Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #1

External Grab Bar/Rail Not Lighting on DX3

Arrived late at campsite and noticed the Grab Bar will not come on. Did a quick check of the PrecisionPlex fuse and that was good.

Didn’t have time to dig into it since it was late, but was wondering if anyone has had this issue and could give insight. Is there a replaceable bulb? Or is there more to it?
Old 10-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Mine lights up only with the porch light.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #3

Mine wasn't lighting either at one point, so here's a thread I posted on removal, diagnosis and fix. I hope it helps. Andy

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ht-164564.html
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #4

Mine was wired backwards. Never worked until I switched the wires.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #5

Let me know if yours is broken, as I have a new one in the box I'll sell you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grab handle.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	217836  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #6

Thanks All!

Good insight from all the post’rs. Mine worked at one time (I think) but never used because did not want to chum up bugs at the door....humm...is there a color that does not attack bugs...need to noodle on that one some more. But with colder weather upon me I thought it might be nice to night-light-it-up...hence the post. I have a switch so sure it is suppose to light up.

Did see where you could custom order a handle with different txt on it....that might be cool....

Anyway, I will get around to it in a couple of days and let you know what I find. Right now enroute to FL to care for a 100+ year old live oak that is shedding limbs. Still pretty buggy there so not real high on priority...but on the radar. It just bugs me having things that suppose to work that don’t.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchn2go View Post
Good insight from all the post’rs. Mine worked at one time (I think) but never used because did not want to chum up bugs at the door....humm...is there a color that does not attack bugs...need to noodle on that one some more. But with colder weather upon me I thought it might be nice to night-light-it-up...hence the post. I have a switch so sure it is suppose to light up.

Did see where you could custom order a handle with different txt on it....that might be cool....

Anyway, I will get around to it in a couple of days and let you know what I find. Right now enroute to FL to care for a 100+ year old live oak that is shedding limbs. Still pretty buggy there so not real high on priority...but on the radar. It just bugs me having things that suppose to work that don’t.
From our experience with a RGB led awning light, the red light draws the least amount of bugs. I have no scientific data to back me up...just my experience.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz01 View Post
Mine wasn't lighting either at one point, so here's a thread I posted on removal, diagnosis and fix. I hope it helps. Andy

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ht-164564.html
Finally got around to checking this out and Shultz01 was correct on the malfunction of the seal at the top screw. When I took this off, a bunch of water dumped out from inside handle. In fact, my pics looked almost the same as his. Also, thanks for heads-up on the replacement part in your post!

Questions for Shultz01: Has the replacement part held up since repair/reseal? Did you chalk or use a gasket when remounting handgrip?

FACTORY: A close examination of the silicone/gasket interface at the top screw (holding the black tube insert) shows that the type silicone being used is NOT adhering to the white gasket material or more likely, the silicone is drying before handle is secured to rig. Either way it is providing the pathway for water.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6951 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	218813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6953 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	218814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6960 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	218815  
Old 11-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchn2go View Post
Questions for Shultz01: Has the replacement part held up since repair/reseal? Did you chalk or use a gasket when remounting handgrip?
Glad to help. Yes, the new one has help up nicely now that it is resealed. I reused the original gasket after repositioning it back on the handle, but I flipped the metal brackets so that the better gasket is on the top and repaired the gasket for what is now the bottom bracket.
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
Commercial Member

I looked at that this morning...I don't think the issue is the silicone drying. We actually fill the hole BEFORE hand, so that if the handle does leak, water can't leak INTO the coach.

I think the issue is that they put a module with wire in the top of the handle...that module eats up a good portion of the gasket and they cut it to accommodate that part (which is not that great and leaves a VERY small section at the top. If you look at the bottom gasket...it has a small hole as well, but not big enough for the electronics module.

1. I would just put a bead of sealer over the top of the handle to be safe.
2. We have asked the supplier to come in. It would really be better if they flipped the handle upside down, wire from the bottom AND use a gasket without a hole. Right now, the wiring us UP...if water gets in then it runs along the wire onto the light module that is near the acrylic down below. IF they turned the handle upside down, then the better (larger) gasket is at the top and the "sliver" is at the bottom. IF it leaks then, water would have to flow UPHILL to get to the light module...and if the "sliver" breaks/leaks, then it just becomes a weep hole.

the issue is, they engrave Dynamax on the handle. So we have no choice but to install it that way. We'll go ahead and help them fix their product design.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I looked at that this morning...I don't think the issue is the silicone drying. We actually fill the hole BEFORE hand, so that if the handle does leak, water can't leak INTO the coach.

I think the issue is that they put a module with wire in the top of the handle...that module eats up a good portion of the gasket and they cut it to accommodate that part (which is not that great and leaves a VERY small section at the top. If you look at the bottom gasket...it has a small hole as well, but not big enough for the electronics module.

1. I would just put a bead of sealer over the top of the handle to be safe.
2. We have asked the supplier to come in. It would really be better if they flipped the handle upside down, wire from the bottom AND use a gasket without a hole. Right now, the wiring us UP...if water gets in then it runs along the wire onto the light module that is near the acrylic down below. IF they turned the handle upside down, then the better (larger) gasket is at the top and the "sliver" is at the bottom. IF it leaks then, water would have to flow UPHILL to get to the light module...and if the "sliver" breaks/leaks, then it just becomes a weep hole.

the issue is, they engrave Dynamax on the handle. So we have no choice but to install it that way. We'll go ahead and help them fix their product design.
Thanks Brian, hopefully this feedback from owners helps improve the product.

I thought about this more overnight and think I may just make a “pancake” of plumbers putty over the wall area where the top rail installs. When the grab handle screws down, it will “seat” into that putty and then the excess will easily squeeze out & trim/peal off the outside of the handle. This should also make it easier to remove handle in the future to replace the bulb. (Silicone is good and would work but it can be messy and a pain when trying to remove).

Also, I may also break the bottom seal to create a “weep hole” as an additional precaution.

Once I get the replacement bulb, I will post the putty idea if it seems to work.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #12

When did they start putting light up hand rails on their coaches? Our 2016 DX3 doesn't have this option. The grab handle on the outside and the one right inside the door looks like it should light up. I even unbolted them and took them off, there are no wires running to it.. There aren't even any holes drilled in the side of the coach that a wire would run through..

2016 Dynamax DX3 37BH
2015 Jeep JKU
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #13
Commercial Member

I think we started the outside around 2017-ish, but I know we had some supply shortages for a while? The inside was not designed to be lit up...we bought those non lit, so you could have the outside ON, but not have a bright light on the inside. However, everyone expected it to be lit up and complained...then we ran out of non-lit handles, and substituted the wired ones so we could keep shipping (but did not have wires running to them), but then customers would complain and turn it into warranty, dealers would pull them off, see the wires, wire them to the outside wires and then bill us...for a light that was not supposed to light up.

So this year I told them to light the inside one as well as a running change and be done with it once and for all....until someone complains about the inside light...then, pray for the safety of those handles.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:26 AM   #14

Our 2016 Isata 3 has the light up handle, and I didn’t think it worked either. As mentioned above, it’s on the switch for the porch light. The porch light is so bright that it over powers the handle. Folks on the forum here helped me figure it out. Obviously you had a different issue, but if it’s like ours, don’t expect to see it very well.

Tim
TnT33618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtad View Post
When did they start putting light up hand rails on their coaches? Our 2016 DX3 doesn't have this option. The grab handle on the outside and the one right inside the door looks like it should light up. I even unbolted them and took them off, there are no wires running to it.. There aren't even any holes drilled in the side of the coach that a wire would run through..

Jtad- did you find out if there is a light module that can be added or look into putting a whole new lighted handle on yours - I am considering either chasing a mod or a new handle and wiring it in.?

Bclemons - I have read your responses - sometime I think it’s crazy the suppliers to not even be aware of the installation and long term use requirements of there product - always amazes Me - must be really frustrating to you and your team !🤣
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT33618 View Post
Our 2016 Isata 3 has the light up handle, and I didn’t think it worked either. As mentioned above, it’s on the switch for the porch light. The porch light is so bright that it over powers the handle. Folks on the forum here helped me figure it out. Obviously you had a different issue, but if it’s like ours, don’t expect to see it very well.

Tim
I have a separate switches for the porch and the handle, so I think they are independent on the DX3.

I noted that the reflector on the stock LED is a black plastic but the replacement LED reflector is silver which should increase the brightness in the tube. Plus, I went with the “cool blue” so it will be interesting to see what that looks like. The only colors I’ve found are the patriotic red, white, & blue as has been posted (is that just marketing???)...strange that they would not make a bug-light-yellow LED....again, maybe marketing just says NO!

I will post results once I get it installed.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #17

Jpheifer I haven't looked into it yet i have been swamped with work and when not doing that on the road in the coach.. But I will at some point.. Both handles I have inside and out have fiber optic looking stuff inside so it should be easy enough to do.

2016 Dynamax DX3 37BH
2015 Jeep JKU
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpheifer View Post
Jtad- did you find out if there is a light module that can be added or look into putting a whole new lighted handle on yours - I am considering either chasing a mod or a new handle and wiring it in.?

Bclemons - I have read your responses - sometime I think it’s crazy the suppliers to not even be aware of the installation and long term use requirements of there product - always amazes Me - must be really frustrating to you and your team !🤣
As long as they respond, I'm ok with it. Its the ones that act like they are never wrong are the ones that frustrate me.

I can't be too hard on them...because some times you don't know what you don't know until you have thousands of people use them in a thousand different ways.

That was the beauty of handling one of the largest rental accounts in North America when I was at Sunseeker (and not so beauty)...you found out MUCH, MUCH quicker what would and would't work.

Even then...as we got better at "predicting" failure...we were still wrong sometimes. I can tell you ALL day long to use the small fork for dessert and sometimes you still grab the large one. Same thing with RV's....I can tell you what to do and not do...but not everyone listens so we learn from that too.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #19

Got this fixed and thought I would share pics for those interested in the replacement.

The replacement LED came with a black standoff over the circuit board (to stabilize the DC power leads and protect circuit board) that was not needed so that had to be removed. Carefully nipped a slot to make a channel for the wires to slide out so new circuit board could be connected to old tube insert.

Decided to seal it with some plumbers putty since it will make it easier to pull off if I need to replace the LED again. Putty was easy to work with and excess pealed off easily but I will have to monitor to see if it maintains a good seal over time.

The LED with the silver reflector seems to really light up the handle well. The porch light does not wash it out as some were concerned about, but that may be due to increased intensity of silver reflector over the stock black one.

I like the blue. The cost with shipping was $14.67.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6456EB25-E69A-4255-BD6A-3A89A53D96A6.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	219076   Click image for larger version

Name:	0A2424BD-61A0-4B4E-8828-C96F1494EF60.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	219078   Click image for larger version

Name:	6C4FB87B-CF62-461F-951B-531D3B2B1FA4.jpeg
Views:	55