Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #1

Firefly switch panel quagmire

I have a firefly switch panel in the wet bay that is having 2 issues.

1: It constantly says weak signal even though Iíve switched out the battery twice and re-paired it. When I bring it into the cab itís fine.

2: The really weird part. The porch light, cargo light, Gen start, water pump buttons donít operate anything. When I press the Gen stop button the cargo lights come on, press awning button and the porch light comes on.

I couldnít find anything about assigning buttons in the manual. Anyone had an issue like this? If so what was the fix?

Thanks all.
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:39 AM   #2
Steve & Linda M.

We have the same problem. It appears to be related to the specific location of the panel.

I haven't had the opportunity to address the problem, yet. But if you remove the panel and hold it almost anywhere else in the wet bay, it will work. I just have to find a convenient location where to remount the wireless switch.

Then seal off the hole left after removing the panel from it's original location.
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Another RV learning experience with our 2022 34KD Force.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:47 PM   #3

I have had the same low battery switch fault on the wet bay (and bed front to a lesser degree) switch panel since day 1. I changed the battery a few times before I realized it wasn't the battery. I contacted Firefly and they said it is due to blockage of the signal from the wireless switch to the receiver which is by the LCD, not the G12 unit under the bed (which is close to the wet bay). I even asked if I could purchase a hard-wired switch to fix the issue but they are not available.

I would suggest to Dynamax that they spec out hardwired switches to the wet bay and bed front for future units to eliminate this problem. I don't see myself walking around with the switch panel in my hand anyway and don't need it to be wireless. I have the iPhone App for that when needed.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:46 AM   #4
Commercial Member

I have seen this on several units and frankly ignored it as I never use them.

I think I was just going to tell engineering to eliminate that switch plate as we have hard switches for what we really need (macerator & light), all the others can be app controlled.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:40 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Engineering says that you may have inadvertently gotten a 7 or 8 button switch when you should only have a 3 button bay switch.

Cargo light, water pump, security light.

(We're also not wireless so you can walk around with it. We are wireless so we can make changes without needing to have an entire electrical harness redesigned for a small switch change)

Edit: they confirmed that all units with the bay switch have been changed over ot the 3 button. If you have a bigger switch panel there and its working, great. If you have a 6-7 button and its not....it should likely have a 3 button instead. You can reach out to service to see about correcting that.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 09-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #6

Thanks Brian. It is a 7 button switch. I was wondering why I would ever want to control the awning from the wet bay 🤣

Iíll reach out to service and see about getting it swapped for a 3 button so the buttons control the correct operations.
ablarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:47 AM   #7
Steve & Linda M.

I'll have to check on how many buttons my switch panel has. I did remove it and it works well outside of the wet bay. The app control is, currently, not an option with the Force models. Unless the App was recently released with updates for the Force (latest release on the Android Play store is v. 2.15.5.3 from Sept. 16, 2022).
Started in the "Pumpkin" '79 Burnt Orange Dodge "Street Van" ... NW cruise, Canadian Rockies, Round trip to Alaska. Then' 94 Tioga Montara, '06 Jayco Jay Flight 5th Wheel. Workmanship decline started : '15 Thor Siesta & '17 Tiffin Breeze.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
(We're also not wireless so you can walk around with it. We are wireless so we can make changes without needing to have an entire electrical harness redesigned for a small switch change)
Another suggestion would be to ask if Firefly can add a receiver point to the G12 unit so the signal doesn't have as far to travel. Just trying to come up with a solution to the problem.

Trying to think of solutions, I even looked into hardwired CR3032 coin battery replacements as a possibility but at $100 it's a bit expensive.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #9
Steve & Linda M.

I don't believe the distance is the real issue. But couldn't say for sure. In a 34KD the bedroom wireless switch is not much closer, the one near the vanity. I would be more inclined to say it had to do with the structure of the wet bay.

Anyway, I checked and our wireless switch is the 3 button variety. Which would tend to disprove the 7 button panel was the cause of the problem since our unit has the same fault, even after a battery change.

Pardon the dust in the picture. The switch has been laying on my tool box for a couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220924_111800.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	279634  
Old 09-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
I don't believe the distance is the real issue. But couldn't say for sure. In a 34KD the bedroom wireless switch is not much closer, the one near the vanity. I would be more inclined to say it had to do with the structure of the wet bay.
I spoke to Firefly directly and they said the issue is interference between the switch and the receiver. They also said the receiver is in the LCD panel by the door.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:25 AM   #11
Steve & Linda M.

They didn't define Interference, did they ? That could mean a number of variables and also a combination of variables.
Old 09-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #12

They said the physical structures between the switch and the receiver were blocking the signal. As you said, the physical structure of the wet bay, or metal panels, is contributing to signal degradation.
Old 09-24-2022, 12:48 PM   #13
Steve & Linda M.

OK. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:19 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
Anyway, I checked and our wireless switch is the 3 button variety. Which would tend to disprove the 7 button panel was the cause of the problem since our unit has the same fault, even after a battery change.

Pardon the dust in the picture. The switch has been laying on my tool box for a couple of weeks.
I did not say the 7-8 button switch was the cause of the interference...but that it was the cause of buttons not working. (it should only have three buttons, the other buttons will not work)

Old 09-25-2022, 06:05 PM   #15
Steve & Linda M.

Mea Culpa

Mea Culpa

Mea Maxima Culpa

Tags
panel, switch