Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #1

GFI trips

I have a Dynaquest 2020.. after a trip i plug into my garage on multiple 20 amp circuits with GFI outlets and when the fridge comes on it trips the circuit on the GFI. Never been a issue in the past. The fridge works fine on the inverter ect. What on the fridge circuit could be causing the GFI in garage to trip? Any ideas on where to look. I looked under the fridge for any loose wire. Did not pull the full size fridge out. Trying to avoid that. Look forward to some steps to try and resolve this. TIA. Warren
warrenhill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhill3 View Post
I have a Dynaquest 2020.. after a trip i plug into my garage on multiple 20 amp circuits with GFI outlets and when the fridge comes on it trips the circuit on the GFI. Never been a issue in the past. The fridge works fine on the inverter ect. What on the fridge circuit could be causing the GFI in garage to trip? Any ideas on where to look. I looked under the fridge for any loose wire. Did not pull the full size fridge out. Trying to avoid that. Look forward to some steps to try and resolve this. TIA. Warren
My guess is the GFI outlet in the garage needs replaced.
US Army Veteran 🇺🇸
Previous coach 2017 Isata 3RW
Also,3 Diesel pushers, 1Bvan, 2 class Cs
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #3

Thanks i have tried this on 3 separate gfi circuits in the garage. All 20 amp service. Basically confirmed its not a bad gfi circuit
Old 09-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #4

Occasionally refrigerators are known to trip GFCIs. The small amount of back EMF when the compressor shuts off can make the GFCI think there is an imbalance between the phases. Same can happen with some fans when turned off. Best thing is to have a dedicated 30 amp circuit. If that is not possible, change out one of your GFCIs for a regular 20 amp outlet, with a big label DX power only! Could even put a locking cover over to prevent use with power tools, etc., in the garage.
Desert Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Thanks I think that may be the idea. FYI Its tripping on compressor start not shut down.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenhill3 View Post
... i plug into my garage on multiple 20 amp circuits with GFI outlets and when the fridge comes on it trips the circuit on the GFI. Never been a issue in the past. ... ... .
As described, “Never been a issue in the past”, suggests that something has changed in your refrigerator circuit, perhaps associated with the compressor or compressor start circuitry. My comment assumes that no one has upgraded or otherwise changed the associated system. I think you need to gain access to the refrigerator compressor to test the winding conductivity to ground (should read open or ∞) and the start capacitor (cheaper to simply replace it), and the wiring associated with the start circuitry. It may be advantageous having a refrigerator technician experienced with your brand to test these for you.

On an additional note: While it may not be unusual for some appliances with reactive loads to cause GFCI to trip, it is uncommon for a familiar combination which has worked together well to suddenly begin causing problems without one or the other having fault. In new installation, where GFCI is unavoidable, some folks have cured the problem by addition a surge suppressor (not so effective) to the offending appliance, while others have found it useful to add a component called a “snubber” to the offending circuitry (complicated).
Mobile Palace is a 25-ft Prism on a 2015 Sprinter with 200-watts roof solar.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." John Steinbeck
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #7

Great info. It happen after a 9 hour drive through Wyoming. I do have a 5 min delay urge protector lugged in to prevent it from starting while i connect disconnect power sources and allow the charger to adjust before another load is applied. Next step them will be to build a wood floor box to slide the fridge out onto so a teck can look at it from the back side since the fridge is raised off the floor in this rig. Great info and appreciate the input.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:59 AM   #8

We probably have different systems. On my 2017 I5 there is a setting in the xanterx menu to set the incoming amps source from 5 to 30 amps. This controls how much is sent to charge coach batteries and available for appliance use. If the coach draw is more than 20 amps total ( appliance usage + draw to charge batteries ) that will trip the house gfi.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #9

Before you rip apart your reefer, most inverters have GFIs on their output. If your does and it doesn't trip that...it ain't the refer per se.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #10

I never had a GFCI in a garage but my suggestion is to not use one, on the RV circuit they have their own GFCIs on the circuits that need the protection. 2 in line do not always play well together.

Does not matter that they have been fine in the past.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:34 AM   #11

Have not seen one in person, but is there access to just unplug the refer from the coach, and plug it into a sufficiently sized extension cord from said garage outlet(s)? This would at least potentially narrow things down to the refer or something to do with the coach itself.
1HasBeen is offline   Reply With Quote