Old 08-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #1

First major trip with Force HD - Love it.

We just returned from a 4 week trip in our new-to-us 2018 Force HD (37TS model). All I can say is we "Love It". A few specific observations:

This baby drives like a dream. My previous 43 foot Class A Diesel Pusher did also, but I get a *lot* less tired driving the Force. Don't know exactly why that is, because they're both BIG beasts. But it definitely doesn't wipe me out so much. I typically prefer to drive 300 to 350 miles a day max. Yesterday I drove 400 miles non-stop in the Utah and Arizona heat. Though I was definitely happy when we got home, nothing major.

I'm liking the macerator. It takes considerably longer to work the black and grey tanks but it is less messy for sure. It *does* take extra effort to clear out the hose to the sewer line (as compared to the stinky slinkys I used to use). But no big deal. Just have to keep at it.

The shower leaked initially. But a quick chalk job took care of that.

I need to sort out the HDMI cables to the TV's because none of them seem to be working. Now that I'm home I'm going to be working on this. The cable/antenna worked fine. (Didn't try the Satellite on the roof because we don't have a Dish subscription right now.)

The toilet bowl doesn't always hold water. Sometimes it does and others times it empties out. Haven't quite figured out a pattern yet.

We dry camped a couple nights and the 8000 Onan Generator worked perfectly. Nice to know that is an option should we decide to go that route in the future. (We had never really tried in the Class A though I have no reason to think it wouldn't have been fine also).

One night when it rained we ended up with a good amount of water in one of the basement compartments. But on another more severe stormy, rainy day we had nothing. Odd. I haven't been on the roof yet to look around - no attached ladder on the Force HD - but I'll get up there now that I'm home and hose things down to see if i can figure out what's up with that.

The Force HD gets noticed and asked about *constantly*. People always stopped by to talk and ask about it. We marketed it for you well, Brian!

I ended up getting about 8+ miles per gallon on most legs of the 3000+ mile trip, which I'm *more* than happy with. It *did* slip to 6 MPG on one leg when we ended up on a 24 mile tough stretch up the mountains over mostly dirt and hard pack roads with some switch backs. The Force was working hard in lower gears on that stretch, but it made it up fine.

For the two of us, the Theater Seat floor plan with the permanent Bench Dinette is perfect. Everyone has their own preferences of course, but we really like this layout. We had an on demand hot water system on the Class A and we loved it. I was a little concerned we would not have enough hot water with the Tank system on the Force, but we never had an issue.

The Washer/Dryer units in the Force are actually better that the ones we have at home (though that says more about our home units). The Class A had WD units that were really tough to start. Wife had to finagle them for a long time to get the washer to start. No such issue on the Force. Work great!

The 2 A/C units sorta struggled to keep up in the July heat. If we didn't move much we were ok. We had 3 A/C's on the Class A and I know these are not residential type units. But a few less degrees inside would be nice. I think I'll have them looked at and preventive maintenance done, though I'm expecting it to be a case of "they're working like they are capable of".

All in all, moving from the Class A to the Force HD looks to be a great change for us. We're more than happy with the Force.

Bill
WrkdbfGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #2

Enjoyed your objective review.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #3

For the HDMI issue try pressing the reset button on the HDMI splitter. Mine stopped working the other day, so I assumed it went bad. I even power cycled it...still no good. Then I pressed the reset button and boom...tv was back.

John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndjmix View Post
For the HDMI issue try pressing the reset button on the HDMI splitter.
Where would the HDMI splitter be located? I haven't noticed one of those yet ... Bill
Old 08-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrkdbfGuy View Post
Where would the HDMI splitter be located? I haven't noticed one of those yet ... Bill
HDMI matrix did not get added until a month or so into the 2019 Model year.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well, that explains why I don't see one! I don't have one. Maybe someone can educate me on how the 2018 Force HD is HDMI wired for it's three TV's from the factory:

I have two (red) HDMI cables going to the main indoor TV. These cables go into a space behind the kitchen cabinets, but I cannot find the other ends. Up front, over cab, I have one (orange) HDMI but no other HDMI cables. The bedroom appears to have it's own HDMI cabling - independent of the rest of the coach. (???)

How is the Satellite system on the roof typically wired into the RV? HDMI? Coax? Or something else?

Bill
Old 08-03-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
Motorized GM

All satellites are coax from dish to "user supplied" receiver and then HDMI from receiver to TV.

There is no way to tell if the wiring is factory or has been modified, however, normally...

We do not provide the receiver, so we have a single in that area blank (kitchen cabinet or the cabinets up over the front bunk where a receiver will fit). That single is wired to a 1 in 4 out HDMI splitter, so that single then gets sent to the front TV, bedroom TV, Outside TV. The other red to the main TV should be from a dvd player? likely in that front entry cabinet.
Also, please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

Great write up. I have really enjoyed reading about other experiences.

I will likely upgrade amplifiers, speakers, sources and wires. If I do, I am happy to post everything I do.
DynaDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #9
Retired Army Paratrooper

toilet is no problem we had the same thing happen with us.
Rubber glove and some Vaseline will fix this problem. Put glove on (unless your brave) then press pedal to open toilet, take a small amount of Vaseline and rub it onto the rubber gasket at bottom of toilet and this should fix the water leaking out problem.
MasterBlaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:32 AM   #10

Quote:

If so desired, adding an HDMI matrix is easy to do. I added one to our 2018 XL so I could add my Apple TV into the mix.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #11

I am curious about the Matrix.

I added an HDMI switcher so I could add Apple TV as well as HDMI direct from laptop so we can review racecar data
DynaDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaDuo View Post
I am curious about the Matrix.

I added an HDMI switcher so I could add Apple TV as well as HDMI direct from laptop so we can review racecar data

I may have misspoke. I added an Omnigates HDMI Switch 3 in 1 out, 4K with IR remote. It allowed me to have the Apple TV, DVD player, and Dish box as inputs then the one output went to the original box that was supplied by Dynamax. Poor man’s workaround.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
toilet is no problem we had the same thing happen with us.
Rubber glove and some Vaseline will fix this problem. Put glove on (unless your brave) then press pedal to open toilet, take a small amount of Vaseline and rub it onto the rubber gasket at bottom of toilet and this should fix the water leaking out problem.
That's what I did to cure the problem but also found that letting the toilet slam shut does the same thing. Letting it close gently does not allow it to seal.
E T F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #14

My other trailer had the same issue with the toilet draining. WD40 Silicone spry solved it. no messy gloves and vasoline needed, just sprayed the ball well and worked it a few times with the water shut off until is moved freely, hasn't leaked down since. I think the RV Antifreeze was what caused the seals to harden, so I spray a liberal amount of silicone just before I winterize the lines.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E T F View Post
I also found that letting the toilet slam shut does the same thing. Letting it close gently does not allow it to seal.
I started doing that as well. It seems to work *most* of the time, but not all. It makes a heck of a racket when slamming it hard though. Kinda thinking that might break the mechanism eventually.

Bill
Old 08-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #16

Quote:
We have a single in that area blank (cabinet over the front bunk where a receiver will fit). That single is wired to a 1 in 4 out HDMI splitter, so that single then gets sent to the front TV, bedroom TV, Outside TV.
So I got to looking in detail at the HDMI setup. I pulled the top off the panel in the upper bunk area and found the 4/1 HDMI splitter and the various HDMI cables. The splitter is this model (on my 2018 Force HD anyway): https://www.fpmarine.com/Connex-HDMI...pl-104-v-r.htm

So I checked everything as well as I could and, basically, nothing works. I hooked my Roku (or Laptop) up to each individual HDMI cable and got no signals. The splitter may be bad but I can't quite tell if the power light on the splitter is lit up or not. But when I totally bypass the splitter by directly hooking up to any of the output HDMI cables I get no signals anywhere.

So I guess I'll have to resort to using shorter HDMI cables direct from my Roku to the TV I wish to watch at the moment. Sigh ...

Bill
Old 08-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrkdbfGuy View Post
The 4/1 HDMI splitter may be bad but I can't quite tell if the power light on the splitter is lit up or not. But when I totally bypass the splitter by directly hooking up to any of the output HDMI cables I get no signals anywhere.
Just for the heck of it, I unplugged the HDMI splitter and let it sit overnight. Powered it back up this morning and the splitter came right back up with lights and all! I now get signals at my TV's. Hallelujah.

I'm still not sure why bypassing the splitter the other day and hooking direct to any of the 4 output HDMI cables didn't work. But whatever. I have HDMI signals now!

Bill

PS: I lubed up the toilet seal with Vaseline as suggested. That seems to have helped. I *did* buy a replacement seal should I continue to get intermittent enpty toilet. (Leaving on another trip later this week.)
Old 08-25-2020, 03:19 AM   #18

Just press that reset button on the splitter with a paper clip, works for me every time!

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote