Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #1

Generator Issue, please help Brian

During the PDI, we started the Generator at least once. When we stopped it, the Precision Circuits display showed the system rebooting. I should have made the tech do this a few times rather than buy his story that such things happen. So, 50 miles from Moab, 700 miles from home I exercise the generator for 15 min. to ensure I can accept a Dry slot without power. When the Genset was turned off, it made the whole RV go DARK. Seems it reset the BMS's of the Relion batteries and I was able to fix. Any ideas how I can proceed? Maybe turn one of my inverters off?

Thank you Thorne
Old 05-14-2022, 04:10 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Not sure...never seen it. Has it happened again?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Not sure...never seen it. Has it happened again?
At the dealer, the system just rebooted...no big deal. 50 miles from Moab and it killed the batteries and I have not tried it since. Tomorrow, they have a spot with 50 amp for the rest of the week. So, I am hesitant to try the generator even though its hot. Not sure what is causing the BMS to turn both batteries off? Brave New World! Its either a short or over voltage? Perhaps you could hook me up with schematics and the engineer that designed the system? Not time critical, life is good in Moab!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DynamaxInMoab.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	535.7 KB
ID:	273236  
Old 05-14-2022, 07:37 PM   #4

Had to turn Genset on! Heaven help me when I turn it off

Dog and I got too hot during nap. Here is a picture that I think proves one of my Inverters, the one that runs the forward AC unit, is not connected to the GENSET. This is not going to work. The top Inverter is maxed out at 128amps of charging but the bottom Inverter, the one specifically for the forward AC unit is using 162amps and my SOC is slowly going down. Not sure this was the intended way it would work?
I am going to let the GENSET run after I turn off the AC units so it will charge the batteries and then I will try and reduce the loads and pray that when the GENSET goes offline, I don't go dark. Not having as much fun in Moab as I would like.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	InvertersAC&Genset.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	273251  
Old 05-15-2022, 07:01 PM   #5
Commercial Member

One inverter was dedicated to one A/C. It was never designed to run the A/C just off the batteries, it will never last more than a couple of hours a best (less if the other inverter is enabled). The dedicated inverter was only ever designed to run the A/C when going down the road where you know the alternator is charging the batteries.

If the generator is running, the inverters should not be on. The power should "pass through" as the inverters are not needed.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:27 PM   #6

Quote:
One inverter was dedicated to one A/C. It was never designed to run the A/C just off the batteries, it will never last more than a couple of hours a best (less if the other inverter is enabled). The dedicated inverter was only ever designed to run the A/C when going down the road where you know the alternator is charging the batteries.

If the generator is running, the inverters should not be on. The power should "pass through" as the inverters are not needed.
Yes, what you said is what I expected but reality is far different. Picture above was while the GENSET was running. Now, I am on a 50 amp service and if I run the forward AC and rear AC at the same time, I am faced the same issue. The bottom inverter is feeding the forward AC about 160+ amps and the top inverter is charging about 100 amps, I reduced it to 80% and after about 5 hours I have now run the batteries down. I know that was not what was intended. The bottom (extra) inverter is not tied to any AC power, Genset or 50AMP Service. I can live with it till September.
I did figure out how to run the GENSET without it killing everything. I simply stop the charging on the top Inverter and turn off major loads and then stop the GENSET. This seems to be the trick for now. Thank you Sir! Parked next to a DX3 in MOAB now.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Inverter should pass through when connected to shore or gen running. There are 2 feeds from the breaker box to the 2nd inverter. One feed goes to inverter HOT 1 in to tell the inverter 120vac is present which should put it in pass through mode. The other feed goes to HOT 2 in which feeds the front a/c.

I would make sure charging is off on the A/C inverter. No need for it. It might be an issue with the settings. Also, if plugged in, make sure the inverter is off as well. No need for that when plugged in. Normally I thought pass through was automatic...but not sure how the settings look.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:07 PM   #8

Labels and Schematics Prove Valuable!!!!!

Quote:
Inverter should pass through when connected to shore or gen running. There are 2 feeds from the breaker box to the 2nd inverter. One feed goes to inverter HOT 1 in to tell the inverter 120vac is present which should put it in pass through mode. The other feed goes to HOT 2 in which feeds the front a/c.

I would make sure charging is off on the A/C inverter. No need for it. It might be an issue with the settings. Also, if plugged in, make sure the inverter is off as well. No need for that when plugged in. Normally I thought pass through was automatic...but not sure how the settings look.
Oh Brian, you are such a great help!!! Attached is a picture showing my current fuse labels....or lack of them So, I traced the fuse to the AC unit in question and it was tripped. I reset it, turned the AC on and for the first time since having RV, the bottom Inverter is now charging rather than Inverting while on Shore Power. Now, I am not completely sure we are in heaven yet because when my GENSET blew out the BMS on the batteries, I reset every fuse in that panel....while dark with a flashlight. Thank you for the schematics and labels as that is a huge help for a electrician...I often play one on TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CircuitBreakerLabeling.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	273390  
Old 05-17-2022, 08:06 AM   #9
Commercial Member

We pre print those labels and since yours was a "one off" I'm sure they thought someone would get to creating one. Clearly that did not happen

Tags
generator