Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
Norwood Auto Italia

Generator Service Isata 5?

Please can someone who has done their own Isata 5 service give me some advice on this: Any special tools needed; P/N for fuel and oil filter. I believe I can get the oil filter P/N from the OM but it has been my experience that some of the gen sets come with non standard in line fuel filters vs. the cartridges that are spec'd?

I presume access is from below the generator by removing the access plate but is a filter removal tool needed for this model?
vlamgat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #2

My Notes:

Cummins Onan RV QD 8000 Generator
Model No: 8HDKAK-1046P
Spec: P

Oil Filter: 122-0833
Oil: 15W-40 (3 quarts)
Air Filter: 140-2897
Fuel Filter: 149-2513 (147-0860)
Glow Plug: 185-5421
Antifreeze: 50/50 Mix - Water & Ethylene Glycol Antifreeze Coolant

RV QD (Diesel)
* Clean and check battery connections monthly. Do this more often when operating in hot weather.
* Change oil and oil filter every 150-250 hours. Perform more often when operating in dusty environments and hot weather. This should be performed at least once a year.
* Change the air filter every 500 hours. Perform more often when operating in dusty environments and sooner if the engine performance deteriorates.
* Flush the coolant system every 1,000 hours.
* Change the fuel filter every 500 hours. Perform sooner if engine performance deteriorates.*

Dos and Don’ts*
To keep your Onan generator running at its highest potential and running for as long as possible, follow these general dos and don’ts.

DO
* Keep your generator clean by wiping it periodically with a clean cloth
* Turn off all appliances before starting your generator for best long-term performance
* Stay up to date on maintenance schedule
* Check exhaust system regularly for damage or leaks
* Check air filter periodically and clean it tapping it on a flat surface
* Install a running hour meter, if not already present
* Exercise your generator for a few hours every month with a load
* Make sure that clean fuel is used, and for prolonged storage or inactivity be sure to add OnaFresh fuel stabilizer to avoid damage caused by bad fuel
* Change your fuel filter. This is often forgotten about*

Your fuel filter is very important as it removes bits of debris from the fuel to prevent clogging the carburetor jets. In time, however, it collects enough material to become plugged. This restricts fuel flow and reduces the generator’s power delivery.
It is recommended to always have a spare set of filters, oil, and belts on hand in case of an emergency.

DON’T
* Don’t run the generator for long periods of time without using it to power appliances
* Attempt to adjust the carburetor, governor, choke, etc. yourself. See your Cummins authorized RV service and parts dealer for assistance
* Run your generator set with the generator door panel removed
* Run your generator on roads when there is heavy pooling of water

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:31 PM   #3

BTW, I had a hard time getting my oil filter out. I had to remove the front panel and still ended up puncturing it. Other then that, piece of cake.

2020 Isata 5 30FW 4x4
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
TrailWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
Norwood Auto Italia

That's helpful to know. I never removed the front cover on any of the 4 I have serviced to date but I heard that as these get packaged more tightly to meet OEM design requests, its getting harder to to do the maintenance. Hence my reference to the in-line fuel filter which is a lot easier to replace than the cartridge.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat View Post
Please can someone who has done their own Isata 5 service give me some advice on this: Any special tools needed; P/N for fuel and oil filter. I believe I can get the oil filter P/N from the OM but it has been my experience that some of the gen sets come with non standard in line fuel filters vs. the cartridges that are spec'd?

I presume access is from below the generator by removing the access plate but is a filter removal tool needed for this model?
Be warned and don’t panic, IF this is the first oil change for the genset, then the oil filter you take out WILL be different the new filter you order and install. The factory installs a different filter for the break-in period and then you use the spec’d filter for the rest of the changes.

I was able to get the oil filter off from below. I have this oil filter wrench and I’ve yet to encounter an oil filter that it can’t remove….

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63830-6.../dp/B07F6KJ22K

There was running change (by serial number) on the fuel filter where they switch from a bolt-in style fuel filter to an in-line style fuel filter. Our 2019 rig has the in-line style, but I suggest you visually check yours before ordering. It takes less than a minute with no tools and a flash light to open the service hatch and look.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
Norwood Auto Italia

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT4SPD View Post
Be warned and don’t panic, IF this is the first oil change for the genset, then the oil filter you take out WILL be different the new filter you order and install. The factory installs a different filter for the break-in period and then you use the spec’d filter for the rest of the changes.

I was able to get the oil filter off from below. I have this oil filter wrench and I’ve yet to encounter an oil filter that it can’t remove….

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63830-6.../dp/B07F6KJ22K

There was running change (by serial number) on the fuel filter where they switch from a bolt-in style fuel filter to an in-line style fuel filter. Our 2019 rig has the in-line style, but I suggest you visually check yours before ordering. It takes less than a minute with no tools and a flash light to open the service hatch and look.
Helpful stuff guys - thanks. I have never seen that fuel filter change over on 2 other new Gen sets. One came with an inline and another with the cartridge. Nothing in the OM about the cartridge and had to search hard to find a replacement. Cartridge was the same as the OM specified.

I have something like your wrench and will give that a try but its tight up there working on your back too with the inevitable drops right onto the face.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
Ekg

I found the space too tight if I went at the oil filter from below. Now I take the front panel off every time (the 8K gen uses 10mm bolts on the top, bottom, and right side). It’s incredibly easy, lots of room, and for the first oil change I had to take it off to use a cheat bar with the filter wrench.
Ekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:01 AM   #8

I take the front panel off as well. It makes it much easier to service then crawling around under the coach.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:07 AM   #9

X3 eazy
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #10

Super helpful everybody. Greatly appreciated.

Tangential question I've been meaning to ask: what do those of you servicing the Cummins and or Onan on the road use for an oil waste container? Since we're now garageless my typical go tos are all space prohibitive for something you do a couple times a year.
WeQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #11
Norwood Auto Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeQuit View Post
Super helpful everybody. Greatly appreciated.

Tangential question I've been meaning to ask: what do those of you servicing the Cummins and or Onan on the road use for an oil waste container? Since we're now garageless my typical go tos are all space prohibitive for something you do a couple times a year.
Plenty of flat can oil collectors are available on Amazon. This is what I use for my gen sets: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0059HJSA2...mcd_asin_0_img

But there are also sump pumps that in some ways are more effective.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...3-aa65b154e531
Old 01-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #12

Thanks. Yeah, the flat can is my typical go to, just more space than I'd like to burn. A garage is really convenient for this kinda thing as it turns out The oil pumps are cool. Was hoping maybe somebody has found a collapsible can or something. Not sure material science has gotten to that point for petroleum products.
WeQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #13
Norwood Auto Italia

Fuel Filter: 149-2513 (147-0860)

The first p/n is the cartridge version. Very difficult to remove and install requiring small wrenches in a very confined space usually at full arm extension with limited freedom in the in/out fuel pipes. I believe they all come with this p/n.

However the Coach OEMs and dealers often put the first 50 hours on the generators during construction and PDI and they have to/should do the first service due at 50 hours. So they remove -2513 and replace it with -0860 which is a push on, in-line filter and then secure the fuel pipes with tie wraps or something more permanent. To do this they remove the AN fittings for the -2513 making it difficult for the subsequent owner to use that filter p/n again without sourcing and installing the fittings. Parts which a typical dealer usually will not have in stock.

Nothing wrong with the -0860 except I have never found them in stock at any Onan dealer and have sourced them from Onan or some No-Name industrial stockist on the Internet via Amazon.

Tags
generator, service