Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #1

Force Cabover Squeaking

I have an annoying squeaking noise in the cabover right above the drivers seat in my 2015 Force. It is coming from where the cabover sits on top of the truck cap. I can push up or pull down on the cabover/bunk frame and get it to stop, but starts up as soon as I release it. I can feel the cabover section moving slightly back and forth as the truck transitions over rough patches in the road. I would assume there has to be a little motion. Is there a way to lubricate the area where they come together to rid myself of the noise? I don't want to pull the rubber gasket out to try to lubricate as I am afraid it might stretch and not reinstall properly. I had considered removing the center plate (where people mount CB's and engine monitors) and trying to access the area from the backside. Any thoughts from you Dynamax experts?
Cyberdyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
Commercial Member

This has been corrected before...They took the panels off that cover the transition. I don't recall who, but you might be able to search this forum for "squeak" and "cab over". Or whoever did it will come along and maybe post a link.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #3

Smile Thanks BC

I'll give it a try. By the way sir, you are one of the reasons I bought a Dynamax (besides the fact that it is probably the best built motorhome I have ever seen). So nice to have someone from the manufacturer to give you advice and knows most of the work arounds. Dynamax all the way for us.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Commercial Member

well...I know I remembered it. There might be more, but this was the MOST involved one. You might be able to correct it without this much deconstruction, but at least it shows what's in there.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ox-144012.html

Edit: sorry, I thought that was a lot of tearing apart. It starts with a Forester that was taken apart as an example. The Force starts around post #14.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

Thank you sir. Have a great Holiday Season !!!
Old 12-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #6

I had the same issue with my 2018 37TS. Remove the transition panels on both sides, undo the screws that hold the platform to the frame work around the walk-thru opening. There is a flat metal framework in there that the plywood rests against that is causing the squeak. I cut some strips of adhesive felt that I had, pryed up on the plywood enough to get the strips layed in and stuck to the metal framework running forward and across towards the outside wall and the squeak is now permanetly gone. Now if i could just get the coach door to stop. It is fine when it is warm outside, but in the cold it is brutal. Have adjusted to the max and still squeaks.
M T Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #7

Have the same annoying. Issues on our 2020 XL 37RB - cabover and door. The wife is about to stop traveling. Can this issue be addressed under warranty Mr. Clemens?
Old 12-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBurn View Post
Have the same annoying. Issues on our 2020 XL 37RB - cabover and door. The wife is about to stop traveling. Can this issue be addressed under warranty Mr. Clemens?
I don't have the cab over, but the door squeak has been a issue with me.
I have tried everything until someone told me to do this, and it has worked
each and every time.

I spray WD-40 into the top opening that is for the main door handle
and also in the bottom opening where the red handle is before each trip.

It works for me and I have been doing it for the last two years. Try it and see
if it works for you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	220544  
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #9

I have both issues on my ‘18 XL. The door is the worst of the two. It makes a racket so loud and annoying even radio volume can’t cover it up. When it is cold mine gets worse as well. I’m going to try the WD-40 in the lock and see if it works. I believe it is the rubber door seal gasket that presses against the metal door frame causing the problem. When underway my wife can pull inwards on the door handle and the squeak goes away. I have adjusted the striker as much as possible at this point, but to no avail.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #10

We have covered the strike with black tape, that helped for a little while. Covered the door seal with a molycoat rubber grease, that helped. But the squeak always returns. I have not tried the wd40 so that is the next step.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #11

If you're talking about the coach door squeeking , I had that issue too, but I did finally fix it.

On the door frame there are little round rubber bumpers that mount with a screw. I got several more of those from parts and installed them. I adjusted the door bolt to close the door as tightly as possible, still too loose. I ground out 1/8 inch of the door bolt holes so I could move the bolt further inwards. The door closes tightly now and no more squeeks. I do occasionally get some rattles if the sun shade on the door window is left down, raising it fixes it. The rig is now the quietest rig I've ever owned when going down the road.
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #12

I thought about grinding the hole but was unsure of what was inside the door frame when I completely removed the screws. Did not want something inside the frame dropping away, and then have nothing to put the screws back into. Does your unit have the Challenger door in it as mine does?
Old 12-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T Pockets View Post
I thought about grinding the hole but was unsure of what was inside the door frame when I completely removed the screws. Did not want something inside the frame dropping away, and then have nothing to put the screws back into. Does your unit have the Challenger door in it as mine does?
I had the same concern on mine. In case the nut the bolt screws into wasn't captive, I stuck a small screw driver through an existing hole below it. Turns out the nut would wiggle a little but not fall down.

I have no idea if you have the same door, though I can't imagine them being too much different even if they aren't the same brand.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #14

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselBurn View Post
Depends. They will normally allow a little time in the first 90 days to make adjustments...but there are so many variables involved. Some squeaks and rattles just need lubrication and that is typically not a warrantable item...but again, in the first 90 days they give some leeway.

As an example...there was one on the 5 series a while back. People were trying to tear apart the cab over or door and in the end it was the back up camera rubbing on the rear view mirror. 12 cents of foam tape solved the issue. Sometimes its as simple as the door not closing tight.

Whenever I take a rig out...I try really hard to listen for these things. I've taken the 3,4,5, Force and DX3 out on extended trips and have never had a squeek or rattle that did not go away at higher speeds or was something I could replicate at will. If I hear a lot of issues with something, I will also look at other suppliers, but that doesn't no always guaranty success.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:08 AM   #16

The hard part is all of the different stuff we all load into the RV. You would have to unload the entire RV of personal stuff, then drive it to see if it is the RV or the stuff.

We ended up wrapping the silverware, the microwave tray etc... to stop rattles. I can get the side door almost 100% stopped, but I am looking forward to trying the WD40 treatment.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
The hard part is all of the different stuff we all load into the RV. You would have to unload the entire RV of personal stuff, then drive it to see if it is the RV or the stuff.

We ended up wrapping the silverware, the microwave tray etc... to stop rattles. I can get the side door almost 100% stopped, but I am looking forward to trying the WD40 treatment.
I have had the noise since 2017 and have tried all of the above stuff, to no
avail, I can tell you that if I do not spray it rattles, and if I do it stops.
Make sure you use the WD-40 can with the smart straw and shoot it in there.
I think that the noise comes from the door open/close locking mechanism.
Hope it works for you, I don't leave without a can of WD-40 LOL
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:49 PM   #18
Retired Army Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
I have had the noise since 2017 and have tried all of the above stuff, to no

avail, I can tell you that if I do not spray it rattles, and if I do it stops.

Make sure you use the WD-40 can with the smart straw and shoot it in there.

I think that the noise comes from the door open/close locking mechanism.

Hope it works for you, I don't leave without a can of WD-40 LOL

WD40 has been working for me also, just have to give it a little shot every few trips and it is fine.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #19

I had a similar squeak in my 2016 Force 37Bh. I removed the trim piece from above the drivers head that hides the forward bunk plywood floor. One the piece was removed, you will notice some 1x2 boards that support the bunk plywood. I just drove a bunch of deck screws in to them. That fixed the annoying squeak, and it has held for about 1 year so far. There is also a squeak under the passenger seat, but I can't isolate that one. Good luck!!
randocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #20

Check the bolts under the seat, we had one that was stripped and it squeaked.