Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Generator question...

I saw advise on another posting that you should never run the generator if you're plugged in to shore power. Wanted to ask on here from people I trust who own a Dynamax. Is that true? We store our RV on the mainland and it stays plugged in to shore power. We stop often when we go over for supplies to start the engine and run the generator. I never unplug it. Is that not okay?
SusieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #2

Hey you two. Haven't seen you on the forum for awhile. How is it going over there on the islands?

Regarding your question:
IF everything is setup and working your transfer switch will switch to the onboard generator and isolate from shore power. It is required to do this per the electrical code. when shore power is connected and there is no generator power present the transfer switch will move to shore power (that klunk you hear when shore power is applied)
Your inverter will do a "pass thru" on the AC. the inverter will have synchronized with the AC input. When the generator is on the transfer switch will see that input and switch to it. That input power will be synchronized up to the inverter output AC (which has taken over during the transfer) and then pass thru that AC input. When generator shuts down the inverter will take up the load until the transfer switch moves back to the shore power input.

It all works when the moon and sun are aligned with the rest of the universe.

Safest way is kill the shore power at the pedestal let the inverter take the load and then start the genset.

At least those are my understanding.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:09 PM   #3

I think you'll find that many 'I heard someone say...' and 'but, someone told me...' comments to not always be believable, as some as 'old school' notions, having to do with something avoidable from 'way back when...', and others are just down right incorrect because someone took their belief from what 'someone else said...', rather then personal experience or facts.

yes, run your generator anytime you wish. Your motorhome is perfectly capable of handling what happens when the generator is running and you are on another source of power - it is very smart. The ATS(automatic transfer switch) is installed just for that purpose... and it will default to Generator power if it is running, even if you have good shore power.
Having your shore cord 'plugged in' is not any problem.
Having your inverter on is also no problem.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
Hey you two. Haven't seen you on the forum for awhile. How is it going over there on the islands?

Regarding your question:
IF everything is setup and working your transfer switch will switch to the onboard generator and isolate from shore power. It is required to do this per the electrical code. when shore power is connected and there is no generator power present the transfer switch will move to shore power (that klunk you hear when shore power is applied)
Your inverter will do a "pass thru" on the AC. the inverter will have synchronized with the AC input. When the generator is on the transfer switch will see that input and switch to it. That input power will be synchronized up to the inverter output AC (which has taken over during the transfer) and then pass thru that AC input. When generator shuts down the inverter will take up the load until the transfer switch moves back to the shore power input.

It all works when the moon and sun are aligned with the rest of the universe.

Safest way is kill the shore power at the pedestal let the inverter take the load and then start the genset.

At least those are my understanding.

Thanks! That makes sense. I was so hoping I haven't been frying electrical components through the winter.
We're finally thawed out from being buried in snow. Freak year...we were completely snowed in for a few weeks. Luckily Dave had finished his cardio rehab classes before we got stuck.
I regularly read all the forum updates - still lots to learn from everyone!
We're headed to Texas in a few weeks and then northeast to the East coast Dynamax rally in Delaware. That'll be our longest trip so far.
Maybe we'll see you guys on the road!!
Old 03-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I think you'll find that many 'I heard someone say...' and 'but, someone told me...' comments to not always be believable, as some as 'old school' notions, having to do with something avoidable from 'way back when...', and others are just down right incorrect because someone took their belief from what 'someone else said...', rather then personal experience or facts.

yes, run your generator anytime you wish. Your motorhome is perfectly capable of handling what happens when the generator is running and you are on another source of power - it is very smart. The ATS(automatic transfer switch) is installed just for that purpose... and it will default to Generator power if it is running, even if you have good shore power.
Having your shore cord 'plugged in' is not any problem.
Having your inverter on is also no problem.

100% this. I run several large (600KW and 800KW) generators through ATS units for work. the transfer switch will switch to your genset when it is running properly. it will monitor the incoming power from your generator and wait until it is in phase and sees the correct voltage before transferring the power.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieR View Post
Thanks! That makes sense. I was so hoping I haven't been frying electrical components through the winter.
We're finally thawed out from being buried in snow. Freak year...we were completely snowed in for a few weeks. Luckily Dave had finished his cardio rehab classes before we got stuck.
I regularly read all the forum updates - still lots to learn from everyone!
We're headed to Texas in a few weeks and then northeast to the East coast Dynamax rally in Delaware. That'll be our longest trip so far.
Maybe we'll see you guys on the road!!
We will be heading to Forman, ND April 12, then back home early May. Work and play trip.

Ha SNOW. three weeks ago I woke at 5:30 am out on excavator that also had an angle blade by 5:45 and got off once to refuel around 3pm. Quit at 4:30pm had just enough room for 1 vehicle at a time to pass thru on our road (private) into the house. (There are 2 more neighbors beyond me)

this was not our "worst" year of snow either!!!!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

Thanks all for the info. Good to know I didn't fry anything!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
We will be heading to Forman, ND April 12, then back home early May. Work and play trip.

Ha SNOW. three weeks ago I woke at 5:30 am out on excavator that also had an angle blade by 5:45 and got off once to refuel around 3pm. Quit at 4:30pm had just enough room for 1 vehicle at a time to pass thru on our road (private) into the house. (There are 2 more neighbors beyond me)

this was not our "worst" year of snow either!!!!
Does not sound like fun. We just hunker in and wait for it to melt. Retirement is grand!![emoji16]
Old 04-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Just an FYI, because I lived this at the Rally when it was 96 degrees. A guy had his REV there and was showing off his new exhaust system. Someone wanted to hear it, so he fired up the Gen when plugged in. Now, that is a completely different transfer switch, but it jammed it INTO gen mode. So when he stopped the gen, the transfer was stuck there and would not change over to shore. After following the "reset" procedures on the manual we were able to get it to change over again. Harder to do when its 96 and you're inside a coach with no air.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator