Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2023, 10:33 AM   #1

Generator Oil Change - ISATA5

Noticed this issue on an older post re: Generator Oil Change - Europa.
Our access door used to open on our ISATA 5 28SS. But, sure enough there has been some shifting and not so much access anymore. I was more concerned with the root cause behind a shifting 420 lbs generator. IMHO, not much shoulder for the 4 bolts to clamp on to the frame. Found some bolts looser than 20 ft lbs of torque (Onan spec calls for 31 ft lbs of torque). So, I added 3/8' washers with a 1" external diameter as shown in third picture, plus some thread locker and torqued to spec.
Coaxing that generator into position was the hardest part. With only one bolt out at a time, I used my jeep's jack and a large plate under the generator's center of gravity (as shown in Onan's Install document). Still needed a large C-clamp and some wood blocks to move the generator into alignment.
Cheers,
SParkie

Problem (notice the bolt shoulder v frame slot = not so much)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen Shift.PNG
Views:	78
Size:	510.8 KB
ID:	283460

Solution (notice the C-clamp and wood blocks)

Name:	Solution.PNG
Views:	76
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	283468

Result (aligned door and larger washers)

Name:	Result.PNG
Views:	69
Size:	727.3 KB
ID:	283469
SParkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:21 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I'll note this to production/engineering.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

Our rig has 13K miles on it at the one year mark and I'm sure that had something to do with it ! Many more Nationl Parks on the to do list.
Cheers,
SParkie
Old 02-02-2023, 04:17 PM   #4
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'll note this to production/engineering.
Brian, just an FYI but I had the same gotcha on my 2021 28SS. Resolved by loosening the bolts and using a transmission jack to move the generator and open access to the change port. Helluva job!
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:28 PM   #5

I had the same issue with my 2021 28SS; unfortunately, the bolts on my unit were either over torqued, or crossed threaded, resulting in 2 shearing off and 1 with stripped threads when I tried to loosen them to reposition the generator - leaving one bolt... I was unable to get the sheared bolts out using an easy-out, leaving me with the only option to drill out the old bolts and use nuts and bolts to clamp the generator down to the frame. Definitely not a pleasant event.

Dan
dtyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:48 PM   #6

FYI. Assuming the front of the generator on the I 5 is as accessible as on the M2s, the easiest way to service these units is to remove the front panel. It’s a dozen or so screws and the panel pulls off. You can then service it without having to crawl under the coach. Very easy. I never mess with that door on the bottom.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:50 PM   #7
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
FYI. Assuming the front of the generator on the I 5 is as accessible as on the M2s, the easiest way to service these units is to remove the front panel. It’s a dozen or so screws and the panel pulls off. You can then service it without having to crawl under the coach. Very easy. I never mess with that door on the bottom.
Not so much. Many of the screws are hidden or obscured by the frame making it a slow and tedious job to remove the front panel. And there are a lot of them.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Not so much. Many of the screws are hidden or obscured by the frame making it a slow and tedious job to remove the front panel. And there are a lot of them.
Too bad, they are all out in the open on the M2.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 02-03-2023, 06:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
I change my oil all the time pulling the front panel. It's easier and cleaner. All screws are easily accessible.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailWayz View Post
I change my oil all the time pulling the front panel. It's easier and cleaner. All screws are easily accessible.

Agreed. It only take a few minutes to remove the cover screws, then you can reach everything from the front, lot less mess and crawling around under the generator.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
Agreed. It only take a few minutes to remove the cover screws, then you can reach everything from the front, lot less mess and crawling around under the generator.
That’s what I said.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Old 02-04-2023, 10:20 AM   #12

Serrated washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SParkie View Post
Noticed this issue on an older post re: Generator Oil Change - Europa.
Our access door used to open on our ISATA 5 28SS. But, sure enough there has been some shifting and not so much access anymore. I was more concerned with the root cause behind a shifting 420 lbs generator. IMHO, not much shoulder for the 4 bolts to clamp on to the frame. Found some bolts looser than 20 ft lbs of torque (Onan spec calls for 31 ft lbs of torque). So, I added 3/8' washers with a 1" external diameter as shown in third picture, plus some thread locker and torqued to spec.
Coaxing that generator into position was the hardest part. With only one bolt out at a time, I used my jeep's jack and a large plate under the generator's center of gravity (as shown in Onan's Install document). Still needed a large C-clamp and some wood blocks to move the generator into alignment.
Cheers,
SParkie
Brian and Sparkie,
Instead of flat washers, consider the use of serrated washers or even external-tooth star washers. These will bite into the small surface area of those rails and do more to prevent lateral movement.

When I worked in the bicycle shop in the late 1950s, serrated washers were used to keep the rear axle from slipping in the slotted frame as the axle position was shifted to achieve proper chain tension. They are still in use today.
Attached Images

"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Careful doing this. With mine the front panel and the top panel holes do not line up well, at all. Also, two of the top screws were forced in at a steep angle, because of this, they were stripped out (I'll have to see about getting this fixed). I did have to pull the front cover for the first change because the filter was installed so tight and/or without oil around the gasket, I couldn't get it off. The panel had to come off and I had to tear into the filter pretty bad to get it off (a bit of a messy job).
-Demco Air Force One
-Remco 2pc Drive Shaft w/Disconnect
-Blue-Ox Avail Tow Bar and Baseplate
NewToTheForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:53 PM   #14

Exclamation Generator still in place despite rough roads

Update:
After 7,000 miles on some really rough roads*, I can report the generator has stayed put! Washers and the right torque worked.
Cheers,
SParkie

*Rough: Especially I-40 heading East from Kingman, AZ towards Williams, AZ. There is even a section marked Rough Road next 26 miles. By the time you see that sign, it's too late! By then, you will need to watch for the 18 wheelers slaloming from one lane to the other. Follow them if you can because they know where the really big craters are located! Oh, if you see a RAM hub cap by the side of the road, its probably the one I lost.

Tags
generator