Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 02:11 PM   #1

Girard awning replacing Carefree Awning

As stated in title can one replace the awning on a DX3 2018 37TS with a Girard awning. I know Dynamax made the switch a while back and then later switched the front cap. So, is there a Girard awning that Dynamax used prior to the cap change that is available. Or a part number that is available.
I assume the first girards used are "close" to the shape/structure of the carefree awning. FYI carefree is the wrong name for the awning on a 2018 DX3.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #2
Commercial Member

The cap and the awning are not related in any way really.

The main issues is backer location and depth. We had to completely redesign the backer locations to make the Girard Work.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The cap and the awning are not related in any way really.

The main issues is backer location and depth. We had to completely redesign the backer locations to make the Girard Work.
Brian,
Thanks for the info. I am wondering if an adapter plate can be made to accommodate the Girard awning connected to the mount points of the carefree awning?

are you willing to share dimensional differences?
Old 06-29-2022, 10:49 PM   #4

I’m wondering the same. The “carefree” awning should be named “useless” instead. Very finicky, rips if every adjustment isn’t perfect, and retracts in the slightest wind. I don’t even bother using it.

Would love to switch to somthing I could use!

—John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:13 AM   #5
Commercial Member

I am willing to share, but I don't know them and my engineer is on vacation.

I do know both installation manuals are available online. I don't know if it was just one direction difference or two...hard to think they would be any more inboard and it should just be front to back differences, possible more.
If "Search this Forum" does not yield an answer, please post questions as a "New Thread" (instead of sending a private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only.

Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
Old 06-30-2022, 09:22 AM   #6

Quote:
I am willing to share, but I don't know them and my engineer is on vacation.

I do know both installation manuals are available online. I don't know if it was just one direction difference or two...hard to think they would be any more inboard and it should just be front to back differences, possible more.
what girard part number did you use prior to the cap change?

I am assuming that the cap change altered the "lines" to better match the current girard unit and for molding issues.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:42 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRedburn View Post
what girard part number did you use prior to the cap change?

I am assuming that the cap change altered the "lines" to better match the current girard unit and for molding issues.
We never used a different Girard, it has always been the same, just length varies by floor plan. We have changed some "false awnings" to make certain sizes work, but I think you can just order that you need.

As for the cap, not really, we designed it not knowing what we would get during Covid shortages, so it was really designed to work with both.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
We never used a different Girard, it has always been the same, just length varies by floor plan. We have changed some "false awnings" to make certain sizes work, but I think you can just order that you need.

As for the cap, not really, we designed it not knowing what we would get during Covid shortages, so it was really designed to work with both.

what part number for a 37TS?
g2000 or ultra?
Old 06-30-2022, 10:42 AM   #9
Commercial Member

We use Ultra Slide out covers

I don't have the part number on the BOM, just AWNING, GIRARD VISION PATIO AWNING 14'3" X 10' W/LED

Old 06-30-2022, 09:10 PM   #10

Girard Awning VS Care Free

Quote:
As stated in title can one replace the awning on a DX3 2018 37TS with a Girard awning. I know Dynamax made the switch a while back and then later switched the front cap. So, is there a Girard awning that Dynamax used prior to the cap change that is available. Or a part number that is available.
I assume the first girards used are "close" to the shape/structure of the carefree awning. FYI carefree is the wrong name for the awning on a 2018 DX3.
Is Girard's awning better than the Care Free?
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:55 AM   #11
Commercial Member

They are both good awnings.

However, the way they "nest" into the box is different. The Carefree is far more finicky as it uses friction and a roller/bushing. Those rollers tend to tighten on themselves and end up with TOO much friction for the awning to get out.

The Girard just uses the motor to lock it in and it nests on a felt pad....I should say it "nestles" on a felt padded metal chair. (looks very comfy).

If it were mine (Carefree), I would make sure I had the brass bushings at each end and I would make sure those were VERY well lubricated.

Most people pay exactly zero attention to them

Old 07-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
They are both good awnings.

However, the way they "nest" into the box is different. The Carefree is far more finicky as it uses friction and a roller/bushing. Those rollers tend to tighten on themselves and end up with TOO much friction for the awning to get out.

The Girard just uses the motor to lock it in and it nests on a felt pad....I should say it "nestles" on a felt padded metal chair. (looks very comfy).

If it were mine (Carefree), I would make sure I had the brass bushings at each end and I would make sure those were VERY well lubricated.

Most people pay exactly zero attention to them
I have the brass rollers on mine and they are freely rotating. New fabric installed and operationally checked and adjusted in shop. Put awning out after a 500 ish mile trip. retracted awning and hear riiiiippp. WTF! Check adjustments and find that the adjusting screws have NO effect on rollup timing. New fabric $1000 new motor assembly $2200. Lost previous new fabric $1000. Installation est. 5 hours 165 per 825 tax ???

Carefree hard to get them to answer phone and rude.
Girard answers phone polite and willing to help. even has solution for retrofitting their awning on a coach setup with backings for Carefree.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:38 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
even has solution for retrofitting their awning on a coach setup with backings for Carefree.
That's good to know.

Old 07-03-2022, 11:04 PM   #14

After replacing the back awning with a new one...Brass Rollers and lubricating well, we seem to have the Carefree problems behind us. Fingers crossed...
EdandShelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #15
MSgt & MSgt, USAF Retired

Since the rollers are a known issue, will our new DX3 come with the brass rollers installed?
2020 Ultra CVO
clockcuff_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcuff_66 View Post
Since the rollers are a known issue, will our new DX3 come with the brass rollers installed?
We are not using Carefree Apex awnings at this time

Old 07-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #17
MSgt & MSgt, USAF Retired

Quote:
We are not using Carefree Apex awnings at this time

Thanks Brian
2020 Ultra CVO
clockcuff_66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 03:25 PM   #18
Commercial Member

as a side note, the brass rollers are not an option at this time on the awning. They didn't at the time even have them as a kit (published). We stumbled onto it. We have had customers with the nylon ones have no issues, or lubrication seemed to work, those where that did not work, brass would work, but even then, lubrication was often a difference maker.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:08 PM   #19

Quote:
I have the brass rollers on mine and they are freely rotating. New fabric installed and operationally checked and adjusted in shop. Put awning out after a 500 ish mile trip. retracted awning and hear riiiiippp. WTF! Check adjustments and find that the adjusting screws have NO effect on rollup timing. New fabric $1000 new motor assembly $2200. Lost previous new fabric $1000. Installation est. 5 hours 165 per 825 tax ???

Carefree hard to get them to answer phone and rude.
Girard answers phone polite and willing to help. even has solution for retrofitting their awning on a coach setup with backings for Carefree.
Ken-I solved the ripping when closing (with new fabric too) problem by using those adjustment screws. We found that you have to turn them like 20 revolutions to make a 1" difference in how far the awning retracts. Took some time to get it just right but now the awning docks and stows gently without putting any torque on the rolled up fabric.

I suspect the original settings from the factory were "correct" when the fabric was perfectly smooth and rolled on at the factory. But once the awning gets used, rolled up not perfectly aligned, gets wrinkles, etc, that make the roll diameter increase enough that in the last 2" it over-tightens the fabric and you get rips.

Randy & Dee
2018 DX3 37TS
"Orange Crush"
RV Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Randy View Post
Ken-I solved the ripping when closing (with new fabric too) problem by using those adjustment screws. We found that you have to turn them like 20 revolutions to make a 1" difference in how far the awning retracts. Took some time to get it just right but now the awning docks and stows gently without putting any torque on the rolled up fabric.

I suspect the original settings from the factory were "correct" when the fabric was perfectly smooth and rolled on at the factory. But once the awning gets used, rolled up not perfectly aligned, gets wrinkles, etc, that make the roll diameter increase enough that in the last 2" it over-tightens the fabric and you get rips.
I hear what you are saying. Issue is I had gone through all the adjustments after installing the replacement fabric while in my shop. Had opened and closed many times to get it "just right" so that it docked softly. Used the awning after first 500 ish mile trip I retracted awning and it docked and then ripped. got ladder out and turned adjusting screw to decrease the timing which should have stopped the awning prior to dock and it just continued to pull in again. I felt no "drag" on the adjusting screw in either direction (many, many turns both ways) . awning is docked and added 100 lb wire ties to secure and removed power. I have a new Girard Vision awning 19.5' (outer case measurement since my Crapfree awning is 21') on order with a 1 piece mounting plate (full length) that eliminates any mount issues when using multiple mount plates and resolves "backing" differences between Carefree and Girard. I also ordered Girard wireless control system and LED lighting.
Also, have multiple RV service centers (girard authorized) within an hours drive.

I am done with Carefree.

Tags
awning