Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #1

Force Air Brakes ...

I've become suspicious that I may have an Air Brake issue on my 2018 Force HD. I just don't feel all that comfortable when I brake. I seem to really have to lay on them more than I would expect to get slowed down.

It may just be me as my last Coach was a larger Class A and it braked really well. Am I overthinking this and being overly critical of the brakes? Any other Force HD owners want to please let me know what yours feels like?

Thanks, Bill
WrkdbfGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:04 AM   #2

our 2018 HD stops on a dime (well a big dime), we have been cut off multiple time and can get stopped comfortably. I would take it to Freightliner to have it checked out to be safe.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #3

I have the same chassis as yours. When hard breaking I have to push hard, but it stops. Leave a little bit more room behind the ahead vehicle. I rarely have to brake hard. It's just when a traffic light changes on a highway.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #4

I would take it to Freightliner and have it checked.

When was the last time you inspected your brakes? Should be done before each usage and daily when traveling. Self adjust air brakes do not always adjust by themselves.

The control arm should travel no more then 1 inch when brakes are applied. Takes two to correctly verify a self adjust air brake system. Older non self adjust is easier to check but then you have to know how to adjust.

Take it to Freightliner or a commercial truck shop and have it checked.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
jkoenig24

"Leave a little bit more room behind the ahead vehicle."

That would be great advice IF there weren't SO many Ahole motorists who will "fill in the space" you create. Do you get an airhorn on a Force model?
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:50 PM   #6

Force air brakes

Right after I took possession, new, of my 2015 Force 37BH, I had a brake issue similar to yours. There is an equalization valve right under the brake pedal; it was malfunctioning. It’s purpose is to equalize pressure in the brake lines as brake pedal pressure is applied. The length of the air lines requires this valve to work so that equal air pressure arrives at all four wheels at the same time. Braking, until the valve was replaced, was somewhat compromised and uneven. This malfunctioning valve made a hissing/squeaking/squealing noise when stepping on the pedal. Not sure if this valve is your issue but agree that Freightliner should look at it right away.My 2015 stops right now if I have to...one can usually smell the hot brakes shortly thereafter but the stopping power of the rv is excellent.
Jetjockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjockey6 View Post
Right after I took possession, new, of my 2015 Force 37BH, I had a brake issue similar to yours. There is an equalization valve right under the brake pedal; it was malfunctioning. It’s purpose is to equalize pressure in the brake lines as brake pedal pressure is applied. The length of the air lines requires this valve to work so that equal air pressure arrives at all four wheels at the same time. Braking, until the valve was replaced, was somewhat compromised and uneven. This malfunctioning valve made a hissing/squeaking/squealing noise when stepping on the pedal. Not sure if this valve is your issue but agree that Freightliner should look at it right away.My 2015 stops right now if I have to...one can usually smell the hot brakes shortly thereafter but the stopping power of the rv is excellent.

I always keep an eye on the air pressure, and my Force HD stops as I would expect. I wouldn’t take any chances, and suggest you take yours to Freightliner just to be safe.
Cactus Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes