Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #1

Factory delays

We ordered a DX3 in the first half of September from our local dealer. The delivery time frame given at the time was March. Today I stopped by the dealer to inquire about progress. They tell me now the delivery time is June.
As you might expect, the delay will be interfering with our summer plans.
Can anyone identify the reason(s) that we now have an additional 3 month delay? What do we know now that we didn't know in September? The dealer has no answer to that question.
We realize that we have a pandemic and it is difficult to get supplies. We just would like to know more details. Thanks.
steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
Norwood Auto Italia

The delays have been discussed on this and other forums quite extensively.

Unless you are living in a vacuum, the entire industrial supply chain has fallen apart as a result of the pandemic and the escalation of demand in some sectors. RVs are definitely experiencing both. Elkhart, Indiana is a hot spot for the covid virus (not surprisingly given the close proximity that most workers have to experience to their colleagues); and the very low volumes that the industry had previously needed of many product types have in some cases doubled or even tripled. The industry simply does not have the access to alternatives or leverage to change their priority of supply.

And then there are the proxy issues. The vaccine has combined with the demand for new household appliances to create a national shortage of compressors for refrigerators as well as control boards, insulation, door seals and the like. Forest River and Dynamax have no leverage to raise their priority. These supplier like many other supply chains, has participants that have no way to forecast how and when the products on back order will be delivered. In Aerospace for example, I am seeing parts that were on a 12 week supply base in January 2019, are now back ordered 3 years because the suppliers have simply folded and shut down.

So your purchase was late in the process which started in March. June sounds reasonable but with shipping delays in LAX (ex China) and an unsatisfied demand by the whole industry, could delay delivery further. Be prepared to change your Summer plans, or purchase a Used model and wait for the rush to subside in 2022/3.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Commercial Member

The other thing that we see at the factory VERY often, is a dealer will call up and ask for a lead time. So his sales rep might look at the production schedule and see how far out we are scheduled and say "we are scheduled out to Feb right now, so best case scenario we might be able to squeeze you in around March." So the dealer calls the customer back and says...March.

Well, two things are an issue here.
1. We only schedule out as far as we "Have To". meaning, we do not schedule orders in the order in which they are received nor do we schedule 100% of our orders. Because one dealer might put in 100 orders and if we just placed those 100 orders, no one else would get anything and then any retail might wait over a year. So we try to be fair and we have sales reps that have regions and we allocate production slots to those regions a week at a time.

2. There is no way to know how many orders were placed ahead of that one...so March was not considering the 20 other retails that came in before.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:45 AM   #4

Ha we are on day 201 waiting Ordered first week of October 2020. It’s been 6 months,
. I just wish someone would be honest. We have been promised for 2 months now.
Grinder12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #5

As said discussed a lot in other threads.

Contrary to popular belief, the economy is booming right now, more than ive ever seen. Supply chains are being squeezed to the max. Trucking company's that i work with say they are moving more loads than they can ever remember. Motorcycle/ATV dealers are sold out of most models till the winter and have empty showrooms. Everything is moving so fast no one can keep up!

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
Ha we are on day 201 waiting Ordered first week of October 2020. It’s been 6 months,
. I just wish someone would be honest. We have been promised for 2 months now.
I am 100% sure everyone is being honest on our/dealer end with what we know. What is the name on the order? I can tell you what we know.

I have this conversation on a daily basis. I came unglued on a supplier for backorders dating to Oct 2020, they assured me they would take care of it. We needed 90 parts to clean up the units sitting at month end. They tell me they will ship them Tues-Wed of that week. So we tell customers that?

Tues comes...nothing shows up, I call, no response. Wednesday comes, we get about 40 of the parts. We assume we get the rest on Thurs, no big deal. Thursday comes, we get 15 more parts and then nothing for two more weeks and we're still not caught up with them.

"Unprecedented" has been used over and over but I am still not sure we grasp the magnitude. Texas freeze shut down chemicals, so adhesives are short, there is a global foam shortage affecting furniture and mattresses. Labor shortages are shutting down out suppliers. The beat goes on.

So what do we tell customers when the information we get is not reliable?

I have a bad motor in an awning (DOA)...there are none to be had. I would put a whole new awning on, I don't have those. I check ebay, Amazon, dealers...all sold out.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I am 100% sure everyone is being honest on our/dealer end with what we know. What is the name on the order? I can tell you what we know.

I have this conversation on a daily basis. I came unglued on a supplier for backorders dating to Oct 2020, they assured me they would take care of it. We needed 90 parts to clean up the units sitting at month end. They tell me they will ship them Tues-Wed of that week. So we tell customers that?

Tues comes...nothing shows up, I call, no response. Wednesday comes, we get about 40 of the parts. We assume we get the rest on Thurs, no big deal. Thursday comes, we get 15 more parts and then nothing for two more weeks and we're still not caught up with them.

"Unprecedented" has been used over and over but I am still not sure we grasp the magnitude. Texas freeze shut down chemicals, so adhesives are short, there is a global foam shortage affecting furniture and mattresses. Labor shortages are shutting down out suppliers. The beat goes on.

So what do we tell customers when the information we get is not reliable?

I have a bad motor in an awning (DOA)...there are none to be had. I would put a whole new awning on, I don't have those. I check ebay, Amazon, dealers...all sold out.
bclemens sent a PM - - YUP - when I spoke to our dealer it was the same - he said it was ready to ship (3 weeks ago). We canceled one reservation and are HOPING we can have it by June 6th our 25th wedding anniversary with 2 other pop up campers families (they have theirs LOL)

TOTALLY 100% understand the frustration from dealers as they want to get paid also!

sigh - I THOUGHT a 6 month leeway was good enough LOL
Old 05-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
bclemens sent a PM - - YUP - when I spoke to our dealer it was the same - he said it was ready to ship (3 weeks ago). We canceled one reservation and are HOPING we can have it by June 6th our 25th wedding anniversary with 2 other pop up campers families (they have theirs LOL)

TOTALLY 100% understand the frustration from dealers as they want to get paid also!

sigh - I THOUGHT a 6 month leeway was good enough LOL
Gotcha...and sorry, I don't really have access to Rockwood, or any towable for that matter, I only handle the FR motorized side.

But I do know insulation was a major discussion...global shortage. Several plants were shut down due to nothing in stock. They were looking at 9 different alternatives, but no one could meet the demand.

Old 05-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #9

OH - did not see this was on the motorhome thread - my bad.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #10
Norwood Auto Italia

And then there are the chassis. Based on comments this morning from Intel, the global chip shortage will impact all users for the next 2 years. It takes $10B plus and 3 years to build a chip plant (aka a "Fab") and that's after the 2 or 3 years it takes to get approval. We are heading for a global shortage of new vehicles and especially electrical/hybrids whose volume and applications are still quite small. To say nothing about aerospace which may be shut down on entirely in certain sectors.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:33 PM   #11

This is a good thing for owners. I see right now used coach prices are so high the value of all of our current coach’s have skyrocketed.

My DX3 isn’t for sale (well, for the right price it is) and still I was offered $20k over what I paid for it by a random couple. Crazy.

—john
Old 05-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
We ordered a DX3 in the first half of September from our local dealer. The delivery time frame given at the time was March. Today I stopped by the dealer to inquire about progress. They tell me now the delivery time is June.
As you might expect, the delay will be interfering with our summer plans.
Can anyone identify the reason(s) that we now have an additional 3 month delay? What do we know now that we didn't know in September? The dealer has no answer to that question.
We realize that we have a pandemic and it is difficult to get supplies. We just would like to know more details. Thanks.

Well, I cannot provide you with definite answers, but I can share that we too ordered a Dynaquest in the first week of September. I think Dynamax is being as honest as they can be given that they too do not know what is going to happen to their supply streams. I"m told delivery is hoped for May. But I will not be at all surprised that May will turn into July. We have cancelled all our plans. In fact, we had hoped to leave for Yellowstone today. All campgrounds cancelled.

What I am certain of is that supply chains world-wide have been decimated and it is going to take some time to re-build them. Also, I've heard from many that there is more demand for motorhomes than there ever has been.

Here in NH we have a 100,000 seating capacity NASCAR track that is full of new Ford trucks because Ford cannot get microchips needed to complete those trucks. So they sit. If the highly automated auto industry cannot get parts needed to complete their vehicles, then an industry like the motorhome business is going to be really up against it.

So, my advice, for what its worth, is to grin and bear it. Dynamax is a good company. I'm sure we will both eventually receive quality coaches.

Good luck.
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:39 PM   #13

Well, there is the other option. Buy your way to get in sooner. My friend always says, “if you got the coin there’s a way”.

We have had customers call for parts (UTV and off road parts) that we simply are out of stock as well as the MFG being out of stock. One customer in particular said “I don’t care what it costs I want the part next week.”

I called the MFG. the part normally costs $99. I told them I’ll give them $500 for one. The part was at my office and in the customers hand 2 days later. They took the one off their floor display to send me.

With the current supply chain and COVID situations if you want to get something now, it’s Definatly possible, you just have to pay a premium price for it.

Now on a ordered DX3 you have already ironed out the price and ordered it, so you most likely aren’t willing to do that. But I can guarantee you, throw enough $ at it and it will be ready in a month. Most likely you don’t want to do that, but that’s how things are working these days.

—john
Old 06-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #14
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
Well, there is the other option. Buy your way to get in sooner. My friend always says, “if you got the coin there’s a way”.

We have had customers call for parts (UTV and off road parts) that we simply are out of stock as well as the MFG being out of stock. One customer in particular said “I don’t care what it costs I want the part next week.”

I called the MFG. the part normally costs $99. I told them I’ll give them $500 for one. The part was at my office and in the customers hand 2 days later. They took the one off their floor display to send me.

With the current supply chain and COVID situations if you want to get something now, it’s Definatly possible, you just have to pay a premium price for it.

Now on a ordered DX3 you have already ironed out the price and ordered it, so you most likely aren’t willing to do that. But I can guarantee you, throw enough $ at it and it will be ready in a month. Most likely you don’t want to do that, but that’s how things are working these days.

—john
I have no doubt that one can scrape the barrel to get a part or product by throwing money at it but these opportunities are a function of the seller's ability and willingness to be a trader. Few are set up or even allowed to do that because of internal or legal restrictions. If you go to a car dealer and try to force the issue by paying over list, the dealer will struggle to accommodate you although I concede that many have and will. They have explicit limits in their supply agreements and they have to trust the customer not to make a public issue of what they did.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #15

Well said. Here in Colorado at least you will not find a dealer selling any pickup at MSRP. Everything is thousands over. From what I’m told, Ford at least, does not set any limits at what a dealer can sell at.

As it should be. Dealers and business’s should be able to get as much as possible, it’s the basis of the economy, supply and demand.

—john

Tags
factory