Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #1

Firefly: The Exterior thermistor invalid reading FAULT

I’m getting a consistent Network Diagnostics fault in Firefly on my 2021 ISATA5 28ss: “The Exterior thermistor has an invalid reading.” This is causing issues when I turn on the A/C Cooling for AirCon1 (Front). The A/C works for a few seconds and then the following “AIRCON 1 FAULTS” to happen when cold air stops blowing from unit:

Freeze Sensor = Red
Coil Freeze = Red

A/C unit still blows warm air but the above faults appear to be shutting down cold air process.

Firefly v4.9
Coleman-Mach 15 Heat Pump model# 48004-669
Old 04-11-2021, 11:33 PM   #2

Not sure if it's directly related by i have experienced it when bother external and wet bay sensors read higher than actual. I have read about others withe same problem
Old 04-12-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
Norwood Auto Italia

I believe this might be caused by the same PCB that some of us have had noise problems. It is the transmission board for the Firefly. I have not seen these faults as yet. If you search the Forum for the A/C noise thread, I posted a picture of the board. These can be replaced under warranty but you have to work through an Airxcel dealer who is required by Airxcel to fill a Fault Claim document with the factory before the claim can proceed. Last I heard they were in short supply and Airxcel are stating its a Dynamax problem but can be procured over the Internet for about $50. Probably needs an AC person to do the install but I will know more about this later this week.

My Airxcel dealer no longer want to handle my problem as they have been referred to Dynamax and as they are not a Dynamax dealer that's not going to work.

My Dynamax dealer will not answer their Service phone and only accept emails over their web site to which they do not respond. May take some trickery to work around this including some dirty tricks, but we shall see.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:54 AM   #4

Question:
- with the air conditioner turned off at firefly and idle for at least an hour
- go to setup / network diagnostics / air cons
- Are the indicators next to freeze sensor and coil freeze illuminated?

If the alarms are not illuminated with the AC off and at ambient temps, then it is probably a valid alarm, and need to follow troubleshooting for a freeze sensor problem. Some of those are that the sensor has fallen off the coils, blocked filters, operation in too cool temps, etc. Prolly some info in the HVAC forums.

If the freeze sensor alarms remain activated when the a/c has come to ambient temp, then it might be a problem with the sensor itself or firefly reading the sensor.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I believe this might be caused by the same PCB that some of us have had noise problems. It is the transmission board for the Firefly. I have not seen these faults as yet. If you search the Forum for the A/C noise thread, I posted a picture of the board...
Thanks @vlamgat! I've been following the other thread closely. Here's what I'm currently seeing in Firefly:

I have a list of stuff that I'm hoping can be fixed by my dealer or manufacturer. I expect I'll be fixing a lot of this myself by upgrading lower quality OEM parts.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Boat View Post
Question:
- with the air conditioner turned off at firefly and idle for at least an hour
- go to setup / network diagnostics / air cons
- Are the indicators next to freeze sensor and coil freeze illuminated?

If the alarms are not illuminated with the AC off and at ambient temps, then it is probably a valid alarm, and need to follow troubleshooting for a freeze sensor problem. Some of those are that the sensor has fallen off the coils, blocked filters, operation in too cool temps, etc. Prolly some info in the HVAC forums.

If the freeze sensor alarms remain activated when the a/c has come to ambient temp, then it might be a problem with the sensor itself or firefly reading the sensor.
Thanks @Desert Boat. I've done what you suggested already this weekend. After leaving the RV overnight, on Saturday I checked the Firefly screen and
The Exterior Thermistor fault is always on and flashes the red alert triangle in top of Firefly. Indicators next to Freeze Sensor and Coil Freeze are grey when I first set the thermostat to Cool for AIRCON 1. AIRCON 1 initially provides cool air and then Coil Freeze fault turns red followed by Freeze Sensor fault turning red.

I'm thinking I have a bad sensor somewhere that needs to be replaced either by dealer or by me.

Thanks again!

Tags
exterior