Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2022, 06:19 PM   #1

Fuel cards TSD vs TCS

Ok which is better. Both provide discounts on fuel (diesel)
TSD open roads which is attached to a bank account (claims up to 40 cents/ gal

or

TCS which is a funded debit card. (this is also a "benefit" of FMCA) claims up to 70 cents/ gal

Any comments?

Questions on usability (where honored)
Availability nationally etc.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 05-12-2022, 06:47 PM   #2

I have TSD and have had some great savings. I havent looked into TCS yet.

But today I was told there are diesel shortages on the East Coast and they may ration diesel (rumor). A few other articles said they are jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for the heads up, I will look into TCS
Old 05-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
I have TSD and have had some great savings. I havent looked into TCS yet.

But today I was told there are diesel shortages on the East Coast and they may ration diesel (rumor). A few other articles said they are jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for the heads up, I will look into TCS
According to Love’s they will not be rationing but there may be shortages…

https://cdllife.com/2022/diesel-shor...ing-situation/

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post

or

TCS which is a funded debit card. (this is also a "benefit" of FMCA) claims up to 70 cents/ gal

Any comments?

Thanks,

Ken
I have the TSD card. Discounts vary by truck stop. I have found, at least in my area of southeast US, the T/A has the best discounts. Also, not all truck stops participate in the discount program. You have to check Open Roads app to see which stops do. I’m not sure about TCS….

Old 05-13-2022, 07:02 AM   #5

Quote:

or

Any comments?

Thanks,

Ken
We have the TSD app (Open Roads) and use it mostly at T/A truck stops. We also have the Mudflap app. A lot of truckers use it. Just saved $.75/gal. At Sapp Brothers yesterday.

The benefit to these two is they provide discounts at different companies so it may be easier to find fuel. Also, I didn’t have to load money onto either. I can use either a credit card or bank debit card with Mudflap. Additional 2 cent discount for using bank debit card.

A trucker getting fuel next to us yesterday said he uses Mudflap all the time and has realized the best discounts.
Ladytj1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladytj1754 View Post
We have the TSD app (Open Roads) and use it mostly at T/A truck stops. We also have the Mudflap app. A lot of truckers use it. Just saved $.75/gal. At Sapp Brothers yesterday.

The benefit to these two is they provide discounts at different companies so it may be easier to find fuel. Also, I didn’t have to load money onto either. I can use either a credit card or bank debit card with Mudflap. Additional 2 cent discount for using bank debit card.

A trucker getting fuel next to us yesterday said he uses Mudflap all the time and has realized the best discounts.
With Mudflap it appears you have to go in to see the cashier. Is that right?

Old 05-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #7

Yes, you do, but it usually isn’t too much of a hassle. Cashiers are very accommodating.
Ladytj1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:54 PM   #8

TSD has an app that lets you plan stops based upon price after discount. But also I find some less expensive places on Gas Buddy that aren't on the TDS map, but still take it and those net out lowest of all. Example Maverick stations with truck lanes, As well as the Texaco/Chevron at Tom Wells Road between Quartzsite AZ and the California line on I-10
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
TSD has an app that lets you plan stops based upon price after discount. But also I find some less expensive places on Gas Buddy that aren't on the TDS map, but still take it and those net out lowest of all. Example Maverick stations with truck lanes, As well as the Texaco/Chevron at Tom Wells Road between Quartzsite AZ and the California line on I-10
I drive by Tom Wells as my GarageMahal is near Blythe. Do you need anything in particular to get a discount at the station at Tom Wells? TIA
Old 05-15-2022, 07:52 PM   #10

I have TSD also but not a lot stations any closer than 2 hrs to us and we’ve only made 3 trips past any stations that do take it. The TA in Strafford, Mo was dang near $.50 cheaper than Loves across the street, unfortunately we didn’t need fuel.

We also use the Phillips 66 app linked to our checking acct and get $.25 a gal every time.
USAF Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twp5253 View Post
I drive by Tom Wells as my GarageMahal is near Blythe. Do you need anything in particular to get a discount at the station at Tom Wells? TIA
I also stop there, I believe you need a TDS card.
jeepin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:22 PM   #12

I have the EFS/TDS/Open Road card, have had it for years but never used it because the discounts didn't amount to much. But, this week I took my diesel pickup to a TA truck stop here in Denver. Pump price was $5.79 per gallon and when filled it showed a total amount of $285.00 (I put a 52 gallon tank in it). The app showed the discount price was $4.99 per gallon. The charge showed up on my debit account the next day and it was $250.00 which included their small service fee and their percentage of the amount saved. So $35.00 savings over the pump price. Guess I'll start using the card a lot more now.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:45 PM   #13

Roger that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepin1 View Post
I also stop there, I believe you need a TDS card.
It is weird that I have the TDS app and the card says EFS on it. All good! I am grateful they don't make me plug it back in after every $100 or I would be there for an hour.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:19 AM   #14

Quote:
It is weird that I have the TDS app and the card says EFS on it. All good! I am grateful they don't make me plug it back in after every $100 or I would be there for an hour.

My app shows open roads, EFS was the old app
Old 05-17-2022, 10:21 AM   #15

I just got TCS card which says powered by EFS. After getting online with them and doing a fuel stop search locally found that there are none in WA,ID,MT. 1 in Baker City, OR. So not much use for me.

Mudflap is usable in many locations within the mentioned states. So will probably go with Mudflap for now.

The TDS card seems to be more prevalent for southwestern and mid states.

as a side note:
Just saw 5.99.9 for diesel at MP 179 on I90 Moses Lake, WA.

ugh
Old 05-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #16

I have submitted for a TSD card. Current diesel price in my area of California, is 6.29 at the no name station that is usually the cheapest in the area.
Chevron near me is either 6.89 or 6.59, depending on which I go to.
No TA, Loves, or that type anywhere near me.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:16 PM   #17

Quote:

My TSD card is all I have
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
I have the EFS/TDS/Open Road card, have had it for years but never used it because the discounts didn't amount to much. But, this week I took my diesel pickup to a TA truck stop here in Denver. Pump price was $5.79 per gallon and when filled it showed a total amount of $285.00 (I put a 52 gallon tank in it). The app showed the discount price was $4.99 per gallon. The charge showed up on my debit account the next day and it was $250.00 which included their small service fee and their percentage of the amount saved. So $35.00 savings over the pump price. Guess I'll start using the card a lot more now.

I find that similar situation. Have/Had EFS/TDS/Open Road card, but over the last year the APP upgraded itself to "CONTROL CARD" which then displays as Wex, Control Card and ask for a selection and the only choice is Tri-State Delivery Inc.

Same function, same old Card, same account number, same Control # (Pin code) and charges my account the same way but I have noticed that the system upgrades faster as I now have the Bill IN THE APP in about 2 minutes where is used to be my next stop before I could see the invoice with price and gallons on the app.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin_tdc View Post
I have submitted for a TSD card. Current diesel price in my area of California, is 6.29 at the no name station that is usually the cheapest in the area.
Chevron near me is either 6.89 or 6.59, depending on which I go to.
No TA, Loves, or that type anywhere near me.
You can only get discounts at the stations in their system that they are currently contracted with. I don't see any locations by you, the closest being a Quik Trip off Hwy 4 near Port Chicago. You can use the EFS/TSD card at a lot of places, but without a discount and a $1 "out of network" surcharge.

Should help on road trips though. Just use Gas Buddy to get the pump prices around you and then compare to the discounted price in the Open Roads app and pick the best price. A station a mile from my house is almost always cheaper than the discounts at truck stops 20 miles away.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #20

Quote:
I just got TCS card which says powered by EFS. After getting online with them and doing a fuel stop search locally found that there are none in WA,ID,MT. 1 in Baker City, OR. So not much use for me.

Mudflap is usable in many locations within the mentioned states. So will probably go with Mudflap for now.

The TDS card seems to be more prevalent for southwestern and mid states.

as a side note:

Just saw 5.99.9 for diesel at MP 179 on I90 Moses Lake, WA.

ugh

I’m not sure about the TCS card but TDS has some locations in MT. ID. and WA.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1767.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	273453Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	273454
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel