Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Yes, that hood is mounted to solid points, but I can tell you we never adjust the hoods. Too finicky, we ask Freightliner to come out and do it. I've seen them add 3-4 washers to get the hood perfectly lined up. While the hood is mounted to the frame...there is a curved metal bar off of that that helps the hood spring and flex. Not discounting any issue...but seriously questioning the validity of the measuring points. Moving hood with slotted holes and a bumper. Should be measured to frame.
Brian, you are correct. I should have said "I had to adjust the bumper (not the hood) using the slotted holes when I reinstalled it to make the gap between the bumper and hood consistent. When one side of the bumper is loose, you can just pick up on it with one hand while tightening the bolts with the other hand and move it several inches.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 08-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
7cm = 2.75”

LOL. I said millimeters and meant to say centimeters. Proof that if you don’t use it you lose it and I’m clearly losing it. Hahahaha.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #23

I blame the metric system. If you just used inches there’d be nothing to get confused by
Old 08-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Quote:
3/4” is a bit more than 3-4 washers...
I'm saying that the hood is designed to float...it is not a "fixed Point" apparatus.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 08-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #25

Quote:
I'm saying that the hood is designed to float...it is not a "fixed Point" apparatus.
If you look closely at bumper wing on passenger side, it has already been adjusted so far down that it has a wider gap at the top than the bottom...IF it was adjusted to an even gap the difference would be even more, probably over an inch differential...
Old 08-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Brian, you are correct. I should have said "I had to adjust the bumper (not the hood) using the slotted holes when I reinstalled it to make the gap between the bumper and hood consistent. When one side of the bumper is loose, you can just pick up on it with one hand while tightening the bolts with the other hand and move it several inches.
Just curious do you have the tow sockets in yours? And if so did adjusting the bumper obstruct the ports? It looks as if I will obstruct these for sure if I move the bumper that much, guess I could torch the obstructing metal if I have to...
Old 08-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #27
Commercial Member

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to prove to me...I'm not arguing anything other than I think where you measured is flawed.

Hood...is hinged and designed to float and is adjustable.
Bumper...is 3 pieces, can float a bit as well in regards to mounting point.
Bumper flares...fairly thin metal, break-away bumpers mounted on a pivot.

So you have a 3/4" variance measured between two movable/adjustable objects at the farthest edge from the pivot point (which will amplify the variance)...I'm just not sure how that screams "frame issues".

Old 08-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #28

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to prove to me...I'm not arguing anything other than I think where you measured is flawed.

Hood...is hinged and designed to float and is adjustable.
Bumper...is 3 pieces, can float a bit as well in regards to mounting point.
Bumper flares...fairly thin metal, break-away bumpers mounted on a pivot.

So you have a 3/4" variance measured between two movable/adjustable objects at the farthest edge from the pivot point (which will amplify the variance)...I'm just not sure how that screams "frame issues".
Hopefully we will know soon enough...it looks to be the frame from “eyeballing” all the mounts, bumper, and alignments...no shims found anywhere...

Owned an M2 106 from 2006 to 2017...know the hood and bumpers well enough to know when something isn’t right...
Old 08-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Multiple....or owned a 2006 for 11 years?

Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Multiple....or owned a 2006 for 11 years?
Same truck for 11 yrs...2007 M2 106, purchased 2006
Old 08-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #31
Commercial Member

So you're comparing a 2007 M2-106 to a 2017 M2-112. I actually think there is even more play in an M2-112 due to the larger radiator. They basically took an M2-106...added some parts and pieces to get a larger taller hood to fit the taller radiator.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #32

Quote:
So you're comparing a 2007 M2-106 to a 2017 M2-112. I actually think there is even more play in an M2-112 due to the larger radiator. They basically took an M2-106...added some parts and pieces to get a larger taller hood to fit the taller radiator.
Yes sir, they have had the same hood design since 2005 to current...M2 106 and M2 112...
Old 08-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Yes, but 106 is different from 112. Flatter front and taller for bigger radiator and personally I think more room for adjustment...bad or good.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Just curious do you have the tow sockets in yours? And if so did adjusting the bumper obstruct the ports? It looks as if I will obstruct these for sure if I move the bumper that much, guess I could torch the obstructing metal if I have to...
Yes, it has the reinforced points on the frame where you would bolt a tow in to place. No, aligning the bumper slightly up/down does not obstruct access to those points. But, you would have to remove the yellow fog lights since they fill up the area in the bumper where the tow hooks would go.

Since the Caliber 9 fog LED's out perform the factory fog lights I actually considered removing them and putting in tow hooks. Then I found out how much those tow hooks cost from Freightliner. They are pretty massive pieces and have a flange on them so they align correctly and cant twist. The painted ones were like $300 each and the chrome ones (which I would prefer) were even more. I would add both sides so it didn't look unbalanced, so for now I have put these into the "nice to have category" for future consideration. In the mean time I will do my best to not get into a situation that requires towing the vehicle from the front.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
Old 08-10-2018, 01:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Yes, it has the reinforced points on the frame where you would bolt a tow in to place. No, aligning the bumper slightly up/down does not obstruct access to those points. But, you would have to remove the yellow fog lights since they fill up the area in the bumper where the tow hooks would go.
Mine don't have 1/4" to spare before covering up a portion of the hole, if I adjust 3/4" the Passenger side will definitely be covered from what I looked at....
Old 08-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes, but 106 is different from 112. Flatter front and taller for bigger radiator and personally I think more room for adjustment...bad or good.
I didn't note any play in the hinge itself at all, it is a completely rigid hinge pivot...once tightened and secured hood cannot move any at all on the hinged side or front...there is no floating or movement in the hinge unless you loosen the bolts and adjust then re-secure where it is then rigid again...

I almost bought the 112 when I purchased the 106, but it was to front heavy for where I camp...the engine alone was double the weight...it's a given that a bigger engine and more horsepower requires greater cooling and more surface area for cooling/radiator...
Old 08-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Mine don't have 1/4" to spare before covering up a portion of the hole, if I adjust 3/4" the Passenger side will definitely be covered from what I looked at....
But the factory tow hook has what looks to be at least a 1" flange on it that offsets it from the frame and centers it in the opening.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:15 PM   #38

Quote:
But the factory tow hook has what looks to be at least a 1" flange on it that offsets it from the frame and centers it in the opening.
Not on the 112 frame...
Old 08-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #39
2018 Dynaquest 38TS

I had to adjust the front bumper on mine also no big deal, took about 10 minutes. If you are going to bounce something down the road, you will be adjusting and tightening things all the time it's just part of owning a Motorhome, that was built by men and women not robots.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Quest View Post
I had to adjust the front bumper on mine also no big deal, took about 10 minutes. If you are going to bounce something down the road, you will be adjusting and tightening things all the time it's just part of owning a Motorhome, that was built by men and women not robots.
Owned and drove a M2 106 for over 100,000 miles from 2006 to 2017, still looked like new when I sold it...

All 100,000 miles towing 5th Wheel or 5th Wheel with Jeep in tow or 38ft 26k trailer hauling equipment....

Maintained it and changed fluids, changed one shock on rear, two shocks on front at 50k miles, one air module, one check valve, both headlights, one cab air bag...11 yrs...

Front Bumper never needed adjusting...?
Closed Thread

Tags
frame