Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
Norwood Auto Italia

First Boon Dock weekend - odd experiences

Tooke delivery of my I-5 28SS in early February and immediately took it to a site that had power and water. Actually about the only one I ever use. After the punctuation caused by the Southern storms, I am now in the middle of my first boon dock weekend and have discovered the following.

1) I had read in a few strings that refuse to reappear without a boolean algorithm how difficult it was to get charge into the LiPo batteries via the generator alone. I started the night on the generator at 100% SOC and by 6 am with Inverter, propane valve, fridge, antennas and furnace cycles, the batteries were down to 18%. AGS did not kick in but was set up to do so. Restarted the generator and after 5 hours they were at 24% with no load. I even switched off the fridge and propane, no inverter, no lights, no antennas. I switched off the generator once the sun was overhead and an hour later the SOC was 100%. It stayed there until the sun became indirect even with inverter/fridge but no propane switch or antennas let alone furnace.

It seems the generator is capped at 20% charge rate. I have seen and changed the charge rate on another screen but cannot seem to get access to it. Its settable in the AGS menu but seemingly nowhere else?

I also seems that the battery set is hard pressed to get through a night with the inverter, fridge (dual power not residential) and furnace -is that the general experience with the Explorer set up?

2) When I departed my fluid levels were indicating zero of all fluids and a drop to 70% in the propane level despite the night before showing and verifying 70% fresh and 100% propane. When I got to the camp site, the correct readings were restored. However an hour later they reverted to zero fresh and 70% propane. I get that propane will never be 100% full unless the gauge is calibrated for that which I had assumed was the case. But the fresh water level should not vary like this unless there is a system fail.

I did all the reboots: both battery switches and solar charger three times with no success.

Interested in any perspectives especially the ones I have missed !

I am interested to get a sense of how reliable this Firefly tank sensor system really is? I have read of a few problems here but I had a firefly on my previous coach for 7 years with no problems whatsoever - so perhaps they have become "Chinafied" which is becoming a common problem in the electronics industry.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #2

WRT Xplorer solar package performance look at my previous thread.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=225379

2021 Xplorer Solar system settings and data discussion
Old 03-08-2021, 07:04 AM   #3
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
WRT Xplorer solar package performance look at my previous thread.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=225379

2021 Xplorer Solar system settings and data discussion
I remembered it but could not find it -thanks. Your latest post does confirm my second day in the boonies!

Direct sun after 9 AM until 3 PM is the charge time at this time of the year. YMMV depending on latitude.

The Inverter is the biggest power consumer of the potential parasites of gas, antennas, fridge (2 way), and furnace. So a night starting at 10 pm with LP fridge and furnace and beginning at 100% on the Victron in 45 ambient resulted in a decline to 91% - easily enough for the inverter to be used for appliances early in the morning. Charging with the inverter on, fridge and antennas only began after 10 and 100% was reached by 1 pm. No climate control needed.

All measured without any clouds and (probably lightly dusted solar panels) and again your overnight usage will vary if the temperature drop is steeper or less pronounced.

Conclusions: with care - very useable in day time clear weather. Problematic recharging even at night or to compensate for cloudy weather using the limited charge capacity of the generator at 20% probably requiring as others have noted, the use of the truck alternators.

We need that Firefly software change!
Old 03-08-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
Commercial Member

The Firefly software correction is done. They are testing it right now and it should just be as simple as plugging in a USB with the proper software update. As soon as we get written instructions and where you can get the file we will pass it on.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I remembered it but could not find it -thanks. Your latest post does confirm my second day in the boonies!

Direct sun after 9 AM until 3 PM is the charge time at this time of the year. YMMV depending on latitude.

The Inverter is the biggest power consumer of the potential parasites of gas, antennas, fridge (2 way), and furnace. So a night starting at 10 pm with LP fridge and furnace and beginning at 100% on the Victron in 45 ambient resulted in a decline to 91% - easily enough for the inverter to be used for appliances early in the morning. Charging with the inverter on, fridge and antennas only began after 10 and 100% was reached by 1 pm. No climate control needed.

All measured without any clouds and (probably lightly dusted solar panels) and again your overnight usage will vary if the temperature drop is steeper or less pronounced.

Conclusions: with care - very useable in day time clear weather. Problematic recharging even at night or to compensate for cloudy weather using the limited charge capacity of the generator at 20% probably requiring as others have noted, the use of the truck alternators.

We need that Firefly software change!
In my case, the Refrigerator is the main draw of power since I have a Residential fridge, but it was easily doable....here in AZ.

Having seen BC's note about the Firefly update for the Genny, I was wondering this morning what might be the more efficient method of charging the batteries from a fuel consumption perspective....the Genny w new charge profile or the RAM engine alternators???
Old 03-08-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
In my case, the Refrigerator is the main draw of power since I have a Residential fridge, but it was easily doable....here in AZ.

Having seen BC's note about the Firefly update for the Genny, I was wondering this morning what might be the more efficient method of charging the batteries from a fuel consumption perspective....the Genny w new charge profile or the RAM engine alternators???
Well, until the Firefly update "chassis engine" is the clear winner. After the update, I think you're splitting hairs. Genny would be the most convenient in my mind with AGS and/or app control.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well, until the Firefly update "chassis engine" is the clear winner. After the update, I think you're splitting hairs. Genny would be the most convenient in my mind with AGS and/or app control.
BClemens, no question that with Firefly working properly, Genny would be the most convenient. In Boondocking, if fuel is not close by, then knowing which method sips, as opposed to guzzles would be good to know. From what I have seen, depending on state of charge, the alternators can dump almost all their combined amperage toward the house batteries, which ought to be pretty efficient.

BTW, WRT the Lithium battery charge profile /algorithm in the Magnum, is this something that can be improved on via Firefly changes or is it specifically a Magnum hardware issue??
Old 03-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
BTW, WRT the Lithium battery charge profile /algorithm in the Magnum, is this something that can be improved on via Firefly changes or is it specifically a Magnum hardware issue??
Yes/no. IF the magnum is the "Hybrid" version, it has a lithium profile in it (I don't recall the part number designator). The Firefly update should then allow that profile through. If it does not, then the "custom" settings will accomplish about the same thing.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Yes/no. IF the magnum is the "Hybrid" version, it has a lithium profile in it (I don't recall the part number designator). The Firefly update should then allow that profile through. If it does not, then the "custom" settings will accomplish about the same thing.
Excellent, my 2021 appears to have the MS2812, which according to the Magnum site has the Li profiles
Old 03-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #10
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
BClemens, no question that with Firefly working properly, Genny would be the most convenient. In Boondocking, if fuel is not close by, then knowing which method sips, as opposed to guzzles would be good to know. From what I have seen, depending on state of charge, the alternators can dump almost all their combined amperage toward the house batteries, which ought to be pretty efficient.

And Ram is very ambivalent about how much idling they advise for these motors as they run so cool. One can/should speed up the idle for the best charge using the Cruise Control but other than sub teens I have heard mixed messages on this engine about prolonged idle.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #11

With all the emissions stuff I'd sure lean towards gen usage over chassis. Not just fuel costs in the end ...

In my experience the gen fuel consumption varies with load quite well. Especially at the lower levels. Id definitely say sip is a good description.