Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #1
Norwood Auto Italia

Firefly problem - informal survey? Isata 5

I am working with Firefly to identify a problem source that I have read about on this forum.

The Heat Pump/AC's will start up and remain On even though the ambient temperature is well below the setting on the Firefly screen AND the Cool button is Grey and Fan is set to Auto. I have seen the reverse with the Heat function. No amount of cycling the Cool or Heat buttons or the fan switch will stop the unit from running for sometimes an hour or more. Thereupon it returns to normal. I have not been able to provoke the event and it has happened at 2 locations - always on 30 A shore power. I have some theories. This has occurred 3 times on my unit.

I am trying to estimate the number of people that have encountered this and their coach generation to see if its something in the Firefly coding or a response to something external.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:15 PM   #2

vlamgat,

I'm unsure if this is related to your issue but I want to see if other folks notice this as well:

I noticed that if I turn on the AC or Heat Pump from the iPhone app, they will stay 'on' well beyond the desired set temperature. What's interesting, is when you hit the up or down arrows for selecting temperature in the app, for a very split second you can see a different number appear/disappear. It's as if the app isn't controlling the correct set value and is relaying a different value to the Firefly. Therefore, the unit runs far longer than what it should.

DK
Old 05-26-2022, 04:37 AM   #3

My condition is that the app always starts at 71 degrees not matter what the actual firefly says. It appears that it doesn't actually get the reading from the firefly. So if the firefly says 65 and I change the app from 71 to 76, it will actually only be 70. I also have an issue if I click on Auto on the app. Crazy things happen at that point. No good answer from Firefly at this point.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:34 AM   #4
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboadm View Post
My condition is that the app always starts at 71 degrees not matter what the actual firefly says. It appears that it doesn't actually get the reading from the firefly. So if the firefly says 65 and I change the app from 71 to 76, it will actually only be 70. I also have an issue if I click on Auto on the app. Crazy things happen at that point. No good answer from Firefly at this point.
Have you removed the app and reinstalled? This has cured a number of faults.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Have you removed the app and reinstalled? This has cure a number of faults.
yup. I loaded it on 4 different devices (ios and android)
Old 05-26-2022, 07:42 AM   #6
Norwood Auto Italia

Seems to me there is something wrong in your Firmware - did you ask Firefly for a replacement file? Something is messaging your app with bad data as soon as you log in and that can only come from your Firefly master.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:02 AM   #7

They haven't been very responsive. They keep saying its a app issue and they are working on it.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #8

Vlamgat
I had this issue occur to me once or twice and I identified that it was a "disconnect" between controlling the AC via the panel and via the App. IIRC, I turned it on via the app from my house to precool here in AZ, went in later to do some school work, then shut it off at the panel. The panel was greyed out, like it should be and I left the RV.
As a general rule the AC in the best of situations will continue to run for a few minutes until the system is no longer cold, so even though the unit was still "running" it didnt raise an alarm. Some time later I went outside and realized it was still running and went back to the RV to investigate. As a result of poking around, I realized that once I turned the AC off, just as I turned it on, via the App.....it shut down properly.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #9
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboadm View Post
They haven't been very responsive. They keep saying its a app issue and they are working on it.
The app is not considered a priority at Firefly because its so dependent on multiple protocols from 3rd parties. Protocols that make the use of the app clumsy and somewhat complex. Useful for certain things especially elements that need to be accessed from outside. It has a wow factor but its practicality will take time and some evolution in WiFi security before it replicates the switches its purports to represent.

I am sure they will get there but its will take time.