Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Freightliner factory installed rear trailer brake air

I see Freightliner has an option on the M2 build for trailer air to back of chassis as a build option. I am not sure this is proportional brake air, but it would not surprise me if it is, since all tractor trailers need proportional air for the trailer brakes. IF, this is an option, wouldn't it behove Dynamax to order cab/chassis with that option so dealers don't have to be messing around with brake air system when customers are setting up their toad. I did a lot of research on toad brake options, which was covered in another thread on this forum. Suffice to say, two things seem pretty consistent. 1) If you have a coach with air brakes, the Air Force One toad air brake system is by FAR the best choice. I wont argue that point here. And 2), Camping World, RV dealers, Dynamax dealers are all pushing the DUO instead of AFO because they are bashful at cutting into the coach air brake system. The local Camping World locally all but refused. The local dealer said they put in 12 to 1 DUO over AFO. Now, AFO is the only truly proportional toad breaking system. So, if that's the best, and I would guess a significant portion of the M2 chassis owners are pulling a toad, and IF the chassis can be ordered with trialer air at the back of the chassis, then would that be a good thing to consider. I am assuming the only person that can really answer this is BC, and I will probably get the lecture about price point, blah blah. Or, easier, is maybe I am misunderstanding the air option that I "think" is on the Freightliner M2 option list. All I can say, is it has been like pulling hen's teeth to get anyone to put the AFO air system in my new Force to the point I did the entire toad portion myself, which I would rather have not. So if there was a way to order the cab/chassis with brake air already at the back of the chassis, it would be a big plus. And Demco sells a toad only portion of the AFO so it would be a very slick setup.

2021 Force 37TS (Detroit DD8)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2020 Isata-5 36DS (traded in)
Invisibleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:28 AM   #2

Not sure what the big deal is about cutting one air line and inserting a T fitting. Of course I just knocked on wood when I said that, because I self-installed my AFO system. :-) I did it not because the dealer refused, but because I knew it would get done right, with care and with attention to detail--all of which seem to be characteristics lacking at many dealerships and especially CW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Force Connection.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	254071  
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:36 AM   #3

Air connection on 2017 XL factory install by Freightliner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	726C1462-749A-46DD-A136-51E7EB526658.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	496.2 KB
ID:	254073  
Old 05-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #4
Viet Nam era Navy veteran

True air over hydraulic system for towed vehicle

This is a link to M&G Engineering.
https://m-gengineering.com/products/

This co. builds metal parts that install into the towed vehicle brake system between brake booster & brake reservoir. The air from Dynamax air brakes proportionately applies towed vehicle brakes.

Mine works fine. I connect air line between fitting on Papa Bear to upper glad hand on Fury.

I recommend this braking system.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180823_145223_resized.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	254083

Let's Roll !
Wolf Alaska

Fury, Dynamax Freightliner Columbia Grand Sport GT GC400GT
Papa Bear, Jeep Commander Overland
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #5

Andy, I agree it isn't all that hard, especially if you've done it before. I would have done it myself if I had a little more time, and a shop. It's getting hot out here in Az. I think the dealers are pushing the DUO more because the install is faster, and they are all so backed up. I couldn't help but notice the LED lights on your coach, in the back by the air line. What's that about? Looks nice.
Hal

Old 05-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #6

The Freightliner trailer brake system also has a few other features. There is also a manual hand control on the dash, a dash mounted air gauge dedicated to the trailer brake, a dedicated trailer brake reservoir tank and a dash mounted push/pull trailer brake lock/evacuate valve.

I added an elbow, 1/4 turn SS shutoff valve and quick-connect air fitting for my Roadmaster Brakemaster system.

Roadmaster Brakemaster
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer Brake 2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	525.0 KB
ID:	254090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Brake 3b.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	254091  
Magnatudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisibleman View Post
Andy, I agree it isn't all that hard, especially if you've done it before. I would have done it myself if I had a little more time, and a shop. It's getting hot out here in Az. I think the dealers are pushing the DUO more because the install is faster, and they are all so backed up. I couldn't help but notice the LED lights on your coach, in the back by the air line. What's that about? Looks nice.
Hal
Hi Hal. I think you understood I wasn't criticizing you at all for not doing it yourself, more so the dealers, but I just wanted to make sure. Don't want any hard feeling. Thanks for explaining it better for me.
On the lights--I added those for connecting/disconnecting/inspecting the toad at night. Thanks. :-)
shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #8

Andy, I didn't think anything about it. Knew exactly what you meant.
Mag, that Freightliner trailer brake option is the cats ass. That's the way to do it.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:38 PM   #9

Andy. How did you get the factory Freightliner trailer brake option?

Tags
factory, led, trailer