Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2023, 05:30 AM   #1

Getting to know our 2023 Europa and loving it!

We’ve owned our Europa for about a month and still working on an efficient workflow upon campsite arrival. Here is what I’ve learned through trial and error:

*EQ stabilizer only work with chassis motor OFF
*Slides only work with Chassis motor ON
*Patio awning only extends and retracts with ignition ON

Assuming it is best practice to dump rear suspension first, stabilize coach second and extend slides third. I think it is kind of silly to turn off motor and then have to fire it up just to deploy the slides. Is there a way to change EQ to operate while motor idling? …that seems to make the most sense.
Thx
Old 03-18-2023, 07:20 AM   #2

safety reasons for the key on key off. It was noted in an earlier post that you only need to turn the key on, you do not need to start it unless the batteries are low.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:25 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Aglen View Post
We’ve owned our Europa for about a month and still working on an efficient workflow upon campsite arrival. Here is what I’ve learned through trial and error:

Assuming it is best practice to dump rear suspension first, stabilize coach second and extend slides third. I think it is kind of silly to turn off motor and then have to fire it up just to deploy the slides. Is there a way to change EQ to operate while motor idling? …that seems to make the most sense.
Thx
Yes, it is silly...it has to do with what each supplier "asks of us" for lock out.

We have recently told them how WE want it....with the goal being drive in, hit the park brake, level, operates slides, shut it down.

For you however, it is really only important to level first if you are very "unlevel". If you are pulling into a concrete pad, by all means, run the slides, then level the coach. Its all about common sense.

The awning is a known issue where we changed some of the ignition lock outs to prevent deployment while driving. I do think there is a revised wiring diagram that at least makes the wind sensor work properly when key is off. I would reach out to service...but I'll see if I can track that down and post it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:40 AM   #4

Thank you for the info. I installed a levelmate and the mobile app will confirm how level and if I can run slides out first. Good deal!
Old 03-18-2023, 08:17 PM   #5

The awning can only be deployed and retracted with the ignition ON? It seems for safety reason it could be designed to only be deployed/retracted with the ignition OFF.
huskerhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:49 PM   #6

[QUOTE=huskerhiker;2832032]The awning can only be deployed and retracted with the ignition ON?
RESPONSE: yes that is correct. This is why BC says a workaround is needed so the wind sensor can operate with the ignition is OFF; which is how I camp Hahaha
Old 03-18-2023, 08:51 PM   #7

Thanks. Yeah I would have thought that most camp with the ignition off. I know some other motorhomes don't let the awning operate with the engine on.
huskerhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by halla View Post
safety reasons for the key on key off. It was noted in an earlier post that you only need to turn the key on, you do not need to start it unless the batteries are low.
RESPONSE: Ah that makes sense. When we did our PID at the dealership the master tech said motor running, and that was probably because the AGM was dead. Thing is he didn’t make a distinction between ignition ON and motor ON Thanks for the input.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #9

Recommend reading the Europa Tips and Trips page to see if there's anything on there you didn't know there's some discussion around motors and slides, you can be plugged in or running the generator as well to run the slides (or just run them if the batteries are full, but that would pull them down). You also need to have your inverter on if you exepct the batteries to charge.

The awning thing is super weird to me, I definitely think for safety it should not operate with the ignition on, I had one deploy going down the road in an older rig when the wind sensor was wired backwards. I can't understand any reason having it only work with the ignition on would be a good idea. On mine thankfully it's not like this.
1998 Monaco Windsor 34PST
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:52 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
The awning thing is super weird to me, I definitely think for safety it should not operate with the ignition on, I had one deploy going down the road in an older rig when the wind sensor was wired backwards. I can't understand any reason having it only work with the ignition on would be a good idea. On mine thankfully it's not like this.
I have explained this before in depth, but will try to summarize here.
The awning is tied into the same lock outs as the slide rooms.

Slide room going out while driving (ignition on) is bad.
Slide room going out or coming IN (ignition OFF) is bad.

So, we set up a relay that ONLY sends power to the deploying components when BOTH parameters are present. Ignition AND park brake signal. We felt like the vehicle will be in this state the LEAST amount of time and it will ALWAYS be in a monitored state.

LCI recalled some of their slides as they could deploy on their own. We were trying to take "supplier error" out of the equation.

So, we can have a lock out when the ignition is OFF and parking brake set....but that means if you are just sitting there asleep, have the bed folded out, it could have come in.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:57 PM   #11

Thank you Brian, always great to have your insight. This makes absolute sense for the slides, but for the awning does it not basically means that the windsensor is useless? I mean I'd guess no one camps with the ignition on because it blares a warning horn when it's on and the chassis isn't running etc.... (I desperately wish I could snooze that beeper when you're leveling and running slides, because it's really loud). So it feels like the awning needs a different set of parameters. So I think what we're hearing is cost and simplicity meant going for the lowest common denominator on those rigs.

Again still happy mine doesn't do that, especially since we regularly will put the awning in and out while camping. In at night, so we don't hear it flapping if the wind picks-up, in when we leave, in case the wind gets bad or anything.
1998 Monaco Windsor 34PST
gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:11 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
. So I think what we're hearing is cost and simplicity meant going for the lowest common denominator on those rigs.
I'm not exactly sure why cost is everyone's "go to" reason for everything.

No, what you're hearing is that the awning has traditionally been wired to the same lock outs as the slides. (engine on, slide/awning does not work).

In trying to overcome a suppliers potential failure, we spent more money to wire in a relay and made it more complicated. Unfortunately, engineering forgot about the awning being on the same lock outs, and it got inadvertently included. it has since been changed and as mentioned above, engineering has a wiring fix for units in the field that we did not catch.

Old 03-20-2023, 02:28 PM   #13
Commercial Member

PS. Corporate has posted a "Tech Doc" on "Dealer Connect" so all dealers have access to the wiring fix. "Dealer Connect" is the dealers access to our warranty systems, including flat rate items, filing claims, communicating, and build schematics.

it only affected some Isata 5 and Europas.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:44 AM   #14

I don't know why our Europa (1 yr old) is different and there is probably a wiring problem but we are ok with it. For our Europa...

- the ignition key 'does not' need to be on to extend or retract the awning
- the EQ Smart-Level system can extend or retract with the ignition on or off and with the engine on or off (yes - I know the potential danger with this and fully accept the risk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Aglen View Post

Thx
AZFoxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoxes View Post
- the ignition key 'does not' need to be on to extend or retract the awning
- the EQ Smart-Level system can extend or retract with the ignition on or off and with the engine on or off
Ditto, Awning works when parked no key in ignition, use it constantly thru out the da/weekend with key tucked away. Have not tried it with key on.

The EQ/levelers works without key on, in fact key on is an error condition alarm if I recall. But can't say I have actually tried it with key on, but it sure complains (alarms) when key on for putting slides in and out :-P

Happy Trails!

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ignhavefun.gif
Paddock is offline   Reply With Quote