Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURWHL View Post
FWIW I think where most people get confused is the 10% air gap required for expansion (most tanks have this built in with where their filler tubes are). While the tank may be 40 gal in dimension, you'll likely only be able to ever get 36 gal of fuel into it before it spills out. That'd be a lot closer to your real world experience as well.
x2 ^^^^^^^

Also, it costs just as much to keep the upper 3./4 full as the bottom 4/4 full.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer32 View Post
Yeah your very right. They should not advertise it as a 40 gal tank when its actual capacity is 30-36. Live and learn.

M
I don't think there's any harm in advertising its a 40 gal tank. It is a 40 gal tank. I think its our responsibility as users to understand what we can and can't use out of that 40 gal tank. No different than the propane tank that can only be filled to 80% of capacity.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #43

Yup, same problem with fuel gauge here. At 1/4 tank reading on the dash, I have 40 gallons remaining (assuming a total 80 gallon capacity). Installed a scan gauge D to monitor "tank to empty." At least now I can plan fuel stops more accurately and with more peace of mind.
JC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #44

Thanks to this thread I installed the BlueFire system. The distance to empty and gallons used has been dang close on the first three or four trips since install. Like others, gave me peace of mind really knowing when I should stop for fuel. With all the information on one larger screen, I found it easier to read than the ScanGauge D I had previously.
“Breathe in, Breathe out, Move on”
MoJoe1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:00 AM   #45

I also set up the bluefire and have had a similar experience with the gallons used being fairly accurate. I have a 100 gal tank on the port side and a fifty on the starboard and have found that percentage wise, they empty fairly evenly. The gauge on the dash is a joke. I don't understand how the commercial users of this truck can stand it.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel