Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #1

Freightliner snow driving experience?

Anyone have and feedback on how the Freightliner chassis handles on snowy roads? We primarily snow camp at our local ski resort and the Isata 5 is just too small for our family. Curious if anyone has any experience with this? Thanks
Snowseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #2
Commercial Member

If you search this forum there are several threads on this topic.

here was one that was mainly about travel vs. camping
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...go-222725.html

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:04 AM   #3

Definatly get some sort of chains, auto chains work best due to clearance.

The stock tires have zero and I mean zero traction on snow and ice. I got stuck in less than 4” of snow on level ground. Super cool cop in a pickup was able to give enough pull to get me out.

I don’t use my dx3 in the winter but on occasion I’m forced to…and will only do it if snow is not expected. But snowy parking lots and such remain, so be ready!

—john
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:29 PM   #4

I've only driven in the snow a couple of times, as I'm not too interested in it but here's my thoughts:

The extra weight and locker on that rear axle help with traction some

Momentum is key -

On one occasion I got stuck on an incline in 1" of slushy snow in an empty parking lot. Due to the incline as the tires dug down they slid sideways and I was constantly without traction. That 40k lbs fighting me the entire time.

On another occasion I was able to escape a campground that had seen 12" of snow in the preceding 48 hours, I dug out in front of the spot then kept steady momentum the entire time out to the road. Thankfully it was the fluffy stuff.

I carry chains and have skied (via the DX3) Breckenridge and Tahoe a couple of times as well as Taos. My main strategy though is to watch the weather like a hawk and plan travel on days that wont be significantly impacted. I certainly don't feel as confident driving mountain passes as I would in a 4x4 and hop I dont need to ever deal with chains.

Tags
snow