Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Getting Texas Class B Drivers License Training

We are looking at upgrading to the Dynamax DX3 BH. But the first problem is I will need to get a Texas Class B drivers license.
What did you do to get training and what vehicle did you use for your skills test with the DMV?
George-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #2

No idea, Ohio does not require commercial license, yet.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #3

Its a non CDL requirement

It Texas a non CDL class B license is required if:
  1. Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more
  2. Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or more that is towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
Old 02-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

There was a thread on here a few months ago, big discussion of CDL's and what was needed by what state. It may not be long before all State's require something.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:15 AM   #5

There are quite a few threads over the different RV sites over non-CDL license for large RV's in various states. Texas is one of the bigger threads on most of the sites.

As far as the testing, you need to have the vehicle class you are applying for in the license, so if your current RV meets the Class B requirements (GVWR over 26k) you can use that to take your test in. Double check with the DPS before you take the test if they put air brake restrictions on the license, if so you may want to wait until you get your new rig. In either case, make sure you have a driver with a license for that class vehicle (or higher) with you when you go take the test.

As far as training, most of the other RVer's have posted they just get the manuals from the Texas DPS (TxDPS - Your Texas Drivers License / ID), read and go take the tests. I found at the Texas DPS web site, they have a bunch of training videos for CDL's, so those may help you since the test is closer to the CDL than normal car. If nothing else, see if a local truck driving school would help or let you sit through some of the classroom instructions.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansteenburg View Post
There are quite a few threads over the different RV sites over non-CDL license for large RV's in various states. Texas is one of the bigger threads on most of the sites.

As far as the testing, you need to have the vehicle class you are applying for in the license, so if your current RV meets the Class B requirements (GVWR over 26k) you can use that to take your test in. Double check with the DPS before you take the test if they put air brake restrictions on the license, if so you may want to wait until you get your new rig. In either case, make sure you have a driver with a license for that class vehicle (or higher) with you when you go take the test.

As far as training, most of the other RVer's have posted they just get the manuals from the Texas DPS (TxDPS - Your Texas Drivers License / ID), read and go take the tests. I found at the Texas DPS web site, they have a bunch of training videos for CDL's, so those may help you since the test is closer to the CDL than normal car. If nothing else, see if a local truck driving school would help or let you sit through some of the classroom instructions.
The problems that I have are that my current class A is under 26,001 pounds, so it does not qualify for the test. If it was over 26,001 pounds and I drove it over the the test station without someone sitting next to me who had a current class B, or higher license, then I would get a ticket for driving without a license.
Yes, TX has an air brake restriction, so I have to test with an air brake RV.
I will be calling some of the CDL schools in the area to see what they offer but just was wondering how others handled it.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to letsgorving Send a message via MSN to letsgorving Send a message via Yahoo to letsgorving
We've had an over 26K lb RV for 5 yrs, DX3 since last year. Do not have a class B, but my husband is going to get it now. In Maryland you get a CDL book and review sections applying to "class B" apparently the non-commercial test for the permit is the same as the commercial.

For on road skills the pre-trip inspection is shorter than for CDL, and there is a dedicated section on their website for that, and you do have to do the airbrake test. Took me several phone calls to get to someone who knew since most people don't bother with this. I do agree all states will move towards it. Makes sense, they are huge vehicles.

And we are lining up someone to go with him on test day with the appropriate license
Old 02-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #8

I went through this last year in Texas 1st you can take the written test at any tdps lic. station but for the driving part you will need a rig of 26001 or more with air brakes and you can make an appointment to take the road test at only CDL TEST STATIONS. The test is simple take about 30 - 45 mins.
mbc79708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #9

I got my class A cdl in 1972 when I was a heavy mechanic, I nedded to drive what I was working on. Now they have endorsements for doubles, triples, bus, school bus, hazmat, and so on. I got all those when they came out just because I was renewing anyway. When I decided to go into the grading and underground business it was nice to have all that out of the way. The written tests are easy, the drivers test was easy too, I had a friend ride to the DMV with me and my wife took him home. Don’t worry it’s a piece of cake.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #10

Go to a local school district , see if they will train you if you pay them. Most school districts will train you for free if you stay on for a set period of time.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #11
Back On The Go

My wife and I took a pre-FMCA rally training course from an independent instructor. He met us at the campground and spent 2 hours teaching preparation lists, tips on lining up on highway white lines, etc. then we began to actually drive. You might try thru FMCA to line one of these guys up. Very good and thorough for us. That was 15 yr ago and we still use his tips. Oh, the test is easy and straightforward. Make sure you get your air gauges up, seat and mirrors adjusted right and let tester know what you’re doing. My tester dinged me on stopping a few inches ahead of the stop sign, but she had to get me on something.

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #12

In addition to the above I have read in other discussions that you should do a walk around your vehicle just prior to the driving test with the instructor present. Do so even if the instructor tells you to start.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #13

As of last week, TX requires 2 written tests and the driving test. The new written test covers the Combination Vehicles, or Section 6. From my view, it looks like Section 5 will be necessary study. I don't have air brakes, but I sure do know how they work.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #14

Forgot to mention, that is for the Class A Exempt, combined vehicle over 26,001 lbs.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #15

Do you have to have a CDL physical exam? I know for those who drive for a living, they have to have an extensive exam and if your blood pressure is too high, you don’t pass.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #16

No physical, and it's a six year license.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
Back On The Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
In addition to the above I have read in other discussions that you should do a walk around your vehicle just prior to the driving test with the instructor present. Do so even if the instructor tells you to start.
yes

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #18

Wow.
Move to Arkansas. Class D License is all that's required for all RV's, period.
And here they have a one time permanent license, no annual fee or inspection. Registration says PERM under "Expiration Date".

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #19
ETF

I just sat my Class "B" last week so here is the latest info based on my experience.

There is only one written test consisting of 20 questions and you need to get 14 correct to pass. You only need to be familiar with Section 14 of the CDL manual, no air brakes section, although I did read that part.

I took the skills test at a CDL facility and not one of the Class "B" only testing sites listed on the TX DPS website. I was informed that any CDL skills testing site can carry out the Class "B" test but the Class "B" only sites can only carry out the Class "B" test.

The pretest inspection was straightforward. I was rather worried about that part because I had heard some horror stories from Class "A" CDL drivers. It consisted of answering a few questions and checking all the lights and normal safety features of the RV. The rest of the test consisted of the driving part which probably took about 30 minutes.

All in all, the test wasn't too bad. The tester was very professional and gave clear, easily understood instructions. My impression was that they didn't want you to be a RV mechanic but wanted to ensure that you could handle the vehicle safely in traffic and on varying types of roads.

As a footnote, I drove the RV to the testing station on my own, without an accompanying driver, and it was never mentioned. My impression was that they really wanted me to pass and were glad that I had spent the time and effort to take the test.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETF View Post
I just sat my Class "B" last week so here is the latest info based on my experience.

There is only one written test consisting of 20 questions and you need to get 14 correct to pass. You only need to be familiar with Section 14 of the CDL manual, no air brakes section, although I did read that part.

I took the skills test at a CDL facility and not one of the Class "B" only testing sites listed on the TX DPS website. I was informed that any CDL skills testing site can carry out the Class "B" test but the Class "B" only sites can only carry out the Class "B" test.

The pretest inspection was straightforward. I was rather worried about that part because I had heard some horror stories from Class "A" CDL drivers. It consisted of answering a few questions and checking all the lights and normal safety features of the RV. The rest of the test consisted of the driving part which probably took about 30 minutes.

All in all, the test wasn't too bad. The tester was very professional and gave clear, easily understood instructions. My impression was that they didn't want you to be a RV mechanic but wanted to ensure that you could handle the vehicle safely in traffic and on varying types of roads.

As a footnote, I drove the RV to the testing station on my own, without an accompanying driver, and it was never mentioned. My impression was that they really wanted me to pass and were glad that I had spent the time and effort to take the test.
@ETF, question on this... Can you take the written part at any location?

I plan to get one ASAP, but obviously need the RV first. I figure most cops... would be reasonable if you had the permit and were in the process of getting the license.
wfo9 is offline   Reply With Quote