Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #1

Flat Towing

When I purchased my new-to-me DX3, I bought a very low mileage jeep with it. The DX3 pulls it nicely but I'm surprised but the amount of "bounce" I get when going over dips/bumps on the interstate (often at the start/end of bridges....where you see the tire marks from what I assume is tractor trailers).

Can anyone with a Force/DX3 comment on how much you feel your towed vehicle when you go over bumps? I guess I'm a little surprised by how much it impacts the ride given the size of each vehicle (of course in fairness, the jeep is still 4-5k so its meaningful). I also wonder if the long overhang on the DX3's to moved around a bit more......

I'm using a Roadmaster Falcon offload tower....
WanderingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

We have a DX3 & tow a Silverado 1500 4x4 using a predecessor to the Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar. The only time I notice the truck back there is when we go over a significant bump (i.e. bridge transition) at speed and it feels like a momentary jerk. A couple years ago I went thru a large intersection where the intersecting road had a large crown to it, & I didn't see it wasn't flat until I was right on it. The coach bounced pretty good & there was a good jerk from the truck. Other than that incident, most bumps are hardly noticeable.
Silver Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #3

We tow a 4 door JK, i am not sure I have ever felt it. I have a Blue Ox 10,000 bar, used to tow a 4 door ram before.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 PM   #4

You'll notice it more depending on how much play is in your setup as well. I had a reducer and then a 8" riser and then the tow bar and I could definitely feel it tug on starts and stops as well as bumps.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingPhoto View Post
When I purchased my new-to-me DX3, I bought a very low mileage jeep with it. The DX3 pulls it nicely but I'm surprised but the amount of "bounce" I get when going over dips/bumps on the interstate (often at the start/end of bridges....where you see the tire marks from what I assume is tractor trailers).

Can anyone with a Force/DX3 comment on how much you feel your towed vehicle when you go over bumps? I guess I'm a little surprised by how much it impacts the ride given the size of each vehicle (of course in fairness, the jeep is still 4-5k so its meaningful). I also wonder if the long overhang on the DX3's to moved around a bit more......

I'm using a Roadmaster Falcon offload tower....
I use several of these on my hitch parts to eliminate any movement of the stinger or the Roadmaster hitch. They really take the loose play out of all the various pieces and parts back there. There are many hitch clamps out there but over the years I've gravitated to this design as it is the strongest, you can get it very tight and it does not losen up over time like some of the other models.
Comes in different sizes to match different stingers and such:

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5002...a-693753947949
Days camped 2021 = 25
caseymyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
You'll notice it more depending on how much play is in your setup as well. I had a reducer and then a 8" riser and then the tow bar and I could definitely feel it tug on starts and stops as well as bumps.
This is exactly my setup. Maybe that's what's causing it. Its definitely more than I was expecting (in fairness though, I expected not to be able to feel it almost at all).

I ordered a couple of the Roadmaster quiet hitch adapters, hoping that helps.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing I can do for the 3" to 2" adapter to take the small amount of play out of that?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
This is exactly my setup. Maybe that's what's causing it. Its definitely more than I was expecting (in fairness though, I expected not to be able to feel it almost at all).

As far as I can tell, there is nothing I can do for the 3" to 2" adapter to take the small amount of play out of that?
You can (I have) drill a hole on the top or bottom of the receiver and weld a large nut on there. Then use a large bolt to take the loose out by tightening the bolt onto the sleeve. If you add all all the little wiggles it amounts to probably inches of travel back there and a wiggling mess. When I'm done with my rig set up there is no movement at all back there except where there is a ball or a swivel.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 08-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #8

Our flat tow set-up has a drop-hitch as well and I noticed the same thing you did. Plus, I could actually hear the 'bangs' through the coach as we went over bumps and stuff. Adding the anti-rattle/hitch tightener devices made all the difference. I REALLY like these units as they are super heavy duty compared to the stamped steel parts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71o-JqLoc5L._SL1440_.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	212938  
Old 08-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Our flat tow set-up has a drop-hitch as well and I noticed the same thing you did. Plus, I could actually hear the 'bangs' through the coach as we went over bumps and stuff. Adding the anti-rattle/hitch tightener devices made all the difference. I REALLY like these units as they are super heavy duty compared to the stamped steel parts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I tried that version. They will bend and loosen. So I migrated to the heavy black units, they seem to be stronger and don't work loose.
Days camped 2021 = 25
Old 08-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #10

I didn't like the dual ball mount that came with my DX3 because it was long & the lower ball was very close to the pavement. I modified a std 2" ball mount so it fits in the 3" Super Titan receiver & it has relatively little play so I don't feel much movement from the toad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190820_170401.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	213001  
Silver Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #11

My plan was to just make a new riser with a piece of 3" tube to act as the adapter as well. Havent gotten around to it yet though as I'm trailering for the foreseeable future.

Quote:

Old 08-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #12

One other idea I did have is to buy a GenY adapter. You can get that in 3” with up to a 12” rise. That would serve as both the 3” to 2” AND raise the hitch (taking one connection out of the mix). They are also rated for for some crazy amount (32k lbs I think). Any thoughts?
Old 08-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #13

Yeah I recall seeing those. $$$$$$$ was what deterred me, but definitely think it'd work to help cut down on some of the slop. They look like nice beefy hitches.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #14

I do not feel anything towing our 2 door Wrangler. About 4,100 lbs. I do not have a drop hitch and use a Roadmaster tow bar. jc
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing