Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Great Invention for DX3 and XL Owners

Just recived my 2019 Dynaquest XL. Very happy except for the continued cracking tiles and toilet issue. God willing, both will be resolved soon. Dynamax and Brian Clemons have been just super.

When I ordered my unit, I copied a design concept seen on a Renegade. I asked to have a second 3,000 watt inverter installed to run the main AC unit. Given the alternator throws a wopping 270+ AMPs, I thought it should have no problem supporting this. And given Renegade has been doing it on the same M112 chassis + Cummins 9.0, seemed road tested and proven. This would save having to run my generator all the time when going down the road.

So far, it has worked great. When we start and warm up the main engine, we turn on both inverters. One runs the fridge, mircowave, and outlets. The other runs the main AC. Best of all, no need to waste fuel and hours on the generator; saving it for the boondocking adventures.

A great application and would strongly recommend to anyone.

Safe and blessed travels to all.

Tom
tchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #2
Cruisin

Does the Freightliner dash A/C not keep you cool enough when driving? I had the dash heat going last night and about cooked myself going down the road. I have no experience with the dash A/C yet.
DX3MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #3

This past July I drove across I 90 in South Dakota, the outside temperatures were ranging from 96 to 104. The cab air conditioner did a pretty good job of keeping us cool without having to turn on the roof ac. We were heading west so the late day sun was pretty rough but never need the roof units.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
Señor Miembro

warranty issue?

I'm curious about this idea. I asked the dealer (MHSRV) if they could install the extra inverter for me before I pick up the RV as it is August in Texas now and with a family of 5 from the cool Pacific North West, I don't want anyone melting in the cabin.
MHSRV seemed to think this could violate a warranty somehow. Does anyone know if it would?
Webefine, did you have family riding in back? I expect long runs like 6-10hrs and people trying to sleep in the very back. Will that be a problem with heat w/o running the genny on the road?
Mr. Clemens, is there a warranty issue here with either Dynamax or Freightliner?

Thanks,
Rob
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #5

I did not have anyone riding in the rear.
Webefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
Commercial Member

It would only void the warranty on anything you might break as a result. As I’ve mentioned before, there is federal law on this. It’s only an issue if you messed up any wiring.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchristopher View Post
Just recived my 2019 Dynaquest XL. Very happy except for the continued cracking tiles and toilet issue. God willing, both will be resolved soon. Dynamax and Brian Clemons have been just super.

When I ordered my unit, I copied a design concept seen on a Renegade. I asked to have a second 3,000 watt inverter installed to run the main AC unit. Given the alternator throws a wopping 270+ AMPs, I thought it should have no problem supporting this. And given Renegade has been doing it on the same M112 chassis + Cummins 9.0, seemed road tested and proven. This would save having to run my generator all the time when going down the road.

So far, it has worked great. When we start and warm up the main engine, we turn on both inverters. One runs the fridge, mircowave, and outlets. The other runs the main AC. Best of all, no need to waste fuel and hours on the generator; saving it for the boondocking adventures.

A great application and would strongly recommend to anyone.

Safe and blessed travels to all.

Tom
Hi Tom,
I think that’s a great idea. We have children in the back when traveling and frequently run the generator for the air con. Did the factory install or was it your dealer? Can you supply details, make etc. and a picture of it installed.

Many thanks Bob
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #8
Commercial Member

We installed it as part of a custom option request. It’s just another inverter like the one you have now. It’s dedicated to the living room AC circuit.

We used to offer it, but then Dynamax got people (or person) that felt like it should work all the time. They drove cross country and the alternator could not keep up, drained the batteries after 10 or 12 hrs of driving. Either sued or threatened to sue so they stopped offering it. With the AGM’s we run today and the output, I don’t see why it couldn’t keep up. We’ve debated offering it again. The XL was originally designed for it as standard and the EE at the time felt like it was “misleading” because it would only run for 3-4 hours. 3-4 hours with no alternator. But dry camping with the AC on is not what it’s for. I think if we properly explain/disclaim it, we would be fine.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #9

Great. I’m going to order it on my new XL 2 bath bunkhouse

Bob
Motorhome1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:45 AM   #10

I'm wondering also if the Magnum hybrid type inverters could also provide for additional roof Solar incoming power to offset the a/c usage, as well as the Alternator's output...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #11

Renegade (or at least the dealers) pitch it for use while driving and for use during camp ground quiet hours. The latter makes zero sense to me. Even with 4 group 8d AGM’s, you’d drain the bank in a few short hours. Two questions about the setup:

1 - When two inverters are installed, are both capable of using their ‘charger’ capabilities simultaneously? My assumption is no, but I haven’t been able to find a clear answer on this. If only one inverter can charge the battery bank, then you’re limited to 150A of charging current. The Atwood pulls 13A while cooling. If you take other AC loads and inverter efficiency into account, you could envision a scenario where close to 200A DC was being pulled from the battery bank while rolling down the road. Even with 3 group 4d AGM’s you’d want to kick on the generator to recharge the batteries after 6 hours or so I’d think.

2 - Maybe they already have this, but is there a way to outfit the A/C’s with some sort of start capacitor to reduce the ‘locked rotor’ amp draw? The Atwood shows 63A. This is under the inverter’s 80A max output, but that seems like a lot to ask from the system.

Cool stuff (pun intended). I’d love to have this option as well...just never been able to fully get my head around it.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #12

Soft start like this is definitely needed when running AC off batteries.

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

Your questions on charging vs discharge are still valid I think. That's a lot of amps to be pulling through those batteries regularly
Old 08-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #13

if 'not' running the generator due to SOUND is the main goal, then using the inverter/alternator versus the generator while traveling makes little sense, other than some possible fuel savings, since your engine is running, and you are moving.
I can certainly see the benefit for 'overnighting', though, during hot months when the generator usage is limited to only certain 'daylight' hours, which is where it would shine.

Few folks walking around the campground would be able to understand 'how' your roof air conditioner could be running without hearing anything else to go with it! (and your shore power cord has not magically found some type of 'hidden' outlet!)

as a side note, about generator 'sound', and limited 'times' at certain campgrounds:
I often find it 'amusing' that while I cannot run my quiet generator during the late evening hours, many folks are constantly coming and going during the same times in their loud, smoke spouting, diesel turbo trucks, with no regards to how their 'sound' is also effecting everyone else. Not that I'm against them having diesel trucks for their fifth-wheels and RVs, but that somehow the 'generator' has taken a bad rap and gotten the 'boot' when it comes to being able to use IT while camping. Laughing loudly and kids running around the park during all hours is not banned. Smoke and fire next door until all hours of the night are not banned. Loud music seems to be 'accepted'...yet that old 'bad' generator is not.

I apparently am going to have to get a second inverter : )
Old 08-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #14

Anyone have a wiring diagram (even generic) how to add this? Also, would the AC still work when running the generator or plugged in??

Thank you.

Chad
Old 08-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #15

your question brings to light the requirements to 'make this work', as, yes, you would certainly want the a/c to run off either of the three power options - which would require a sub-panel for the Inverter's power, but to also have the available incoming ATS power from either Shore or Generator.

It's never as simply as just 'adding an inverter'...

just like those outlets you have under your 'normal' inverter, you would need the a/c unit wired to the sub-panel, to it's own individual circuit breaker.
When you are on the inverter, it's power can be run to the subpanel via a 'reverse fed' main breaker, providing power to the power bar both it and the a/c breaker is attached to.
When you have power thru the ATS(shore or gen), the Inverter senses this 120v power, via it's 'charger wire' in the Main Panel... it's automatic relay then switches to 'pass thru' mode, providing 120v power to the same sub-panel.

at least that's one way to do it....

my coach has a Progressive Industries 'integrated' 50amp Main Panel with 30amp 'sub-panel', for the same purpose - an 'all in one' simple unit, yet it has the two 'LEGS' of 50amp power for each power bar, behind the individual circuit breakers, and the 'separate' sub-panel breakers, but which are on their 'own' power bar, from the inverter - all in a 'panel' that look no different than your 'normal' main panel - it took me quite a while to 'figure' that out!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #16

Brian have you ever put this option into an XL? I have a 2017 37RB and the front AC works off the inverter when traveling down the road. Between the Alt. & the solar I very seldom get below 12.8V on the batteries going down the road. We bought it used so it may have been added by previous owner.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler View Post
Brian have you ever put this option into an XL? I have a 2017 37RB and the front AC works off the inverter when traveling down the road. Between the Alt. & the solar I very seldom get below 12.8V on the batteries going down the road. We bought it used so it may have been added by previous owner.
Yes, that's what the original Poster was referring to. His was a special request, but the very first XL with multiplex that we designed had the 2nd inverter. Not sure if that was yours or the owner added it. Hard to tell.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I was talking to a guy who was camped next to me in FL. He had a 5000w inverter, solar panels (1300w?), lithium ion battery (I think in the 300ah range) and a controller with an autostart feature for his generator should the voltage fall too low. He could run his AC for 5-6hrs on just the battery and almost indefinitely on a sunny day. I haven't done the calculations on the numbers and may not have remembered them correctly, so if they're wrong that's my fault, but it was quite the impressive system. Also came with a hefty price tag.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Just for clarity, I said "we have debated offering it again"....I did not say we were offering it, or to call in and try to add it. Just so we're clear. We are continuing to test and see what kind of life we can get out of it before we try another one.

Also, it requires hand wiring since our harness does not cover that install. Stay tuned.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #20
Señor Miembro

Please help educate me

So if our alternator puts out 3,300 watts and we already have the Magnum Energy inverter (Model #2812) that puts out 2,800 watts steady or 3,900 peak, It seems we are already using most all the available power from our alternator, right? So why does adding a second inverter help run the A/C? Now a 2nd inverter attached to a 2nd alternator would make sense. What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alternator.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	233301  
Rancher Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent