I also pulled the switch panel by the door and that just has two data cables running to it.

Any other thoughts on this? Any other lights? Any help would be appreciated.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 06-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #7

Since the fuse doesn’t blow until you turn the switch, the short has to be in the switch itself for downstream of the switch. I would check the switch next.

Very surprised it wasn’t the light fixture. Electrical stuff is a nightmare, sorry for your troubles.
milkman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
Commercial Member

But the switch is a multiplex switch....so power does not come from the switch,it comes from the main board, the switch just tells it to engage power.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #9

Fuse mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
What was this fantastic dealer supposedly doing for you other than making your light inoperable?

This is in the right direction. What was dealer working on that may have caused your NEW problem????

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #10

The dealer should not have been doing any work that would have affected anything on the 'Ext. Lights' fuse circuit.

I was simply stating it worked before it went in. Then sat there for 3 months under executive order as a non-essential business closure. Now it does not work. My intent was not to accuse the dealer of any mishandling. It would be easy to blame the dealer for this but if I can fix it myself – I would like to try.

The fixtures seem to be fine. The wiring does not, I'm just not sure what correct measures I can take at this point.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
Old 06-18-2020, 03:03 PM   #11

fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
The dealer should not have been doing any work that would have affected anything on the 'Ext. Lights' fuse circuit.

I was simply stating it worked before it went in. Then sat there for 3 months under executive order as a non-essential business closure. Now it does not work. My intent was not to accuse the dealer of any mishandling. It would be easy to blame the dealer for this but if I can fix it myself – I would like to try.

The fixtures seem to be fine. The wiring does not, I'm just not sure what correct measures I can take at this point.

Not accusing dealer of anything. Just trying to find out if he was working anywhere CLOSE to the light or switch. Maby a scew just a little too long or in the wrong place. Hope you get it fixed. Always earier with COMPLETE information

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Not accusing dealer of anything. Just trying to find out if he was working anywhere CLOSE to the light or switch. Maby a scew just a little too long or in the wrong place. Hope you get it fixed. Always earier with COMPLETE information

Thanks. Hoping I can figure it out on this trip so I can avoid going back to dealer when we return.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4

Tags
exterior, fuse, light, switch