Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #1

Exclamation Gray tank is filling up when connected to city water

I recently purchased a new Dynamax Isata 3. When I hook up to city water the gray tank gets full within 30 minutes. At first I thought it was a rookie mistake but the system is clearly marked for black flush, city or tank usage. I hook up to the city input. The fresh water tank is not affected nor my blank tank. Just the gray tank. Has anyone seen this before? It's covered under warranty and I will take it in certainly but want to know if this has happened to anyone else. I would think they would have check valves to prevent this but....Thanks for any advice!
ferrisjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #2

I just wonder. are you sure it is the gray tank that is filling? how do you know? via the monitor panels lights? how do you empty it? is it possible that it is actually the fresh water tank that is filling? the only way a waste tank (such as the gray tank) should fill is if water is flowing down a drain. if you had a leak or something in the fresh water lines you would get water all over but none would be going down a drain. the input water lines just don't go directly to a waste tank. it is possible to fill a fresh water tank directly from a city water input port. no saying you don't have a problem, but it sure would be good to double check. a key piece of information is how you drain the water out of the tank. a fresh water drain is totally different than a waste tank drain.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #3

Somebody posted a thread a few weeks ago with this same problem. You might want to see if the OP of that thread ever found the problem. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-156780-2.html

Bruce
Old 05-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisjc View Post
I recently purchased a new Dynamax Isata 3. When I hook up to city water the gray tank gets full within 30 minutes. At first I thought it was a rookie mistake but the system is clearly marked for black flush, city or tank usage. I hook up to the city input. The fresh water tank is not affected nor my blank tank. Just the gray tank. Has anyone seen this before? It's covered under warranty and I will take it in certainly but want to know if this has happened to anyone else. I would think they would have check valves to prevent this but....Thanks for any advice!
It's highly possible your tanks are labeled wrong. Open the gray valve and dump 5 gals of water down the shower. See where it comes out.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
Commercial Member

1. make sure the levers are set properly.
2. do you have a pressure reducer on? The water pump has a check valve installed in it. When the pressure gets too high...it will feed water back through the check valve to prevent over pressurization of the lines. If the pressure is too high, it will go through the water pump back into the fresh tank...not really the gray, but then my question would be "how do you know its the gray tank"...water overflowing? that could be the fresh overflow valve.

The fresh isn't really connected to the gray system except through the drainage system. so something else would have to be on.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #6

Smile Thanks for Replys

Appreciate all the reply's and other threads posted previously. They were helpful to say the least on things I will look at this coming weekend as I have another trip planned. To answer back on some inquiries: Gray tank meter full, empty on fresh. I opened gray valve and 35 gallons came running out. I kept it open until nothing else came out. Same routine after my first trip. This after washing hands and cleaning dishes. No showers. This has happened on both trips (only 2 trips so far) and was fortunate to have full-hookup. Still I didn't recognize problem until washing dishes and water suddenly appears on the floor. Once flushed the gray tank works OK and responds properly on normal basis for cleaning, showers, etc. All tanks were empty (minus the black with fresh water cover) prior to those 2 trips. Thanks to reply's I now know the check valve would cause fresh to overfill and that isn't my case. Still I think the water pump might be a source to look into so this weekend I will keep water pump engaged even though I will have city input. I do have regulator installed on input hose. Will keep you posted! I have the same valve setup that one person mentioned and I will certainly keep that in mind if it occurs again as it could be messed up. Again, I am just a pup at this point and appreciate all the assistance. Thanks again!
ferrisjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, tank, water