Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #1

Flagstaff, AZ to Granby,CO in Dynamax 30FW

My wife wants to go to the Dynamax gathering in Granby, CO the second weekend in September, but I am a bit wary of making such a long trip in the Rockies.
I have about 4000 miles under my belt with my 2021 30FW, but its primarily flat driving on freeways in AZ. I am concerned about the winding mountain roads.
Navigation software has me going from the west via 70 or from the Denver side. For those of you that have traveled to that area, I would appreciate suggestions and feedback. BTW, coming from Denver, one navigation app warned that there is a tunnel and to avoid that route, which I am pretty sure was 70.

After we are done in Granby, CO, we would like to head south and visit friends in Chama, NM, then head west and home again. Those prospective routes run through the top of the mountain ridge with few campground options...so thats another question of what's the best route???
FYI, I dont do more that 200-250 miles per day.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:10 PM   #2

I wouldn’t hesitate for a minute. With 4,000 miles under your belt you’ve got experience. And if it is a dynamax gathering all the other people going there will be taking similar routes and they don’t seem all that concerned. Take it slow and enjoy yourself!
Old 07-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
My wife wants to go to the Dynamax gathering in Granby, CO the second weekend in September, but I am a bit wary of making such a long trip in the Rockies.
I have about 4000 miles under my belt with my 2021 30FW, but its primarily flat driving on freeways in AZ. I am concerned about the winding mountain roads.
Navigation software has me going from the west via 70 or from the Denver side. For those of you that have traveled to that area, I would appreciate suggestions and feedback. BTW, coming from Denver, one navigation app warned that there is a tunnel and to avoid that route, which I am pretty sure was 70.

After we are done in Granby, CO, we would like to head south and visit friends in Chama, NM, then head west and home again. Those prospective routes run through the top of the mountain ridge with few campground options...so thats another question of what's the best route???
There are a few campgrounds around Walsenberg and Alamosa. The Great Sands Doons NP is close to Alamosa and I think has a couple camping areas. I love Chama, it’s one of my favorite places.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #4

How are you getting to I-70 from Flagstaff? The only really, really wild road (but very scenic) would be Durango to Ouray
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:

Coming from Denver on I70 is not an issue with the tunnel. I70 is a major commercial route so the tunnel will be plenty high enough for any Dynamax unit.
As for the mountain road from I70 to Winter Park/Granby you will be climbing and not very fast. (some of the turns are 15-25 mph.)

Just take your time and you will be fine. After 4K miles you should be getting quite comfortable with the rig.

See you at the gathering
Old 07-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmiken View Post
How are you getting to I-70 from Flagstaff? The only really, really wild road (but very scenic) would be Durango to Ouray
Im not sure....thats why I am asking for suggestions
Old 07-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
There are a few campgrounds around Walsenberg and Alamosa. The Great Sands Doons NP is close to Alamosa and I think has a couple camping areas. I love Chama, it’s one of my favorite places.
have you driven from Chama north into Colorado?? How is that road in terms of blind curves, climb rate etc.??
Old 07-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
have you driven from Chama north into Colorado?? How is that road in terms of blind curves, climb rate etc.??
159 north is a nice road. Scenic but not to aggressive. That will take you To 160 east to 25 north into Denver. You will have to go over La Veta pass on 160 but it’s an easy pull and no tight turns.

40 up to Granby looks like it might be a challenge but I’ve never gone that way.

17 north out of Alamosa to 285 might be a better route than 25 and 40. It goes up through Breckinridge and Vail then over to Granby. I’ve not traveled up that way either. If you use Google maps and turn on the terrain view you can see what your dealing with. It looks a lot less aggressive.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #9

4wheel should get in on this discussion. I think he runs up that way to ski.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #10

Get yourself a truckers atlas. You will have no issues on any road it says is OK. At least that has been my experience. I would take 285 north in NM to Alamosa then north from there according to the atlas. Nice KOA outside of Alamosa with beautiful mountain views.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:20 AM   #11

My suggestion would be even if you are not towing something, leave Tow/haul on so it gears down going down mountain passes. You should be fine. I've lived in Colorado my entire life. There are several ways you can go so if you have specific questions on the route you are taking, or how bad a mountain pass is, feel free to reach out to me. PM me. Corbin
Old 07-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #12

Keep an eye on the weather in the Glenwood Springs area just prior to leaving. I-70 has been closed several times recently due to mudslides in the burn-scar areas through Glenwood Canyon, sometimes for a day or more. You can avoid that issue by using US160/285 but that route does take you over Wolf Creek Pass...just keep your speed down on the descent.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #13

You don't go thru the tunnels if coming from Denver you cut off on 40 and thru Winter Park, Fraser and then Granby.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
You don't go thru the tunnels if coming from Denver you cut off on 40 and thru Winter Park, Fraser and then Granby.
looking on google maps that stretch of road seems to pretty curvy with lots of switchbacks and blind turns....is that correct??
Old 07-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #15

Quote:
looking on google maps that stretch of road seems to pretty curvy with lots of switchbacks and blind turns....is that correct??
I looked at 40 and it looked pretty curvy.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 07-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #16

It is somewhat but not to bad and most of it over the pass is four lane if you take it easy it's not to bad.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
It is somewhat but not to bad and most of it over the pass is four lane if you take it easy it's not to bad.
Heh...you should have seen US40 over Berthoud Pass in the 80s. It's a walk in the park now.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #18

Flagstaff to Granby? Ok, north on US 89 to US 160 to US 191. North to I-70 then east to Silverthorne. At Silverthorne, go north on Colorado 9 to US 40 then right on US 40 to Granby. As mentioned, keep an eye on I-70 between Vail and Copper Springs; Glenwood Canyon looks ok for now. This is probably the smoothest way to go to avoid a lot of winding roads. To go to Chama, backtrack to Silverthorne and I-70, go to Copper Springs and take Colorado 91 to Leadville, pick up US 24, go south through Buena Vista to US 285, continue south on US 285 to Colorado 17 to Alamosa. Go south on US 285 from Alamosa to Antonito CO and turn right onto Colorado 17 to Cumbres Pass then down into Chama on NM 17. There is one broad hairpin turn going down to Chama from Cumbres Pass but the grade is pretty nice and not very severe. Been over this route a few times and it was an easy passage.

Safe travels!
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #19
CA Happy Camper

My recent Colorado Adventure

Spent 5 weeks all over CO.
Georgetown V10 gasser 29' towing jeep Cherokee
7 mountain Passes, some more than once.

I avoided the million $ HY US550. Three passes over 10,000ft. while in Ouray one day, did see many RVs going both directions.

Most curvey pass: Douglas HY 139 Fruita to Dinosaur 8,288 ft

Worst road surface: I-070 downhill both sides of Eisenhower tunnel. Truck lane deep ruts from winter tires, hard to control RV.

The following passes were very manageable, just slow on the uphill for me.

Rabbit Ears East of Steamboat US40 9,426 ft
Monarch US0 Salida to Gunnison US50 11,312 ft
Freemont Pass HY91 11,318 ft (Alternate to Housier Pass HY9 from Breckenridge)
Wilkerson and Ute Pass less than 10,000ft US24 heading to Woodland Park, Pikes Peak area

Be aware US50 between Montrose and Gunnison is under construction with limited weekday passage hours.

Also, keep and eye on the weather in September. Can get snow at these high elevations.

Beautiful Country! Go for it
2017 Georgetown 270S
Toad: 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
scottrubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:03 PM   #20
The Driver

I looked at Google Maps and that has you going from Flagstaff via 89, 160, 191 to I70 then 131 at Wolcott to Kremmling then 40 to Granby. If my nav software had me going from Flagstaff to Granby via the Denver side, I would throw the software away!

Leaving out of Granby for Chama, I would backtrack to Kremmling take 9 to Silverthorne I70 to Wheeler Junction and 91 to Leadville. Then on to Buena Vista, Poncha Springs, Alamosa and Antonito. Then 17 to Chama.

No problems for me in the Colorado Rockies with a 30' V10 Class C with toad. I take my time and try not to do too much rubberneckin.

Colorado to me is kind of like voting. Go early and go often
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynamax, flagstaff