Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

Generator not cranking, just click

--Quote (Originally by sylphil)---
I have a 2015 Rev 24rb. The generator was fine 2 weeks ago. Now all I get is a click. No cranking. Could it be my house batteries. I have lights. Also How do I use the emergency battery switch in the dash. Is that suppose to help start the generator. I though when I disconnect house battery while in storage it holds the charge a little longer. Am I incorrect? Please advise.
sylphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #2

The emergency battery switch is usually a momentary switch. You need to hold it down, which ties all batteries together, and start the generator.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
llr

when you try to start the generator do the lights dim a lot or go out? If so it is probably a battery or connection issue between the battery and the distribution panel.

If not it could be the starter solenoid or a bad connection between the battery and the generator.
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:18 PM   #4

Try letting your engine run for a few minutes and then see if the generator will crank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylphil View Post
--Quote (Originally by sylphil)---
I have a 2015 Rev 24rb. The generator was fine 2 weeks ago. Now all I get is a click. No cranking. Could it be my house batteries. I have lights. Also How do I use the emergency battery switch in the dash. Is that suppose to help start the generator. I though when I disconnect house battery while in storage it holds the charge a little longer. Am I incorrect? Please advise.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Try letting your engine run for a few minutes and then see if the generator will crank.
^^^^ This. Your house battery might not have a full charge. I'd keep the engine running while trying to crank the generator. The engine in the REV will charge the house battery (assuming that the fuse on the battery hasn't blown as it did in mine.)

Are you plugged into shore power? If you are, unplug from shore power and then push the button on your control panel to see how much battery power you have. When you're plugged in the battery will show all the indicator lights lit up, but it isn't testing the actual battery.

If the battery is fully charged, then you've got a different problem.

Disconnecting the house battery while in storage helps, but it doesn't guarantee that it will be charged when you go to use the rig. Batteries do lose charge when in storage.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:24 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Reverse_snowbird;2261267]

If the battery is fully charged, then you've got a different problem.

That "different problem" could well be a bad ground or corroded terminal. The click means the starter is getting poor connection connections or low batteries. If other 12 volt applications work, then I would check for ground on the generator.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:37 PM   #7

One thing that you have probably already tried....when I first got to colder temperatures and tried to start the generator, it didn't start (or so I thought). All I got was the clicking. I ended up trying a bunch of things and finally said, I'm going to hold down the start process for up to two minutes. Well, after 45 seconds or so it started up. Good luck.
WanderingPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:52 PM   #8

This might sound stupid but bear with me. Put a ratchet on the crank bolt and see if the crankshaft moves freely. A neighbors unit wouldn’t start and just clicked. Don’t remember what made me try it but wanted to make sure the crank moved and “ping” heard starter solenoid pop. It was stuck on the flywheel.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #9

My experience is that sometimes it does take a longer hold on the start switch. It seems that happens more often in colder weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingPhoto View Post
One thing that you have probably already tried....when I first got to colder temperatures and tried to start the generator, it didn't start (or so I thought). All I got was the clicking. I ended up trying a bunch of things and finally said, I'm going to hold down the start process for up to two minutes. Well, after 45 seconds or so it started up. Good luck.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingPhoto View Post
^^^^^Try this. It could be the clicking you hear is the generator pre-heat cycle if it is diesel. On cold starts mine does this every time, the colder it is the longer it takes but it then starts right up.
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator