Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #1

For BC: Who decides interior design?

For years, my wife and I have looked at RVs at shows, dealers lots, and in campgrounds all over the US and Canada. One of the topics we keep coming back to when seeing new RVs is, who decides on the colors, patterns, fabrics, cabinet wood stains etc. in RVs? An RV is, by definition, a small, narrow space regardless of the length of the RV.

So, why do interior designers insist on dark-colored woodwork and cabinets; black vinyl upholstery; dark gray, fake-wood plank flooring, etc., that have the effect of making that small space look smaller, not larger? Why do they also insist on side valances on windows that take up more of that limited space? And why do we have so many God-awful fabric patterns on valances, bedspreads, chair upholstery, and dinette seats?

I don't like Airstreams because they are too heavy for their length and do not have slides. But they do one thing well--use colors and materials that brighten the space that they do have, so the occupants don't feel claustrophobic. I have been in huge Mobile Suites fiver's that felt smaller inside than an Airstream because they had dark cherry cabinets and black leatherette furniture. No amount of LED ceiling lighting and light strips can lighten a dark, gloomy RV interior. And even big picture windows don't help at night!

How many people in North America have oak wood floors compared to the number with gray barnwood plank floors? Why do RV interior designers think that everyone wants barnwood? Because gray is the latest fad color scheme from the New York-Paris designers who set all the trends? In five years, no one will want a used RV with "gray everything" in the interior. It is just the latest designer fad.

Just thinking out loud here!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #2

I noticed at shows this year the colors seem to be getting lighter. To the point I think they may be going to far the other way. My thought has always been it is a camper out in the forest, darker will show less dirt/wear over time. I think our Hemisphere is fine. There are plenty of windows to brighten the inside. For color we achieve that with decorative items; pillows, placemats, small appliances, etc.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Every OEM has their person that handles that. Some women, some men, some old, some young.

I'm not sure that "everyone" has dark wood, etc. All our furniture is solid colors. We do have some pattern on the valances, but not much.

Our Delta dust is pretty light. As for colors...colors can be polarizing. So most people stick pretty neutral because, you, the customer can add all the color you want in pillows and bedspreads, wall hangings, etc. If you do green and people hate green, then you limit your buyers. Some people hate blue.

As for us, I don't think we have any furniture in black vinyl.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #4

A lot of it is varied personal preference I think. Dynamax does a decent job offering a pretty wide variety.

I personally dont understand the light/white colors in an RV. Impossible to keep clean. Especially with dogs in the mix.

We went the opposite direction with espresso cabinets and grey fabrics. Best part is it looks more like a condo than an RV in our opinion.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #5
Erinn

Gotta agree w/some others here; darker colors generally don't show wear as quickly. Our new Sunseeker has light gray flooring; shows very little dirt & we love it... As far as the window valances go, I gotta agree w/YOU - somewhat unnecessary, & we wish they came in "plainer" color options (versus the somewhat "wild" designs currently offered), but this is something very low cost to replace if you don't like them; very little fabric. IF you end up w/the blackout shades & wild valances, I've attached small pieces of Velcro to the back sides of our valances, then "stuck" them to the walls; really helps keep them, in place - they don't get caught when you pull shades up or down. Hope this helps...
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #6

Back in the day in a non-RV industry, we would have a design review of a product. No one person decides a product. We got input from many participants. (not very efficient though) Sometimes it was the person with the loudest voice. But usually the way to go became clear. But the Product Manager made the final decision. The GM was the Peace Keeper.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote